Scariest film you have seen?

Lisa-Marie

My issue with the Exorcist is imagining walking into my room and seeing Regan sitting in my bed grinning at me. *shudder* I'm glad I'm sitting on my bed right now or thinking about it would freak me out.

Oh, also I watched The Exorcist when I was 12. That didn't help.

OH! You know what scared me when I was small? Dracula: Dead & Loving it. The staking bit with ALL THAT BLOOD. I'd never seen so much blood in my life, fake or otherwise and whatever age rating the film had, it was several years above my age and I was convinced I'd go insane or something :D

ETA: PA or no PA, I still won't put my foot, arms, or any part of myself outside bed covers. I absolutely must be covered up to my chin or I won't sleep.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I watched The Exorcist I was around 12 as well and my friends were holding on to each others feet. One of them still has a fear of Regan as well, scary child! We watched The Ring straight after and during that we all went to the kitchen to get drinks and as soon as we opened the door my friends cat jumped of the workbench, never been more scared in my life!! :( Just a black figure jumping across the room after two horror films.

I have to say I have never seen any Dracula film in my life :D.

My issue with the Exorcist is imagining walking into my room and seeing Regan sitting in my bed grinning at me. *shudder* I'm glad I'm sitting on my bed right now or thinking about it would freak me out.

Oh, also I watched The Exorcist when I was 12. That didn't help.

OH! You know what scared me when I was small? Dracula: Dead & Loving it. The staking bit with ALL THAT BLOOD. I'd never seen so much blood in my life, fake or otherwise and whatever age rating the film had, it was several years above my age and I was convinced I'd go insane or something :D

The Exorcist scared the hell out of me. As a nice Catholic boy, we were raised to worship God and the only mention of the Devil was 'Satan and his empty lies...' so my vision of him was of a sort of buffoon and nonsensical creature......to see him manifest his evil self into the body of an innocent girl, twisting it out of all proportion and spouting such vile with that terrifying voice scarred me for life, this was The Big Evil Dude himself and i nearly wet myself.

Also didn't help that i was 15 watching it, could not sleep for months.

Saw Paranormal Activity recently, very good movie but doesnt linger long in the mind afterwards.

i dont really find films scary nowadays, but when i was younger they really got to me.

I remember thinking 'It' was petrifying, but i watched it a couple of years ago and it was very tame and i wondered how i ever found it scary.

I remember hiding behind the sofa when Jaws came on the telly, and actually being afraid to go to the toilet afterwards because there was water in it and I thought Jaws was going to come and get me round the 'U' bend!!!! I was very young though!! :D

@StephenKingman & Nightwish: I was never religious but I won't mock anything religious either. I could barely watch 'God, The Devil & Bob' (funny cartoon) as a teen without feeling guilty about mocking the devil. More for what he represents, than for what he is.

It's possession! Possession terrifies me. Even that scene in 'Warlock' where the medium pretends to be possessed, and then actually IS and her face contorts - still wigs me out completely. Ick.

@StephenKingman & Nightwish: I was never religious but I won't mock anything religious either. I could barely watch 'God, The Devil & Bob' (funny cartoon) as a teen without feeling guilty about mocking the devil. More for what he represents, than for what he is.

I wouldn't mock religion, whatever views people have that is personal to them and it is just disrespectful to mock, but I was never religious either so maybe thats why the film never affected me in such ways, I really don't know...

^I too, was quite young when watching the Exorcist, might have been like 10 or something? It was, and still is, one of my mom's fav films, maybe even her all-time favourite. :D We like scary films.

Only thing I was scared about at the time was when I lay in bed and thought my bed was going to thump up and down like Reagans. :(

But possession doesn't scare me and I have never been religious (I have been baptized and did my first communion, but I never believed in any of it, were just stories to me) so maybe then it's different. I don't believe in god ir the devil, so it's just another film of fiction to me. :lol:

Well like I said, I don't believe in any of it either. So I don't know why I'm like that.

And, like I said a couple pages back, the possession thing is about the distortion/warping of the familiar/safe into something unknown/dangerous.

I found 'The Hole' to be quite a disturbing, if not scary film. I'm fairly claustrophobic, but even without that it's such a distressing film. I always want to go have a shower and run around outside after watching it :D

Oh I agree with you on The Hole, always get amazed at the level of obsession that girl shows, Thora Birch.. and how pretty normal teens can go to that in such a short time. Plus the claustrophobia doesn't help either. :D

However it seem sjust about the only film in which I can stomach Keira Knightley. :(

Prob the Exorcist....I watched it when it first came out in the 70's in a cinema in Edinburgh...and thought this is scary...behind me were 2 old ladies who also enjoyed...I think it went over their heads :D I also thought The Thing and Alien were fantastic suspence scary movies

• 4 months later...

I don't generally watch scary movies. The Exorcist is probably the scariest but I felt it got a bit ludicrous towards the end and it didn't effect me overmuch. One of the guys I watched it with couldn't sleep for days afterwards :D

I got an awful fright in Alien when that creature burst out of someone's chest or stomach:out:

Blind Terror with Mia Farrow, it's quite an old movie i first saw it on the TV when i was a kid but my OH bought it for me recently as he knows it's one of my fave movies & it's been retitled See no Evil.

I don't do scary films. I've seen very few, and have wanted to see even fewer. I think you have to start watching the tame scary films as a child or you never overcome the fear of being scared and embrace it so that you can move on to the even scarier ones as you get older and I never did this.

I know I will get nightmares if I watch scary films even now. How do I know this? Just hearing someone telling me about The Blair Witch Project when it came out terrified me, and I had nightmare for about three months afterwards.

The closest to scary I get is comedy scary. I know I'm lame, but I've just never been able to get past the fear of being scared.

The Thing - made nearly 30 years ago but one of the best horrors ever made, scary even now

I agree Johnny, a classic horror! :D

I have seen most of the films you are all talking about but found none of them too scary, although most were very good. The one film that disturbs me the most though is 'Pets Semetary'. I find it very distubing in places.

Interesting how we are all different in getting 'scared'.

Not many scary movies scare me. I rather find X-files and Millennium uncomfortable, in a sordid good way. :lol:

My fave scary movie is P2, about a woman alone at the office on Christmas and a guy stalking her, dangerously obsessed with her. That was creepy in a real "this could actually happen in reality" kind of way. The best kind!

I haven

De Lift (as in the 1983 Dutch horror film, not one of the several rubbishy US remakes). Oh, the nightmares that gave me after catching it on 3am television with headphones on and the lights off so as not to be discovered by my parents! 'Take the stairs, take the stairs. For God's sake, take the Stairs!!!'