What are you listening to? (part 3)

Maureen

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, you're not allowed to hear it before me :irked::lol::wink:

Listening to it now. Liking it so far.

Let's pretend I didn't, then :D I'm also listening to it now. For the 'first' time :wink: I think it requires a lot of listening to, before I can get into it.

Let's pretend I didn't, then :D I'm also listening to it now. For the 'first' time :wink: I think it requires a lot of listening to, before I can get into it.

:lol:

It's very different, which I was expecting from everything I'd read about it. Very '70s, prog-tastic. Which means I like it. Nepenthe is MAD :D

:lol:

It's very different, which I was expecting from everything I'd read about it. Very '70s, prog-tastic. Which means I like it. Nepenthe is MAD :D

It's definitely different, and very, very progressive indeed. If I didn't know it was Opeth, I wouldn't have guessed. And this is exactly why I can't seem to take to it immediately :blush:

It's definitely different, and very, very progressive indeed. If I didn't know it was Opeth, I wouldn't have guessed. And this is exactly why I can't seem to take to it immediately :blush:

I know what you mean. For me, this is a good thing. I think if bands produce the same sort of songs and sound album after album I get a bit tired of them. A bit of variety is good!

I listened to the 5.1 mix last night. It seems to me to be a natural progression from some of the madcap stuff on Watershed, like Lotus Eater and Hessian Peel, but without the growling. It definitely is a throwback to old school prog, but that distinctive dark atmosphere that Opeth bring to everything is still there, lurking. It'll be interesting to see how many new fans this brings in (I know a lot of people who say they love the music on past albums but can't deal with the growls), and how many it'll alienate. The Brixton gig in November will be interesting for sure!

Well I was listening to The 2 Tone Story, however with the news of R.E.M. splitting up I feel that I will be having R.E.M. for the rest of the day. :D

I know what you mean. For me, this is a good thing. I think if bands produce the same sort of songs and sound album after album I get a bit tired of them. A bit of variety is good!

I listened to the 5.1 mix last night. It seems to me to be a natural progression from some of the madcap stuff on Watershed, like Lotus Eater and Hessian Peel, but without the growling. It definitely is a throwback to old school prog, but that distinctive dark atmosphere that Opeth bring to everything is still there, lurking. It'll be interesting to see how many new fans this brings in (I know a lot of people who say they love the music on past albums but can't deal with the growls), and how many it'll alienate. The Brixton gig in November will be interesting for sure!

I'm so jealous you get to see them in November! You wouldn't happen to have any extra tickets, would you now? :P

I'm listening to one of the best albums ever made, Ten by Pearl Jam.

Listening to Open Mind by Wilco.

I've been very busy listening to music lately. So many artists I love (some new to me, some not) have been coming out with new albums, and they are all mind-blowingly excellent.

In particular:

The Whole Love - Wilco

Heritage - Opeth

Night of Hunters - Tori Amos

and last but not least

Grace For Drowning - Steven Wilson.

I may be biased when it comes to Steven Wilson, but this one deserves album of the year in my opinion. Atmospheric, heavily jazz-influenced, melodic, and sublime.

I may be biased when it comes to Steven Wilson, but this one deserves album of the year in my opinion. Atmospheric, heavily jazz-influenced, melodic, and sublime.

I can't make up my mind whether to get it or not! Insurgentes did very little for me, and I've listened to samples off this one and not been particularly thrilled, yet I keep reading comments like yours. Confused! :huh:

I can't make up my mind whether to get it or not! Insurgentes did very little for me, and I've listened to samples off this one and not been particularly thrilled, yet I keep reading comments like yours. Confused! :huh:

Well, I can tell you this. I wasn't that thrilled with Insurgentes, either. This is a quite different listening experience.

Here is a suggestion.

If you can find some place where you can listen to the song Raider II in it's entirety, try that. It's an epic 24 minutes long, and usually I would become bored with such a long song, but there was so much going on it kept my interest throughout. If you are not blown away by that, I would say Grace For Drowning is not for you.

Edited by Pixie

Well, I can tell you this. I wasn't that thrilled with Insurgentes, either. This is a quite different listening experience.

Here is a suggestion.

If you can find some place where you can listen to the song Raider II in it's entirety, try that. It's an epic 24 minutes long, and usually I would become bored with such a long song, but there was so much going on it kept my interest throughout. If you are not blown away by that, I would say Grace For Drowning is not for you.

Thanks, will try and find it somewhere. I'll no doubt end up getting it - iTunes has got the 'deluxe' version :)

Feeling more tempted to get the new Machine Head album at the moment, although I'm still getting my head around the rather excellent The Hunter, Mastodon's new one :cool:

Why has my ex not informed me that Steven Wilson's got some solo stuff :motz::7_mad: It's a good thing we already broke up.

Must acquire!!

Currently listening to Korn.

Why has my ex not informed me that Steven Wilson's got some solo stuff :motz::7_mad: It's a good thing we already broke up.

Must acquire!!

Yes, you must. :D

I'm going to see him perform this stuff live on October 8th. *does a happy dance*

Currently listening to Welcome to My DNA - Blackfield.

The Leper Affinity - Opeth

My neighbour's got builders in. They turned up at 8:30 on Saturday morning blasting music out of their van and woke me up - so I opened the window and gave them a blast of The Leper Affinity. That'll teach 'em. :irked::lol: