Stephen King

Michelle

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was on my Christmas list. My grandma has always bought me hard-back King books. I was so tempted to grab it from Barnes and Nobles but double checked and Grandma already ordered it for me for Christmas. I am super excited to start it, especially seeing others say it is more in the 'old King' style!:D

I can't wait to get hold of Under the Dome, it sounds like an intriguing concept :D

Alas, i have other titles of King's that i must embark upon. I finished The Stand about two weeks ago, a novel which i first attempted in 2005 but never quite got into, so let myself become more familiar with King's style before delving into it again.

A fantastic read and epic in every sense of the word.

I finally got my hands on this yesterday, was so excited! It's definitely old-school King, a really gripping read. I find that with some of his newer novels (eg Lisey's Story, Duma Key etc) they can be quite boring and unengaging - I own a copy of Lisey's Story, read it once and never looked at it again. I'd say this is an instant classic, and I am intrigued to see what will become of the planned mini-series. Oh, readers beware, MANY sad parts, nearly got the sniffles a few times :D

It's so good to see King back at the top of his game, hope everyone enjoys Under the Dome as much as I did!

Yes he was! I have read and seen various interviews with King and he keeps saying how, i think his sister in law(?) told him it was a lot like the Simpsons movie and he didn't even know what that plot was about, and he was like ARGH OH NO :lol: But like SK says, two snowflakes are never the same, even though they are of the same origin, so it's all good :D

I made a comment about the basic idea of a community being isolated in a dome having been used in an episode of the television series Roswell, and (sorta the same but not really) in Superman comics (referring to Kandor). I was quickly corrected by someone more knowledgable about old books than myself - there was a publication in the seventies which used exactly the same setup. What goes around...

I am about three fourths through "Under the Dome" and I really have enjoyed it so far. I will reserve final judgment and a comparison against IT or The Stand until I am finished.

Michelle, you must be finished by now. How did you enjoy Under the Dome?

The dome looks great and new works from the true king of horror is always good (re-reading some of his earlier work) but do you think he was a bit disappointed when the Simpsons movie come out before!!! LOL

Oh, I know! Especially since quite a few people have been pointing out the similarities - I would imagine he is slightly annoyed (to say the least!) with the writer's of The Simpson's Movie

King started writing Under the Dome back in 1976 and put it aside. I am glad that he decided it was time to write the book. I finished the book last night. I will give it a "Very Good" rating and much better than most that he has written lately. However, "The Stand and "IT" are still 2 of my favorites by King, along with the Gunslinger series.

After finishing "Under the Dome", a word of caution...."Beware of - sorry, you gotta read the book". :(

I'm looking forward to getting onto this one :( I'm just very happy and grateful to live in the time of such a fantastic figure of a writer, he is consistent as hell, different and offers lively, honest and provocative stories.

Well reading here about this new book I might give it a try. Reading the synopsis and knowing SK's style I didn't think it would be very entertaining, cause even though I love his books, they can be a bit of a slow read at times, some parts at least. So when this one comes available at my library, I'll get it. Not risking spending money on it just yet, if I like it, I'll buy it. :(

My favourites of his are It, The Stand (best one), The Talisman (okay I just looked this one up online, and IMDB has a film set up for it in 2012.. almost choked, I love this book!), Dark Tower series... as far as I've gotten, which is like book 3. I re-read, by book three I am sick of it for a while, put it down, and by the time I want to pick up again, I've forgotten a lot.. :friends0:

His recent books are boring though. I started Cell. Apocalyptic book, yay? No. Just boring.

The Dark Tower series is amazing, i would seriously consider restarting and undertaking the full journey. The Gunslinger is very plodding and slow (understandable considering King was early in his writing career at the time and didn't really know where he was going with this) but after that it really starts hurtling along, all the 'slow' parts tend to make sense upon re-reads. Naturally, King is not without flaws, but he's a very consistent writer, especially in said series :friends0:

The Gunslinger is a very slow book indeed (read it as De Scherpschutter :( ), but if you consider the books as one, it's only normal SK.. He always takes a while to get a book going, and in long books, like The Stand or It, it seems to take forever. So am used to that. What I do think, is that it might make a difference wether these books are read translated or not. I know I keep saying that in other posts, but for the books that originally were written in English, and that I have read both in English and Dutch, I always liked the original language better. So, I'll see if I like them better in English.

