Cooked vs baked beans

frankie

The question is simple (I think): What's the difference between cooked and baked beans? I've tried googling but can't seem to notice any difference between the two. Are the beans that I have in tin cans baked or cooked? Or are there both baked and cooked beans sold in tin cans?

Hm... I understand that and wikipedia seems to agree with you (did more research on the subject), but it's still kind of confusing to me, since I'm not sure what haricot beans are and if the tomato sauce is essential. What I'm trying to say, I have no idea whether the beans I usually buy in tin cans (including tomato sauce) are baked or just cooked. And there are no instructions in English.

I don't know if that makes any sense... :)

Edit: Here's a question that might clarify the issue: seeing as all beans in tin cans are cooked, are the haricot beans the only ones that are so called baked beans? And the rest is just cooked?

Yes, it's only haricot beans in tomato sauce that we know as baked beans. Baked beans is really just a recipe name rather than the description of the cooking process (typical English!). You can still get haricot beans cooked and tinned without the tomato sauce and they would probably be labelled cooked haricot beans.

Okay, now I get it :D Thanks! It's just weird that they'd make such a 'drastic' difference, I have this recipe that I'm going to try out and it says I should used cooke beans, not baked beans. Like, what's the fuzz about?! :)

Cooked as opposed to raw I would imagine they mean, like red kidney beans etc.

All beans can be bought raw I think and you have to 'cook' them before adding them to dishes, if you see what I mean! All 'beans' that are in tins will have been 'cooked'

Inver, yep I figured that much out. I once bought plain beans and had to cook them for myself and the instructions were kind of vague and lacking, and they turned out pretty horrible. Since then I've stuck to cooked beans in tin cans :) The 'baked' beans just sounded weird to me, I thought it meant that you do something to the beans after the cooking.

The beans you buy in packets as opposed to tins normally have to be soaked for a good few hours, sometimes overnight, before boiling them, whereas the ones in tins have already been prepared and are ready to eat straight from the tin, either cold in salads for example, or stirred into things like stews or chilli. Baked beans are of course just cooked haricot beans in tomato sauce.

Is it because I'm American that I don't know what haricot beans are? :motz: For us, baked beans can be many different kinds of beans (kidney, great northern, etc) baked in the oven with tomato sauce, brown sugar and bacon. Very tasty when they are homemade! :lol:

Is it because I'm American that I don't know what haricot beans are? :motz: For us, baked beans can be many different kinds of beans (kidney, great northern, etc) baked in the oven with tomato sauce, brown sugar and bacon. Very tasty when they are homemade! :lol:

I agree. The best ones are slow simmered for hours (my dad uses a little dutch oven that looks somewhat like Pooh Bear's honey jar). The bacon is what makes them, though my uncle also puts onions in his.

For me, it's baked beans on toast with grated cheese on top. Mmmmmm.

But, I don't like Heinz beans (or their tomato soup) as they tend to use too much pepper for my taste. I actually like the tomato sauce quite thin, and tend to prefer the supermarket value ranges. (For tomato soup, it has to be Baxters).

Baked red beans mixed up with spices and brown rice is a really good meal. Its very common down in the south (Louisana in particular). I just do a little modification and use a packet of chili seasoning, and 1 cup of beans to 2 cups (uncooked) rice. Add a little bit of water and some butter and yum!