Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I slid a bit during the holidays, but this year is a whole new ball game. I'm trying hard to continue cutting out processed foods and stick more with fresh veggies, fruit and whole grains. Portion sizes are also a challenge but I'm up to it! I weighed myself on Tuesday and have been keeping a food journal, and will get on the scale again next week.

I'm kind of following the Sonoma diet, but the term 'diet' seems too temporary for me, because really, I don't see myself going back to my old eating habits any time in the near future. I just need to be more serious now that I'm a forty-something. UGH! I hate that.

Good luck everyone!! :D

Due to illness and getting totally disheartened as a result of that, I backslid a lot during the last few months and regained a lot of the weight I'd lost. I did, however, start 2013 10lbs lighter than I started 2012, which is something positive at least! As part of my new beginning, I have cut the crap (including my beloved chocolate, which I'm cutting out entirely for the entire month of January - eek!) and have dropped 5.5lbs this week so far. I know the first week is always the biggest drop, so I'm hoping this strong beginning will help kick my butt back into gear once more! This is the year I stop being a fat chick and start being a healthy chick - I WILL RUN 5km in the Race For Life this summer!

You can see my full list of 52 things in 52 weeks challenges HERE.

Great list Kell! :D

Yup, backsliding is a definite danger and the least thing seems to knock us off the trolly.

You however, as you say, are ahead of the game by 10 pounds, nothing to sneeze at.

Yays on the 5.5 pounds too! Fantastic start.

I slid a bit during the holidays, but this year is a whole new ball game. I'm trying hard to continue cutting out processed foods and stick more with fresh veggies, fruit and whole grains. Portion sizes are also a challenge but I'm up to it! I weighed myself on Tuesday and have been keeping a food journal, and will get on the scale again next week.

I'm kind of following the Sonoma diet, but the term 'diet' seems too temporary for me, because really, I don't see myself going back to my old eating habits any time in the near future. I just need to be more serious now that I'm a forty-something. UGH! I hate that.

For us it wasn't the holidays, we started sliding off back in October when we took a vacation. How can you not eat in new cities?? lol Especially NYC. /groan/ Although I can't totally blame that. After all, we do live a stones throw from New Orleans. Oy. ;)

LOL at 40-something...I'm 62 and still trying to improve. It remains a work in progress for your entire life. :cat:

We started January 1st, and I've lost 4 pounds. Keeping on the treadmill. I'm not doing it all in one felled swoop, but bits at the time. Usually 15-20 minutes a couple of times a day.

That is only too true Ooshie, sad but true. The weight is distributed differently as you mention....up till the time I hit my 30's I didn't gain in my waist and stomach at all. It was all hips and backside. That has changed.

What kind of abdominal exercises are you doing?

Yup, that is exactly how my shape has changed! I'm doing exercises from an old exercise programme that I haven't heard about in years; Callanetics. I have a bad back, and find that the Callanetics helps tone me up well without ending up with me in my bed for a week unable to move! :) I see there are some Callanetics videos on Youtube, but I haven't watched any of them so I'm not sure how helpful they are.

Due to illness and getting totally disheartened as a result of that, I backslid a lot during the last few months and regained a lot of the weight I'd lost. I did, however, start 2013 10lbs lighter than I started 2012, which is something positive at least! As part of my new beginning, I have cut the crap (including my beloved chocolate, which I'm cutting out entirely for the entire month of January - eek!) and have dropped 5.5lbs this week so far. I know the first week is always the biggest drop, so I'm hoping this strong beginning will help kick my butt back into gear once more! This is the year I stop being a fat chick and start being a healthy chick - I WILL RUN 5km in the Race For Life this summer!

You can see my full list of 52 things in 52 weeks challenges HERE.

Well done, Kell, sounds like you are doing great! I haven't started on my healthy eating plan yet, but I will next week when I go back to work. I stayed the same weight over the holidays by having all the nibbly things i wanted like biscuits and cheese and olives etc as a replacement to meals, not as well as meals, but I know that's not the way I should be eating at all!

Like you, I find a food journal really helpful, peacefield, I will need to get one ready to start next week. I haven't heard of the Sonoma way of eating before, I will be interested to look up a bit more about that.

