Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Films : Parts 1 & 2

lexiepiper

I didn't mind the camping too much, although I do recall it dragging on a bit. But I did miss Hogwarts. I really need to re-read this before the movie comes out. Now for the dilemma: do I re-read the entire series or just the last book?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire series!

(It is something I've been thinking of doing for a while now, perhaps it could be made a forum challenge, or something?!).

Ooh, that might be a good idea. It's been a while since there's been good discussion of the HP books.

As someone with no intention of re-reading all 4000+ pages I urge you to read them all :lol:

Hey, that doesn't sound right....:)

I was going to reread the whole series but I don't own books one or two (which aren't my favourite ones). I'll have to start at Prisoner of Azkaban.

I have only read the last book once (and skim-read it once), but I can remember the 'tent scene' dragging on for ages. I hope they don't do that in the movie.

I'm reading book 7 again. My plan is to go backwards though. I just LOVE this book so much! I think I love it more than my kids did!

Have any of you purchased the HP Ultimate Extended series? I have book two but I'm having a hard time finding the first one. I really love these because it goes indepth about the creation of the movies, etc.

I'm reading book 7 again. My plan is to go backwards though. I just LOVE this book so much! I think I love it more than my kids did!

For some reason, I read that as:

I'm reading book 7 again. My plan is to go backwards though. I just LOVE this book so much! I think I love it more than my kids!

Quite right too!

I know a few people that were wondering about when the film would split, and just saw this ~

"The script [for Part 1] was written with an end in mind. The first draft was written with one ending and as we developed it, it went to another ending. And then we reverted in part to the original ending because we felt it allowed us a more emotional conclusion and felt like it was more complete, as it were. But we've added this other scene which I think is really amazing - and I can't tell you where the break is, I'm sorry - but I do feel it will be incredibly dramatic, very moving and make people want to watch the next film." -David Heyman

It looks like unless it leaks, we'll be waiting until it hits the cinema to find out where it breaks.

Here's the sad thing:

As far as I can remember, all the films had amazing trailers. So every time, I was like:this time they got it right! But nope. The only really good adaptations were 1 & 2 as far as I can recall. Because from then on, the scripts were NOT good. They ended up confusing actually for those not familiar with the books. And the fact that part 7 is, too, directed by David Yates, doesn't help much.

If I'm eager to watch it? Yes. If I think it will please me? Not so sure.

Films one and two are pretty close to the books because they are the only books that were short enough to do a straight adaptation of!

Personally, I think they rather mangled The Prisoner of Azkabhan, but I have enjoyed the three adaptations after that because they distilled the essence of those books into three good films.

I'm concerned that in splitting the last book we will end up with two films that sag in places.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the trailer last night before Eclipse and my it looked intense! I'm looking forward to seeing it since this'll be the one and only HP movie I'll have seen in the theatre. Well that and part II of this next one :D.

Well I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan and even though I don't think any of the movies have quite lived up to the books themselves I still love them. I cannot wait to see this film... it looks fab! I will, however, be waiting for the DVD release though as I'm not a huge fan of the cinema.

I absolutely can't wait for this one, even if it doesn't hold up to the book - well, let's be honest, it probably won't. Nevertheless, I'm excited, might have to have a re-read over summer.

If you've read the books that should be easy enough to work out, surely?

Having seen the "In 3D" line at the end of the trailer I'm going to wait and watch this on DVD in good ole 2D. I already begrudge having to pay

Beng in 3D doesn't mean it won't also be shown in 2D though does it? I am fed up of 3D tbh. It very rarely adds anything to a film - and those glasses are danged uncomfortable after an hour or so.

• 1 month later...