Nursenblack's Book List 2010

nursenblack

Book Of A Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (YA)

Synopsis from Amazon.com

"When Dashti, a maid, and Lady Saren, her mistress, are shut in a tower for seven years for Saren’s refusal to marry a man she despises, the two prepare for a very long and dark imprisonment.

As food runs low and the days go from broiling hot to freezing cold, it is all Dashti can do to keep them fed and comfortable. But the arrival outside the tower of Saren’s two suitors—one welcome, and the other decidedly less so—brings both hope and great danger, and Dashti must make the desperate choices of a girl whose life is worth more than she knows.

With Shannon Hale’s lyrical language, this forgotten but classic fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm is reimagined and reset on the central Asian steppes; it is a completely unique retelling filled with adventure and romance, drama and disguise."

I thought Book Of A Thousand Days was an enjoyable, easy, young adult read. The story is based on a Grimm's fairy tale and is told in diary format by Dashti, a maid, who sings songs that have healing powers and has sworn seven years of servitude to her mistress. I've read Hale's Austenland and enjoyed it as well and would really like to read more. (4/5)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Girl Who Chased The Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

Synopsis from BarnesandNoble.com

62549663.JPG

"Emily Benedict has come to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother’s life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realizes that mysteries aren’t solved in Mullaby, they’re a way of life: Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbor, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, not only wishing to satisfy the town’s sweet tooth but also dreaming of rekindling the love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily’s backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in."

This is Allen's third novel and is as full of whimsy and magic as the other two. The Girl Who Chased The Moon is a feel-good, sweet, magical novel with great characters. Fast, easy read. My favorite of Allen's so far.(4/5)

The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares (YA)

452306.jpg

Four best friends, Carmen, Lena, Tibby and Bridget, spend a summer apart, but share a "magical" pair of jeans that fit them all perfectly. This is the first in a young adult series of four books. I really enjoyed how each chapter is splint into glimpses of each characters experiences. This is a book that leaves me wanting more, so it's a good thing their are three more! (4.5/5)

I've started Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, which is a reread, but has been so long ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

13779768.JPG

A classic for all ages about four sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy, growing up during the Civil War and experiencing war-time poverty and the absence of their father. A wonderful read filled with love, friendship, romance, and loss. A great winter read! (5/5)

I called it a reread for me, but I really consider it a first read because the version I read years ago was only part I.

Now, I'm about half way through The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz by L. Frank Baum on my Kindle.

Edited by nursenblack

The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz by L. Frank Baum (via Kindle)

71152039.JPG

In The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz, Dorothy and her dog Toto, are picked up in a tornado and land in Oz where they meet a scarecrow, a tin man, and a lion on their journey to find her way back home to Kansas. I've never read the book until now, but have seen the film tons of times. I always wanted to be Dorothy. However, Baum's Oz is much more dark and a bit more violent than melting the wicked witch. I was pretty surpised by the number of decapitations! I really loved it though and it reminds me of the old fairy tales that don't spare any gore and consequences. (5/5)

Edited by nursenblack