I have lost 5 pounds since mid December when my doctor layed down the law with me. My doctor called me at home at 9:00 pm and told me that he is giving me 2 months to get my sugar level down. LOL, he even got my wife on the phone and told her she better get on my case and make me understand that it is serious. I am watching my diet and walking on the treadmill for 45 minutes a day at a reasonable speed of 3.8 mph

I have lost 5 pounds since mid December when my doctor layed down the law with me. My doctor called me at home at 9:00 pm and told me that he is giving me 2 months to get my sugar level down. LOL, he even got my wife on the phone and told her she better get on my case and make me understand that it is serious. I am watching my diet and walking on the treadmill for 45 minutes a day at a reasonable speed of 3.8 mph

Well done, muggle not! I guess there is nothing like a genuine health warning to motivate weight loss.

Yup, that is exactly how my shape has changed! I'm doing exercises from an old exercise programme that I haven't heard about in years; Callanetics. I have a bad back, and find that the Callanetics helps tone me up well without ending up with me in my bed for a week unable to move! :) I see there are some Callanetics videos on Youtube, but I haven't watched any of them so I'm not sure how helpful they are.

My back is bad as well, so thanks for the tip. They look as though it's something I can manage.

45 minutes a day is great muggle. It's not easy giving up sugar, not by a long shot. But it is really the most effective way to get weight down.

Well, I've still only lost the 4, plus a half pound so far. But it's working out that we haven't been exercising every day, only every other day.....not the best, but better than nothing. We've had long days out lately and it just doesn't get done on some of those days. Does walking around shopping count?? lol

My back is bad as well, so thanks for the tip. They look as though it's something I can manage.

45 minutes a day is great muggle. It's not easy giving up sugar, not by a long shot. But it is really the most effective way to get weight down.

Well, I've still only lost the 4, plus a half pound so far. But it's working out that we haven't been exercising every day, only every other day.....not the best, but better than nothing. We've had long days out lately and it just doesn't get done on some of those days. Does walking around shopping count?? lol

It's definitely working as when I look down, even when I'm not wearing a bra, I can't see my stomach past my chest! I hope you find it helpful if you try it, pontalba. And I definitely think walking around shopping counts just as much as a walk in the country! :)

Being a single bloke, who drinks eats junk food and when cycling pops into 4 or 5 pubs. Do you think I should join a gym. If so what should I pay? I'm probably 16 stone and 6ft and I'm definately getting the belly.

Being a single bloke, who drinks eats junk food and when cycling pops into 4 or 5 pubs. Do you think I should join a gym. If so what should I pay? I'm probably 16 stone and 6ft and I'm definately getting the belly.

You may want to see a doctor and have him recommend a strategy before starting on a strenous exercise program.

I was pleasantly surprised when I stood on the scale after Christmas, the scales looked better than my body felt, so hopefully my swimming will keep it at bay, along with less indulging!

Congrats :)! (edit: that was @Inver). Good luck Lilywhite :)!

I'm also trying to lose weight (didn't gain any during the holidays, lost a bit instead due to illness). I used to be really thin (too thin), since a while I'm on medication (for my condition) that makes me gain weight (it's changed my whole metabolism). I don't want to go back to how thin I used to be before I used any medication, but I do want to lose some weight. I'll be quitting my medication after I graduate, so hopefully then it'll be easier to lose weight. I'll also have more energy to do more exercise, I plan to exercise more once I graduate.

When I was a child, I was never hungry. I only ate "because I had to". I didn't like much food. If I didn't eat, I got cranky but didn't know why. I've taught myself to eat at certain times, because if I didn't I'd feel terrible. I was really thin, not that nice to look at imo.

When I was a teenager I got depressed (and had too much input). I was put on medication eventually, and this made me feel hunger! Food has been tasting so much better ever since. I gained some weight and went off the medication once my depression was over. My weight was fine at this point.

Since a few years, I've been needing medication to combat my problems with input (especially sound) again. They changed my metabolism, made it a lot more efficient. I've gotten even hungrier. It's weird because one moment I'm fine, the next I feel like I'm going to fall over if I don't eat anything. Because I'm used to eating at certain times, I try not to eat outside these times.

