If you could only read one Stephen King...

KW

What would it be? having never read one, I 'm looking for suggs.

Thanks in advance!

That is a tall order to name just one.

My favorite is the Dark Tower Series but that contains more than one book. However, you could start with the first in the series.

I also kinda favor the book "IT".

I never liked The Stand much.. too 'epic' for me (at the time, anyway!).

It depends what you want, really, as King writes a variety.. are you after a 'horror', or a good 'story'? My personal favourite is actually one of the Bachman books.. 'The Long Run'. The Green Mile was also good story-telling. :badmood:

What I would say, is that if you dislike the first one you try, don;t give up on him, but look for something different instead. :)

If you wanted to try a "sampler" go for one of his collections of novellas - I heartily recommend Different Seasons - it contains Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank Redemption (made into a wonderful film of a similar name); The Body (made into the excellent Stand By Me); The Apt Pupil ( translated into a film of the same name) & The Breathing Method (which has never been made into a movie - yet). All are excellent in their iwn way & very moving tales.

I heartily recommend Different Seasons - it contains Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank Redemption (made into a wonderful film of a similar name); The Body (made into the excellent Stand By Me); The Apt Pupil ( translated into a film of the same name)

:) Note the lack of praise there for Apt Pupil! Wasn't great was it :badmood:

I heartily recommend Different Seasons - it contains Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank Redemption (made into a wonderful film of a similar name); The Body (made into the excellent Stand By Me); The Apt Pupil ( translated into a film of the same name)

:) Note the lack of praise there for Apt Pupil! Wasn't great was it :badmood:

The movie wasn't great (despite starring the wonderful Sir Ian Mckellan), but the story itself is incredibly vivid...

I meant for the film, the story is great and, as you said, vivid. Couldn't really identify with the characters motives though

Your average person wouldn't suddenly start murdering animals and eventually gunning down innocent civilians, no matter how depraved those war stories were.

I meant for the film, the story is great and, as you said, vivid. Couldn't really identify with the characters motives though

Your average person wouldn't suddenly start murdering animals and eventually gunning down innocent civilians, no matter how depraved those war stories were.

Then again, I don't think the person in question could really be called "average" - LOL!

My personal favourite is actually one of the Bachman books.. 'The Long Run'. What I would say, is that if you dislike the first one you try, don;t give up on him, but look for something different instead. :badmood:

"The Long Run"? I don't think they'd have got as far as they did if they'd had to run it! :) The Long Walk is one of my faves too.

I agree with what Michelle says about trying a few different ones. It annoys me that King's pigeon-holed as a horror writer, when in fact very few of his book are pure horror.

KW: Like reading about paranormal powers? Go for Firestarter, Carrie or The Dead Zone. Fantasy? The Dark Tower series or The Eyes of the Dragon. Epic tales of the apocalypse? The Stand. And so on... King really does write a diverse range of tales.

My personal favourite is actually one of the Bachman books.. 'The Long Run'. What I would say, is that if you dislike the first one you try, don;t give up on him, but look for something different instead. :cry:

"The Long Run"? I don't think they'd have got as far as they did if they'd had to run it! :) The Long Walk is one of my faves too.

:roll::badmood:

John Grisham and Stephen King are going to appear together at a fund raising event for one of our politicians in our small town. They are both going to talk and take questions from the audience. I will pass on the event as the least expensive tickets are $100 each, although it is for a good cause.