Nursenblack's Book List 2010

nursenblack

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jees! I'm over 200 pages into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I'm not sure I can finish it. Some parts are interesting, but mostly dull and redundant. I will try though...

I don't want to encourage you to force yourself to read it, but it really does get better and better as it goes along. I definitely agree that it's a little slow to start with.

Roland, did you make it through the entire book or did you give up?

Yep, I waded through it - I almost never don't finish books (sort out the negatives yourself :roll:). But I've got to disagree with you, my little koala-hugging chum - I didn't think it improved much as it went on (except, perhaps, in the sense that there were fewer pages left to go ...)

Sorry!!

But I've got to disagree with you, my little koala-hugging chum - I didn't think it improved much as it went on (except, perhaps, in the sense that there were fewer pages left to go ...)

Sorry!!

Aw, how can I be upset with someone who calls me a 'koala-hugging chum'? That's adorable. :D

Well, I've officially put The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo aside. I don't know if I'll pick it back up again, but would like to know the answer to the mystery. Still, I needed a break, so, I've begun The Last Will Of Moira Leahy by Therese Walsh. I actually won this autographed book (my first ever) from Goodreads! Loving it so far.

The Last Will Of Moira Leahy by Therese Walsh

Synopsis from barnesandnoble.com

"This haunting debut novel explores the intense bond of sisterhood as a grieving twin searches for her own identity in the ruins of her sister's past. Moira Leahy struggled growing up in her prodigious twin's shadow; Maeve was always more talented, more daring, more fun. Though Moira's adolescent struggles came to a tragic end nearly a decade ago, her brief flirtation with independence will haunt her sister for years to come."

I love debut novels and this one is really good. Plus, it is special to me because I won it from Goodreads. This novel switches from present to past (love that) to reveal a beautiful story. Definitely a page-turner with romace, drama, and mystery. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author (4/5)

Aw, it is a shame that you had to put aside the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I loved the book after page 275. It went so fast and the second book is amazing. But I can understand how boring it can be, I remember nearly giving up myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I really enjoyed this novel, but aren't readers supposed to like the heriones and main characters of a novel? I found Fanny Price prudish and her cousin Edmund prudish and stupid. I liked Fanny better towards the last half of the novel though. I enjoyed the Crawfords and Tom more.

In the end only Fanny gets what she wants. Even though Edmund marries her it is obvious he is just settling because he thinks he won't find anyone he likes better than Mary Crawford. Fanny should have married Henry.

But the novel is wonderfully written.(4/5)

Now I've started my first Charlaine Harris book, Grave Sight.

Edited by nursenblack

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

This is the first of a series about a women named Harper, who has the power of knowing how a person died when she gets close to the body. I was intrested in Harris books because I'm a fan of the show Trueblood, but never wanted to start reading the Sookie Stakehouse series. So, I thought I'd try this. Intresting characters,quick read, but I not my cup of tea.(2.5/5)

Shiver by Maggie Siefvater (YA)

Shiver, the first in a fantasy/supernatural trilogy, is about Grace, a girl who longs to be near the wolves that hang around in the woods near her house and Sam, one of the wolves who longs to stay human to be with Grace. This is a very enjoyable read and I really want to read the newest book Linger now. Though a YA novel, it seems more mature in subject matter. I loved the characters, especially Grace and Sam. They seem so genuine in their dialogue and thoughts. (4/5)

I'm surprised to have read some reviews that compare Shiver to Twilight, but I don't see the similarity at all. In my opinion Shiver far surpases Twilight in creativity, maturity, and writing style, but then again they are totally different stories and not fair to compare them :doh: .

Up next is another YA novel:

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

I agree that it's a shame you've had to put The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo down - the trilogy is up there towards the "Favourite Books of All Time" shelf for me. Maybe give it another go later on? I guess if everyone liked the same stuff the world would be a terribly boring place, eh!

Fahrenheit 451 is a book I read when I was younger, probably a teenager, and I remember loving it. I enjoy Bradbury's writing a lot, although I've not read anything by him for a long while. I have a first edition of a collection of his short stories to have a go at, somewhere in Mount TBR.