I've tried to eat healthier too, and still am. I'm not sure how much effect it has on my weight, I've been eating less fatty things etc. for more than half a year now but my weight hasn't gone down that much.

Anyway, once I graduate I'll do more exercise, that might help a bit for my weight too. I don't really like exercising, but I'm going to do a couple of things that I do enjoy doing or that I at least don't mind doing too much.

Edited by Athena

That is great Inver, what a neat surprise. :D

Lily, in the end, yours is the most sensible approach.

Athena, medications certainly can play havoc with our systems, good luck with balancing out everything!

I'm stuck weight-wise, haven't really stuck to the diet, but at least I'm not gaining even more. /phew/

The rain here has been so bloody awful, dark(ish) most of the time, and just weird.

Athena, that sounds sensible the way you learned to eat at certain times. It would be nice if you found that excercise worked for you in exactly the same way, sort of regulating your body processes from without. Good luck. It must be really hard for you to concentrate on your studies having that to deal with, but it looks like you are making progress. .

• 1 month later...

I've starting watching what I eat again and I'm also trying to get into exercising again. I've noticed that I just don't enjoy walking so I have to do something else and maybe wait til the snow's gone before I can go jogging. I don't know how my current running shoes cope with snow, I'm thinking not too well.

I went ice skating for the first time in a really long while, it was as amazing as ever. The ice in the close-by rink is pretty terrible, I'd like to go and skate elsewhere, but that would be too much of a hassle. 

I also finally got the Zumba videos off my old laptop and onto the new one and did a bit of Zumba today. I've noticed I sleep a whole lot better when I've done some exercise during the day.

I'm ~2 kilos down so far.

Zumba is fun, Frankie! YouTube seems to have quite a few good work-out videos. I love the belly dancing ones. They really help if you're trying to strengthen your tummy area (which is where I need it most!)

If anyone is interested, I started a new blog where I'm going to take all of the Pinterest (and other random) diets/cleanses I can find and test them to see how effective they are. I'm hoping to lose 40 lbs by June and thought it would be fun to see what, if any, of these work best for me. 

The link is: Flab to Fab Diaries

I have lost 10 lbs since just before Christmas. It is mainly due to exercise. I walk on the treadmill every day for 42 minutes, some days twice a day. Not really dieting, just perhaps cutting back a wee bit and trying to avoid sugar as much as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been neglecting my diet and exercise over the last couple of months, but I'm starting again with determination today.  I've not been completely lazy, and after my car was out of action a few weekends ago and I had to walk everywhere, I've kept that up and tried to walk whenever it's practical.  I've also been trying to make sure I prepare a big salad box to take to work with me instead of relying on sandwiches, but I need to make sure I get back into that every day.

I've already done some exercise this morning, and I'm about to walk to the shops as well.  But my biggest thing is I'm going to give up sugar in my coffee and tea.  I've done it in the past, then always ended up going back to having sugar again, so hopefully, I can do it for good this time.

chesilbeach, I cut out sugar/honey in my coffee/tea gradually, over the years.  Now I don't even want it, or like it.  Going cold turkey the way you do it is the hard way and maybe gives it more power than it should. ??  I'm only suggesting a gradual cut-down, it worked for me. :)

Even though I don't take sugar or anything in my tea and coffee, I sure have been neglecting my diet too!  What with the day trips we take and such.......it's difficult.  Yeah, that's a heck of an excuse.  :lurker:   At least I haven't gained too much, and my clothes still fit.  heh

Thanks pontalba, I think I might consider cutting down first too, especially in my tea. Coffee is easy, I like the taste of it without sugar, and I only got used to having it as a flavoured syrup at the coffee shop, so when I'm at home or at work, plain coffee will be fine. Tea, however, is a different matter! I'm going to cut that down gradually, although if I switch to green tea, I'm happy having just lemon with that, or I can drink an unsweetened mint tea too, but my normal tea is Assam with milk, and I love it with sugar, so that's going to be the hard one.

I've only put on a couple of pounds, but I think that's more down to the exercise rather than the diet, as I haven't really overindulged, so hopefully getting back into the exercise will bump start my weight loss again.

• 2 weeks later...