Kat's Reading 2006

Lilywhite

The Deep End of The Ocean ~ Jacquelyn Mitchard arrived in the post this morning and I picked up The Time Traveller's Wife ~ Audrey Niffenegger from the library on my way home.

I'm still reading Just Another Kid by Torey Hayden but it's on a bit of a go slow at the moment as I am doing an essay for my OU course at the same time. I want to read my book but I know the course has priority (just :D )

No other teacher had been able to handle these six emotionally damaged children. Three were horribly traumatized by the nightmare of war. Then there was an eleven-year-old boy who had never known life outside and institution; eight-year-old Mariana, who was dangerously exciteable and sexually precocious; and Leslie, seven years old, yet completely unresponsive and unable to speak. These were the children entrusted to the care of Torey Hayden, the extraordinary special-needs teacher who refused to give up on them. Torey was determined that every child should experience joy, hope and a future free of fear. With compassion, patience and most of all love, she knew that miracles could happen.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to finish Just Another Kid this afternoon, another brilliant book by Torey Hayden giving a unique insight into the life of a special needs teacher and all the trauma it entails.

I shall start The Time Traveller's Wife ~ Audrey Niffenegger as it is sat next to me waiting to be read :D

This is the extraordinary love story of Clare and Henry who met when Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry suffers from a rare condition where his genetic clock periodically resets and he fins himself pulled suddenly into his past or future. In the face of this force they can neither prevent nor control, Henry and Clare's struggle to lead normal lives is both intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.

A-ha. I'm storming through TTTW now and I'm loving it. Although time travel as a subject really messes with my head, I think I have a grip on this one. I do find myself thinking too deeply about it and getting myself tied up in paradoxes but other than that, a great story. :)

A-ha. I'm storming through TTTW now and I'm loving it. Although time travel as a subject really messes with my head, I think I have a grip on this one. I do find myself thinking too deeply about it and getting myself tied up in paradoxes but other than that, a great story. :)

I really enjoyed this one too Kat.

yep I agree, I finished this one last night (and I didn't even cry). I'm glad I picked this one up as it was nothing like I expected (there I go judging books by there covers again :) ) Off to the library and car boot today to see what I can find.

actually the sun is streaming through the windows today. I did have my scarf on but it wasn't too cold and the car boot bit is covered in Preston, which helps.

Managed to get two books from the library, A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian ~ Marina Lewycka and Blood and Water ~ Lucy McCarraher which RISI has been plugging at me all week.

I've not been too sure whether to give A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian a try. I keep seeing it everywhere I go. I've read the few pages on the review section here, but I'm still not 100% sure. Could you let us know what it's like when you finish it? That would be great.

well, I decided to start reading A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian this afternoon as it was on the top of the pile. I'm about 100 pages in (hardback version) and so far it's quite amusing. Great light story, well written, with historical memories thrown in for good measure. I would recommend this if you are after a light read, not quite chick lit but amusing none the less.

For years, Nadezhda and Vera, two Ukrainian sisters, raised in England by their refugee parents, have had as little as possible to do with each other - and they have their reasons. But now they find they'd better learn how to get along, because since their mother's death their aging father has been sliding into his second childhood, and an alarming new woman has just entered his life. Valentina, a bosomy young synthetic blonde from the Ukraine, seems to think their father is much richer than he is, and she is keen that he leave this world with as little money to his name as possible. If Nadazhda and Vera don't stop her, no one will. But separating their addled and annoyingly lecherous dad from his new love will prove to be no easy feat - Valentina is a ruthless pro and the two sisters swiftly realize that they are mere amateurs when it comes to ruthlessness. As Hurricane Valentina turns the family house upside down, old secrets come falling out, including the most deeply buried one of them all, from the War, the one that explains much about why Nadazhda and Vera are so different. In the meantime, oblivious to it all, their father carries on with the great work of his dotage, a grand history of the tractor.

I'm now reading Blood and Water ~ Lucy McCarraher as seen on RISI :)

At 45, Mo Mozart has struggled to bring up her first two children as a single mother and, now they've flown the nest, she's concentrating on maintaining a career while being a good wife to her second, younger husband, Jack, and mother to their little daughter, Lily. With the help of yoga, meditation and her close group of girlfriends, Mo feels she's at last getting the balance of her life right. Until, that is, Jack's highly strung twin sister asks her to help trace their birth mother, Caitlin, whom Jack wants nothing to do with. Her involvement in the search triggers turmoil in Mo's life, exacerbated by the onset of menopausal symptoms, Jack's involvement with someone else, and an old vagrant woman who unleashes unwelcome, supernatural encounters.

The hunt for Caitlin is a compelling journey of clues and dead ends, coincidence and revelation, that exposes much of the grief involved in teenage sex and adoption. It is set within a wry and authentic portrayal of the complex lifestyle which so many contemporary women lead, and against an evocative depiction of London's historic Crystal Palace district. Each of the acutely drawn characters has personal issues, all of which raise questions about spirituality and sexuality, motherhood, relationships and family bonds.

Forced to use all her professional skills, personal contacts and psychic gifts to locate Jack's biological mother, Mo gains a deeper understanding of herself in the process, and unearths unexpected information about her family and the intimate lives of her best friends.