• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would miss

Cornish Pasties

English Cider (esp. scrumpy)

Derbyshire oatcakes

Cornish clotted cream

crumpets

English strawberries (they are the best )

and potted shrimps :wink:

Ah yes! I'll extend my list to include cider though I prefer the Irish Magner's cider! Crumpets and cornish pasties would also be very much missed! Although... you could probably make cornish pasty.

Another thing I missed from my initial list... JAFFA CAKES!!!!!! How could I do such a thing? Oh the orangy and chocolatey goodness!

I must own up to the fact that I do occassionally make my own pasties!!

I'd agree on the Jaffa cakes - I adore them!!

I'd also miss the scones, black pudding, and the occassional haggis! Not to mention the very occasional full English breakfast ..........naughty but delish!!

Now I was only in the UK for two weeks, but I became quite fond of: pastys, mashed peas and this WONDERFUL carbonated Apple Beer type soda...holy cow that stuff is divine! Not sure what it's called, but I'd love a case of it - sugar free of course!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Mau, not checked in for a bit. Brazo Gitana [Gypsy's arm] is a cake. The English call it a swiss roll a thin sponge rolled up with a jam/cream filling.

Ropas viejas [old clothes] is beef and aubergines cooked together with roasted red peppers and a beef and tomato stock:character0104:

When I was living in Canada, I really missed British Smoked Back Bacon and sausages and decent tea. You also had to fork out a whole alot more money for decent cheese as well.

But now I'm back here there is loads of food I miss from Canada, like huge cartons of freshly squeezed orange juice, mammoth breakfasts of pancakes, waffles, french toast, hash browns and sourdough bread and those flavoured creams to put in your coffee...and not being able to get sushi takeout (which isn't so easy here in the Peak District!):dunno:

• 6 months later...

Oh no, dont get me started!! Much as I love spanish food, I would love to get my hands on some real English fish and chips. I miss heinz salad cream, toasted crumpets and really good take away curries.

Oh no, dont get me started!! Much as I love spanish food, I would love to get my hands on some real English fish and chips. I miss heinz salad cream, toasted crumpets and really good take away curries.

If you are near enough to visit Gibraltar, Roy's does good fish and chips or the Tunnel. Then go to Morrison's to stock up on Salad cream and crumpets. I can't recommend a curry house as the best one burnt down a couple of years ago:irked: