What are you eating just now?

Lilywhite

I've just succumbed to a Beef & onion pasty from the chuck wagon that stops outside my office. Bang goes the diet for another day!

I've just succumbed to a Beef & onion pasty from the chuck wagon that stops outside my office. Bang goes the diet for another day!

Stuff the diet Ian. Joy is an impulse pasty :D

A hob-nob flapjack

• 3 weeks later...

I had a bad experience with biscuits and gravy in college Abby and Noll, and I've been scared straight ever since :P.

I'm at my desk, drinking coffee and munching on a very naughty cheese danish. Seriously, I'm going to have a long talk with myself right after I finish eating it. Luckily it's just a pay-day treat! ;)

I think we Europeans needs some education here - what we know of as biscuits are similar to what Americans call cookies, so please can someone tell us what the biscuit actually is in the US? I know I always imagine something like a chocolate chip cookie covered in gravy (which over here is a sauce for meat, made from the cooking juices from the meat mixed with flour, water or wine, and simmered until the flour has cooked and the sauce thickened).

Please help us and explain what biscuits and gravy are in the US so we're not completely grossed out!

I think we Europeans needs some education here - what we know of as biscuits are similar to what Americans call cookies, so please can someone tell us what the biscuit actually is in the US? I know I always imagine something like a chocolate chip cookie covered in gravy (which over here is a sauce for meat, made from the cooking juices from the meat mixed with flour, water or wine, and simmered until the flour has cooked and the sauce thickened).

Please help us and explain what biscuits and gravy are in the US so we're not completely grossed out!

Correct me if I'm wrong any of my fellow Americans, but what we call biscuits over here are strictly savory. I'm not sure what I would compare it to as far as English food goes, but they are basically dense pastries made with flour, eggs, lots of butter, and buttermilk sometimes plus a couple other things. I was going to say they resemble a hockey puck but you probably don't know what that is! :lol: They are usually round and about 1 or 2 inches thick, and heavenly served warm with butter. It's popular to serve them with the same thing you call gravy, usually with bits of sausage mixed in. Very rich and not had by me in over 15 years!

Sorry Chesil! Here biscuits are only savoury. What I had today was sort of like what you would get from a pancake batter, very fluffy and light with buttermilk. The gravy is a white country style gravy, creamy and salty, with chunks of sausage and pepper. Its a southern breakfast dish here. Very tasty.