Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

I finished Tess Gerritsen's Keeping the Dead today, I did enjoy it despite wincing a bit when I discovered there was archaeology in it, but apart from a few bits of rubbish but I think anyone reading about their proffession does that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow. I should get on with The Polysyllabic Spree, which I was half way through before starting Miss Smilla, but I think I might read something else before getting back to that :blush:

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum :blush: I've just finished cloud atlas by David Mitchell and am about five chapters into The pregnant widow by Martin Amis.

Welcome to the forum. :-). I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Martin Amis.

I read the second short story in Nocturnes but so far, I don't think Ishiguro strength is the short story and its structure (plus one of his characters dismisses Ella Fitzgerald - how dare he!!!!).

Also made a sneaky start on What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell. Only read about 10 pages, but am intrigued already.

I started The Summoning yesterday, read straight through that and on to The Awakening which I finished off this afternoon, now going to start The Reckoning shortly :lol:

I take it by the speed at which you're reading these that they're good? :tong: I have them on my wishlist so I certainly hope so! :blush:

I started Desire Unchained by Larissa Ione last night and finished it this evening so going to go straight on to the next in the series, Passion Unleashed. :D

I started The Summoning yesterday, read straight through that and on to The Awakening which I finished off this afternoon, now going to start The Reckoning shortly :tong:

Are you enjoying it, I read all three the last one quite recently and want more, really liked this series but it is Kelley Armstrong so its understandable. :blush:

I take it by the speed at which you're reading these that they're good? :lol: I have them on my wishlist so I certainly hope so! :tong:

Are you enjoying it, I read all three the last one quite recently and want more, really liked this series but it is Kelley Armstrong so its understandable. :blush:

I'm really enjoying them, like pickle says, they're Kelley Armstrong and she's awesome! :D

I decided to put Ritual down for the moment - I just couldn't get into it and I am now half way through The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I can't seem to settle on anything at the moment.

I checked on Amazon and my package isn't expected to arrive until Friday!:blush:

Bought some more books today:

Shadow of The Scorpion by Neal Asher

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

Scar Night by Alan Campbell

Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks

I really must learn to stay away from Waterstones :blush:

Finished The Thirty-Nine steps last night and started reading A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin. Enjoying it so far but as I'm barely into chapter 3 it hasn't really kicked off yet.

started reading A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin. Enjoying it so far but as I'm barely into chapter 3 it hasn't really kicked off yet.

Oh, it will, don't worry :blush:

After four years of sweat, I have finally finished my degree and can now devote more time to reading until I get the certificate (2 months).

Yay!

I'm starting The Swiss Family Robinson now. Frankly, I am sure I'll pick up another book and try reading it side by side. Maybe Alice in Wonderland?

Finished The Thirty-Nine steps last night and started reading A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin. Enjoying it so far but as I'm barely into chapter 3 it hasn't really kicked off yet.

It took me three reads to like the book. I don't remember why I hated Martin four years ago anymore.

It took me three reads to like the book. I don't remember why I hated Martin four years ago anymore.

Blimey, that's dedication. I doubt I could read a book three times if I hadn't liked it on the first go.

I finally finished with Miss Smilla and had to start reading a very different kind of novel where I don't have to think too much while reading, so I went for Nick Hornby's About a Boy.

I just finished The Folk of the Air by Peter S. Beagle.

It was quite confusing, and I am not sure I got all of it, by this is typical for me and Mr. Beagle on a first read. If I wait awhile and read it again, it will all suddenly make sense.

I will now be reading The Cider House Rules by John Irving.

I abandoned one book I was reading (Zombies of the Gene Pool by Sharyn McCrumb) because it just wasn't a patch on the previous book (Bimbos of the Death Sun), and started another (The Manny by Holly Peterson) only to ditch that two chapters in because the story seems so very familiar* (I'm certain I've read it before but I can't find it on my reading lists since it was published). So I decided to start reading Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A E Moorat instead.

* It was the husband modelling his new shirts and being annoyed about the cufflinks not fitting through the holes that clicked in my head and made me think "I've DEFINITELY read this before!". If I haven't, then I must have dreamt it, because it was a whole lot stronger than deja vu, I can tell you!

Blimey, that's dedication. I doubt I could read a book three times if I hadn't liked it on the first go.

My copy of A Game Of Thrones had this on the review page.

"Fantastic book, I couldn't put it down. ~ Robert Jordan"

And seeing as RJ is my favourite fantasy writer, I just had to force myself to reread the book till I got it. I'm glad I did, the other three books in that series are just awesome. They've even helped me grow as a writer. It's too bad that Martin is such a slow writer. He is about five years late in publishing a book that should have come out in fall 2005.

I finished Jenny White's - The Abyssinian Proof and quite enjoyed it, its very similar to a lot of the religious conspiracy books, you know starts in ancient times then skips forward into more modern time when the relic or item has dissapeared, be unearthed and then there is a race to unlock secrets etc..this was a little different in that although it skipped forward it skipped into the late 19th Century, an enjoyable read for a sunny day.