Cooked vs baked beans

frankie

Has to be Heinz after all

Beanz Meanz Heinz

You really can tell the difference can't you. You're at some B&B having a full English and all you can think of is ... they haven't used Heinz .. cheapskates :tong: It's the same with Cornflakes.

That's not what I have in mind when I hear the term 'baked beans'. For me baked beans are the ones in a tin in tomato sauce, such as Heinz, that British people like to eat for breakfast. What you are describing is a pork and bean stew (cassoulet).

But they are not baked beans. Baked beans are made from Haricot beans, but not vice versa. I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone eats haricot beans on toast :motz:

We use beans in soups too - the kind of beans that you have to leave soaking in water before cooking, but I would not describe them as baked beans either.

A local favorite snack made of (broad) beans is bigilla. We usually serve it at gatherings, with drinks or at parties, with local 'hard' water biscuits called galletti. Delicious.

But they are not baked beans. Baked beans are made from Haricot beans, but not vice versa. I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone eats haricot beans on toast :motz:

Have to agree with Mau... while beans (raw or cooked) are used in Mediterranean food, baked beans is definitely British comfort food. :motz:

Sorry, Haricot beans came from America into Europe during the 16 th century. With the colonization of America the various recipes such as cassoulet, sobronnade, and others were taken up by the settlers. Bean pots filled with variations on these recipes were buried in fire pits to cook over night. Eventually they were provided in tinned form, with just the beans and tomato sauce. So historically they came , with modification, from the French and Italian recipes.

Heinz is an American company based in Pittsburgh, founded 1869.

Edited by sirinrob

You are totally missing the point. I never said the British invented beans. But 'baked beans' - tinned and in tomato sauce - are mostly popular in Britain. I have never been offered baked beans for breakfast in France, in Spain or in Italy. You might be offered some over here, because we cater for the British tourists, but our local breakfast is more often toast, bread or local pastizzi.

I don't know about the Haricot issue here but I certainly think of UK when I think of baked beans. Sausages, eggs, and baked beans for breakfast, all the way. And bacon as well, maybe?

I love beans with minced meat, I make a sauce out of them and onion and sometimes I add sweet hot chili sauce. Excellent with pasta or potatoes.

I don't know about the Haricot issue here but I certainly think of UK when I think of baked beans. Sausages, eggs, and baked beans for breakfast, all the way. And bacon as well, maybe?

Yes Frankie - that's exactly what I meant by British comfort food - sometimes on Sunday mornings, my husband cooks English breakfast for brunch, and we have a lazy morning in the garden with the papers and a good book... bliss :motz:

Yes Frankie - that's exactly what I meant by British comfort food - sometimes on Sunday mornings, my husband cooks English breakfast for brunch, and we have a lazy morning in the garden with the papers and a good book... bliss :motz:

I like eggs, I like beans and I like sausages as well. But I could never eat that for breakfast because to me that sounds really greasy and I'm so used to eating carbs for breakfast, not protein. I like bread or porridge for breakfast :motz:

I like eggs, I like beans and I like sausages as well. But I could never eat that for breakfast because to me that sounds really greasy and I'm so used to eating carbs for breakfast, not protein. I like bread or porridge for breakfast :irked:

British people love a bit of grease for breakfast ;) Perhaps not all the time, we eat cereal, toast and porridge mostly but that's just going through the motions ... when the frying pan comes out, that's when our faces light up, that's 'proper' breakfast.