Also, seems I just read the first two books, just checked and nothing about book three sounds familiar. :friends0:

Yes, i do agree he has a lot of slow and clunky moments as he builds the story and plot up (sometimes it is unneeded i agree, a lot of moments in The Stand) i feel in IT for the most part, it all ties in very effectively upon re-reading. The Gunslinger is a very slow start and bad move on King's part, as i feel it stops a lot of readers going ahead with what is a wonderful tale and quite probably a masterpiece of literature in time.

Has anybody else heard that Stephen is working on a sequel to 'The Shining'?

It is tentatively titled 'Doctor Sleep' and deals with

a 40 year old Danny Torrance coping with the mental scars of his experieces in The Overlook. He works in a mental hospital(?) and helps people who are close to death with his 'shine', to make it easier and more comforting for them to pass on. That is the very basic potential idea behind it all.

It is fascinating and i am so excited, King has never done a sequel (Dark Tower series aside) to a standalone novel, except for the collaboration with Straub, it's a new challenge for him and it will be interesting to see how he handles it, as the first novel is undoubtably a classic of the genre.

He is also working on another Dark Tower novel, which is equally as intriguing, i wonder where and how that will fit in, perhaps some more backstory to the mysterious Roland :D

Oh wow, Rawr!! I've not heard any sequel for the Shining at all, but that's very cool news :). I will keep my eyes and ears out now. The premise sounds really intriguing though and I would love to see what he does with it. I haven't read any King since 'It' so this would definitely end my draught :D.

He is in planning stages of writing it, it is extremely cool to think that he could be writing another classic right at this very second :D

• 3 weeks later...

I am around a quarter into Under The Dome and don't know what to think thus far. The plot is intriguing sure, i like the main character, i don't know how i feel about any of the others. There have been a couple of scenes which imo seriously do not add anything to the story, they just seem to be there for the sake of shock value, and it's terrible. The subplot, which i suspect links to the main story down the line, is okay but pretty badly done so far. I really hope it picks up. Not one of King's best (so far!) in my honest opinion.

My favourite author of all time, by a country mile. I love the way all his books are linked and woven together. For example, the link between Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game, and of course the re-occuring Derry themes.

My favourite so far is probably Gerald's Game, followed closely by Misery. I also love the Dark Tower series and even bought the comic book adaptations. I thought the Gunslinger was amazing, but disagree that it was slow to start---I thought it was quite hard to follow at first, but moved along nicely for me. The only one of his books I gave up on was Insomnia, because that was just too slow for me, and I had a sneaking suspicion it was going in the aliens direction which doesn't interest me at all.

He reminds me a lot of H P Lovecraft. That kind of steady build up to an unexpected conclusion. Brilliant.

Wow, I would have never compared SK to H.P. Lovecraft. Guess if you say it like that, it sort of makes sense. I love both authors, but SK for me, is more the author I used to like best, my tastes have changed to the point where I think a lot of his books are boring. Ten years ago, I loved his work, pretty much all of it. Now, I barely read it anymore, not because I think it's bad.. but because now I love reading other authors, say, H.P. Lovecraft. :lol:

You can see a distinct Lovecraftian influence within a few of his books, definitely a major factor in SK's writing. IT is obviously the most clear cut example, fantastic novel, the way he builds up to that conclusion is absolutely perfect imo, man i love that story :lol: It's also the way he introduces and plays with that theme of madness and inability of the human mind to deal with the unknown, a very interesting thing and does fit in a lot of his work. I like Lovecraft and it is because of wanting to look deeper into King's influences that i have discovered some equally brilliant writing ;)

Edited by Rawr