Eurovision 2010

Julia

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably be watching, although without the fun/excitement I usually have. I've watched every year since I was about 8 years old, but this is the first year I've felt completely ambivalent about watching, simply because I think this is quite the weakest crop of entries in a long time. There are barely any tunes I like and only one that I would listen to outside of Eurovision (the Turkish entry - it's fab!). In previous years, there have been at least half a dozen or so that I've really liked.

The UK entry sucks royally - more like "That Sounds Cr@p To Me", but at least it's not the worst of the bunch. That said, I think we still stand a good chance of coming in at the tail end of things again. With all the political voting, the poor old UK pretty much stands alone with few friends to cast a few votes our way. We usually get a nod from the likes of Ireland and Malta, but even they couldn't justify giving us more than a couple of points for our entry this year.

I think Azerbaijan should do rather well this year - their entry is pretty decent, and Safura's performance in the semi-final was strong, and having the opening slot is good as it'll open proceedings with a bang and hopefully be remembered, rather than lost somewhere in the middle.

Denmark has a pretty strong entry too, and going on last should stand them in good stead, as they'll be fresh in the voters' minds.

Turkey is my favourite entry - a really rockin' track, but it's bang in the middle (14th entry). That said, the UK is on just 2 songs before that and anything that comes after that is bound to sound good. the song in between them is the entry from Georgia and is quite ballad-y, so Turkey should stand out after those two.

The Ukrainian entry isn't bad, but after all the fuss of them having to change their song, they might have that counted against them in the voting (their song had previously been released as a single, which is against the rules of Eurovision - those who flout the rules often find themselves punished, even after they've rectified things!).

I HATE the Netherlands' entry this year - it reminds me of The Birdie Song.

We usually cheer for Latvia, but they've entered a dull-ish ballad this year, so we'll be cheering for Turkey - I reckon they stand an excellent chance of finishing in the top 5.

A few years ago, it got REALLY good, music-wise. There was one year (I think it was 2008) where there was a good handful of songs that we still listen to in our house now. When Finland won with Hard Rock Hallelujah in 2006, it was a big turning point for Eurovision - it effectively meant that ANY kind of music could win it, not just the pop-pap they usually showcased, and since then more countries have been a bit more experimental with their entries. As a result, we've seen some much heavier rock-based tracks really coming into the competition, which is great. There are trends, of course - one year, at least half the entires had the same kind of sound (very Turkish/Greek), which continued for a couple of years (I think it was after Greece won, actually).

Of course, there's political voting, but that's part of the fun of Eurovision - guessing who's fallen out with who since last year - LOL!

And of course, we used to have Wogan's acerbic wit in commentary, but to my VERY great surprise, Graham Norton did very well when he stepped into the breach last year, and I look forward to listening to his cheeky sarcasm. I'm not a fan of his, but he was a surprisingly good choice to commentate for the UK. :(

I must admit I watched the first semi-final and there wasn't one song I really liked, I never thought "wow, this ist great". Nevertheless, I will watch is this evening. But I don't think that there will be a song which I would like to buy afterwards (ok, I allready bought the CD from the German singer, but beside that...)

But I still enjoy my CD from Yohanna, who was second last year :(

I am half watching and half on the computer. on the bcf and facebook.

Havent found a favourite yet, but have liked a couple. Trouble is I am having a senior moment and can't remember what countries they were. :lol:

Edited by deneng