Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon, frankie! :)

I am waiting until tomorrow to start my detox liquid diet because the roommates want to go out tonight and its been so long since we've all gone out together. In the last 2 weeks I haven't lost or gained a single ounce, which is okay considering I've been eating so much junk.

Do you guys get The Biggest Loser over the pond? I picked up the Boot Camp workout DVD put out by the show's trainers. Its really intense, I could barely get through the warm-up! :lol: I like it so far though.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon, frankie! :)

I am waiting until tomorrow to start my detox liquid diet because the roommates want to go out tonight and its been so long since we've all gone out together. In the last 2 weeks I haven't lost or gained a single ounce, which is okay considering I've been eating so much junk.

Do you guys get The Biggest Loser over the pond? I picked up the Boot Camp workout DVD put out by the show's trainers. Its really intense, I could barely get through the warm-up! :lol: I like it so far though.

Thanks Abby, I hope it's just a quick easy flu and I'll be fine after the weekend. I'm taking it easy though.

I don't think I could ever do a liquid diet, I get hungry easily and if I don't get something to eat, I feel very weak. I've once actually gone blind for a few minutes from not eating and having low blood sugar levels. That was really scary and I don't want to ever experience that again. It happened in Helsinki when I was younger, and I couldn't see anything and was so scared I didn't tell anyone, and my parents left the metro and looked around to see me get off and then they pulled me with them and I told them. I got over it when I got a chocolate bar to eat and some soda. But think if the metro doors had closed before my parents got me with them, that would've been really scary!

The Boot Camp DVD sounds really great, I wouldn't mind having that myself! Yeah we do get The Biggest Loser, and we're actually in mid season of season number umpteen, I love the show! We've also had two or maybe three Finnish seasons as well. It's very inspiring. The show's actually on in two hours, we have two episodes every Friday :D

That's a great compliment, JCW! :)

Actually, a liquid diet isn't all that bad. The one I'm doing is very a very loose one. Basically what I'm doing is a Slim Fast shake (190 calories) for breakfast, prune juice, cranberry juice, vegetable juice and water throughout the day and a bowl of tomato basil soup (200 calories) for supper. The total calorie intake will be roughly 1000 cal/day and the prune and cranberry juice will help (hopefully) flush out the junk from my body. After a week of this I'll add meat, eggs and solid veggies back in.

Are you hypoglycemic, frankie?

Well if you get more than 1000 calories from the fluids then it's not as bad as I thought it might be :) And about being hypoglycemic. I've never been diagnosed or anything, but since I had that "blind moment" I've always known that I need to eat regularly because if I don't I start shaking a bit, feeling really bad and irritable and I start sweating. I googled hypoglycemia and I wouldn't be surprised if I had it, it sounds so familiar.

I've once actually gone blind for a few minutes from not eating and having low blood sugar levels. That was really scary and I don't want to ever experience that again.

That sounds so scary Frankie! If I don't eat enough I get a bit shaky, but that's it.

My PT reckons she can notice a bit of difference in my body shape, and my Dad said I look slimmer. I don't know if I actually am or they're just being nice/seeing things. :)

That sounds so scary Frankie! If I don't eat enough I get a bit shaky, but that's it.

My PT reckons she can notice a bit of difference in my body shape, and my Dad said I look slimmer. I don't know if I actually am or they're just being nice/seeing things. :D

Kylie, it was one of the most scariest moments of my life. But I'm glad it only happened that one time, after that I didn't go anywhere without a Snickers bar in my bag for about 3 years :lol: The poor Snickers bar would stay in the bag for like 1 year and it would get all crushed up and sometimes the best eaten before -date was coming along so I had to eat it.

C'mon Kylie, your PT wouldn't lie!! I'm sure you're changing and toning up and getting slimmer if your PT says so. I'm so happy for you :lol::)

I was feeling very sorry for myself yesterday, because I couldn't go to the gym and do anything in the evening. My brain was craving chips! It was awful. But I stayed strong. I made a dip out of sour cream, garlic, mustard and honey and I dipped cabbage. It was good and healthy :)

Not many of you know this but I've started smoking regularly, quite a while ago but somehow I didn't think of myself as a smoker even though I was smoking daily. I'm thinking about giving up on this filthy habit but I know it'll be difficult and I'll start craving food more. Just something to put in my mouth.

At the moment I'm gonna make me a nice journal and start keeping a food and gym and exercise diary. I stopped following Ian K. Smith's advice because I was travelling and then I kind of grew tired of it and now I go to the gym regularly (when I'm not sick, that is) and I think I need more calories than Smith allows. I'm gonna start following his menus a bit more though from now on out and just add protein to the menu if I still feel hungry.

Edit: I smoke about 10 a day so I buy a pack of cigarettes 3-4 times a week which means that I'm spending 11,40 - 15,20e a week on cigarettes and I thought for the first couple of weeks I could take that money and with that buy myself some kind of an award for not smoking for a week. First I thought I'd buy a book, but I'm really trying not to buy books nowadays because of my mount TBR. Any other ideas? I'd rather it not be anything foodwise, for obvious reasons :lol:

Edited by frankie

I was feeling very sorry for myself yesterday, because I couldn't go to the gym and do anything in the evening. My brain was craving chips! It was awful. But I stayed strong. I made a dip out of sour cream, garlic, mustard and honey and I dipped cabbage. It was good and healthy :)

Not many of you know this but I've started smoking regularly, quite a while ago but somehow I didn't think of myself as a smoker even though I was smoking daily. I'm thinking about giving up on this filthy habit but I know it'll be difficult and I'll start craving food more. Just something to put in my mouth.