Hope you're very well.

MM

I agree that it's a shame you've had to put The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo down - the trilogy is up there towards the "Favourite Books of All Time" shelf for me. Maybe give it another go later on? I guess if everyone liked the same stuff the world would be a terribly boring place, eh!

Fahrenheit 451 is a book I read when I was younger, probably a teenager, and I remember loving it. I enjoy Bradbury's writing a lot, although I've not read anything by him for a long while. I have a first edition of a collection of his short stories to have a go at, somewhere in Mount TBR.

Hope you're very well.

MM

Maybe I will try picking The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo up again. I hardly ever don't finish a book.

I want to read Bradbury's The Halloween Tree. I love his style.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (YA)

Samantha Kingston is one of the popular girls with popular friends, who have everything. But one drunken night changes everything when the girls crash the car and Sam dies. But unstead of "seeing the light" see wakes up the next morning to find that today is yesterday. Sam must keep reliving the same day over until she figures out why.

I absolutely loved this YA novel. It is sort of like "Groundhog Day" without the comedy, which the author refrences at one point. This is one I won't soon forget. (5/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Today I went to the library and got The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets. Then, once I began to read I remember that I'd read it before, but I couldn't remember all the details. I thought that cover looked familiar! So I looked at the reading lists from the past and sure enough their it was on my 2008 list. Apparently I loved it. Oh well, I'll pick something off the shelf.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (YA)

Synopsis from BarnesandNoble.com

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

I'd heard a lot about this YA trilogy, but didn't really even know the plot or bother to read the synopsis on the cover. All I knew was it was being talked about and I wanted to find out why. It is an engaging, entertaining, fast read. I really loved it and am planning on getting the rest of this trilogy.(5/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (YA)

Samantha Kingston is one of the popular girls with popular friends, who have everything. But one drunken night changes everything when the girls crash the car and Sam dies. But unstead of "seeing the light" see wakes up the next morning to find that today is yesterday. Sam must keep reliving the same day over until she figures out why.

I absolutely loved this YA novel. It is sort of like "Groundhog Day" without the comedy, which the author refrences at one point. This is one I won't soon forget. (5/5)

I keep getting Before I Fall and Before I Die mixed up, but I think I'll probably end up reading both, especially as I like the sound of Before I Fall from what you've said. Glad you enjoyed it, it's been added to my wishlist now :D

I've heard lots of people raving about The Hunger Games which makes me think maybe I should take a look but the synopsis doesn't really grab me. It sounds a bit like Battle Royale.

I've heard that too, but don't know since I've not read Battle Royale. Definitely read it though. It is addictive.

Yesterday was my birthday and I went out of town and allowed my self to get a few books. Heres what I got:

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Austenland by Shannon Hale

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark by Alvin Schwartz (a childhood favorite.used to terrify me)

These at a thrift store:

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

H. The Story of Heathcliff's Journey Back to Wuthering Heights by Lin Haire-Sargeant (might be blasphemy, but couldn't resist)

For my baby:

My First Halloween by Tomir dePaola

two Mercer Mayer Little Critter books

a Baby Einstein book

I started Catching Fire yesterday.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire is the second of The Hunger Games Trilogy and I thought was just as reviting as the first and at times very stressful. These books aren't just about violence and the "Hunger Games" but are about rebellion against a manipulative, all-powerful, cruel government. These books are so addictive! I've already picked up Mockingjay and will be starting it today. I can't wait to find out what happens!(5/5)

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

This is the final book of The Hunger Games trilogy. As predicted, I do feel a bit sad to have to leave these characters, especially Katniss and Peeta. Mockingjay has a different feel to it than the other two books -more dark. Things are topsy-turvy just like the mental status of key characters. The beginning is a bit slower than the other two, but it was almost like coming out of a state of confusion. All I can say is I love this trilogy. Considered YA novels, but not to be dismissed as such. The theme runs much deeper than violence. A must read for young adults and adults, male or female. There is something for all.(5/5)