Audiobooks and mp3 players

runner

Hi all

I would like to purchase an mp3 player to listen to audiobooks on my daily commute? Is there a thread on this? Are there any recommendations for what is the best mp3 player on the market as i am very new? what is the best site for audiobooks?...any more information you could share would be greatly appreciated....thanks

I'll second the recommendation for an iPod, but I would suggest that an iPod Touch may be a bit over the top for just listening to audio books.

I've been using an iPod Nano for the last few years, and even with a 4Gb memory I can a dozen or so audio books on it at once, and I believe you can get 16Gb versions now.

As for sites for audio books, have you seen Audible?

I used to use an iPod Nano and downloaded loads of free audio books from LibriVox. They transferred onto it through iTunes really easily.

My sister gave me her iPod when she got a new one for Xmas with more memory (the one she gave me has about 20 times the memory my Nano had!), but I haven't loaded it up yet...

I have a Creative Zen Vision M and much prefer it to an Ipod but I'm not sure if they are still available. It has a bookmark facility on it which is great. Creative have a new model out and it looks good but is quite pricey at the moment. I also use Audible to download books.

Well actually I only kept one of the mp3 players from aldi as my wife wanted to use for travelling to and from work...however I thought the device a little cheap and nasty....i presume you get what you pay for and I could see that transferring books was going to be difficult. Having looked at audible it looks a doddle to download books...a little bit of software and I can download direct to the nano or ipod classic...am i correct in that assumption?

I used to have an 80GB Ipod classic (you wouldnt even need half that amount of memory, it held about 25 thousand songs), and used to buy audio books from audible.co.uk. They are great for listening to whilst driving or in the gym for example, I just couldnt get used to sitting down and listening to them like you would with a normal book.

• 10 months later...

I have a 30GB iPod and it's great for audiobooks. You can create an account on Audible and just purchase the books you want. I think amazon sells audiobooks as well.

A few months ago I got an e-reader which came with audio capability. So if you want to be able to switch between reading and listening that is one way to go.

I tried listening to audiobooks on my mpman mp3 player once upon a time but no matter how sensibly I named files and folders they would not play in order of track or even CD - any idea what might have been causing this? I have since lost that player, now I use my Sony Walkman phone as an mp3 player but as it plays songs in anything but the right order, I'm assuming it will do the same for audiobook files... halp? I would love to be able to listen to books on my walk to and from uni as comulatively it's nearly an hour a day, it'd be a nice way to put that time to some use :) cheers.

• 8 months later...