Malcolm Pryce's Aberystwyth series

I wondered what people think of the Aberystwyth series by Malcolm Pryce?

I read the first one, Aberystwyth Mon Amour, and didn't really get it! I was so confused by the bizarre cast of incongruous characters, I completely lost the plot, literally! I had little idea of what was going on, and I cared even less! I found myself comparing it to Jasper Fforde, who seems able to sustain an exciting plot, while setting it in a fantastical and unfamiliar parallel universe. With Fforde, I find the setting entertaining and engaging - with Pryce, just dense and confusing!

I really wanted to like them! And am considering persevering and trying another one - any recommendations?

I read the first one last year. I'd been attracted by the cover for a long time, and it had a promising start, but overall, I don't think it was a successful book. I never really felt the sense of the time period, and the surreal elements merely grated on me.

Oddly enough, I'd been hoping he'd do for detective fiction what Jasper Fforde does for the classics, but I was sorely disappointed.

At least I know now, and won't be tempted by the other books in the series, no matter how intriguing I find the covers!

I've read the first two and have had the third on my TBR pile for a few years now.

I'd say the books revolve around one joke/idea - Film Noir set in Wales - and it get's stretched a long way.

The second is more of the same really, so if you didn't get on with the first, I wouldn't advise going further!

Agree with all that. I read Aberystwyth a while back, and, while there's a germ of an idea there (although not a particularly original one), you'd have to be a better writer than Malcolm Pryce is to make it into a worthwile book, let alone a series. Disappointing, overall.

I really enjoyed the series and have read them all. I was constantly reminded of Raymond Chandler which I imagine was the idea. I enjoyed these more than Jasper FForde which although enjoyable were much more surealistic. Yes, Malcom Pryce's concept is a one joke idea but I thought the whole idea of a Druid mafia running a small Welsh town with all the intrigue that followed was fun. However I do think that if you didn't enjoy the first one there is no point in persevering as the others are all in the same style/pattern.