At the moment I'm gonna make me a nice journal and start keeping a food and gym and exercise diary. I stopped following Ian K. Smith's advice because I was travelling and then I kind of grew tired of it and now I go to the gym regularly (when I'm not sick, that is) and I think I need more calories than Smith allows. I'm gonna start following his menus a bit more though from now on out and just add protein to the menu if I still feel hungry.

Edit: I smoke about 10 a day so I buy a pack of cigarettes 3-4 times a week which means that I'm spending 11,40 - 15,20e a week on cigarettes and I thought for the first couple of weeks I could take that money and with that buy myself some kind of an award for not smoking for a week. First I thought I'd buy a book, but I'm really trying not to buy books nowadays because of my mount TBR. Any other ideas? I'd rather it not be anything foodwise, for obvious reasons :lol:

smoking is a ridiculously bad habit to get into, although I can totally see your reasons for doing so.

It would be better to be 50 and obese than to be 50, skinny with emphysema.

You could maybe try those nicotine only replacement fake cigarette things? They give the same sensation you get from smoking but without inhaling the tar and cyanide you get in cigs. Nicotine by itself whilst addictive is harmless.

smoking is a ridiculously bad habit to get into, although I can totally see your reasons for doing so.

In case you misread or misunderstood my previous post, I didn't start smoking so I wouldn't eat so much. I used to smoke regularly in highschool but then stopped, after that I've smoked only when I'm having drinks. I've been fine that was for years, I never craved for cigarettes when I wasn't drinking. However, last summer I just kept on smoking when sober as well. I'm trying to kick the habit now, although I know I'll allow myself smokes when drinking.

You could maybe try those nicotine only replacement fake cigarette things? They give the same sensation you get from smoking but without inhaling the tar and cyanide you get in cigs. Nicotine by itself whilst addictive is harmless.

I've thought about that but they are ridiculously expensive (which is a really lame reason because I've spent the same kind of money on smokes). And I don't want to get addicted to those instead. I'm quitting cold turkey, I've done it before and I know I can do it again. The physical withdrawals have never been a real bad issue for me, it's the lack of doing something. I love going to the balcony with coffee, cigs and a book. I'll try and continue that but having maybe gum instead of a smoke. Or just the coffee.

Thanks anyway JCW :)

I used to be a 15 a day smoker and I gave up to try and encourage my mum. About a year later, I was still not smoking and my mum had never really tried to give up and she ended up in hospital as she couldn't breathe becuase of her emphysema. She was in hospital over christmas and after seeing all of those people with oxygen masks etc I would honestly never smoke again. Luckily, she hasn't smoked now for about 2 years, but she will only ever get about 40-50% of her lung capacity back at best. I used the inhalater things for about a week and then went cold turkey although I did develop a polo addiction...... My mum eventually gave up with 3 sessions of hypnosis.

Frankie: Is there something healthy you could use as a substitute? I know it isn't the same, but I found that if I kept myself busy the cravings weren't as bad. :)

sorry I have a tendency to skim read :lol:

Haha, that's quite alright, I do that myself sometimes :D

I used to be a 15 a day smoker and I gave up to try and encourage my mum. About a year later, I was still not smoking and my mum had never really tried to give up and she ended up in hospital as she couldn't breathe becuase of her emphysema. She was in hospital over christmas and after seeing all of those people with oxygen masks etc I would honestly never smoke again. Luckily, she hasn't smoked now for about 2 years, but she will only ever get about 40-50% of her lung capacity back at best. I used the inhalater things for about a week and then went cold turkey although I did develop a polo addiction...... My mum eventually gave up with 3 sessions of hypnosis.

Frankie: Is there something healthy you could use as a substitute? I know it isn't the same, but I found that if I kept myself busy the cravings weren't as bad. :D

Kimmy, I so proud of you for quitting smoking, and still continuing on the smoke-free path :D But I'm really sad to hear about your Mum :lol: Does she have a chance of getting better, lung capacity wise? I've noticed that my breathing is heavier than it used to be when I'm jogging or exercising (well that's no wonder). That definitely has made me think about what I'm doing to my body.

Substitutewise, I wanted to start buying lollipops because they'll give your fingers some kind of activity but they're really not any good. I'm gonna try sticking to gum and doing the cabbage dipping if it'll get really hard for me.

Thanks for you support :)

Nope, no chance of improving, just maintaining. She can't even walk around the supermarket as she gets so out of breathe. Drying her hair with her hairdryer even tires her, but at least she has given up now!

The main thing I notice now is that I don't wheeze when I wake up. I used to sound like Darth Vader in the morning :)

Darth Vader :smile2: That's sexy!

A few hours and I've been smoke-free for 2 whole days. The first day was bad, the second was alrightish. I've not even been substitute-snacking.

Weightwise, no improvement. Heading to the gym today, I'm so much looking forward to it ;)

:clapping:You're doing great so far, frankie! Just think of all the awesome Beatles merchandise you can buy with the money you're saving by not smoking! *runs and hides*

So, I'll get Beatles merchandise and you'll also give me a run for my money?? :smile2:

Exactly! Don't you know that The Beatles are good for your health? Its true! Studies have proven that its impossible to not want to wiggle and waggle while listening to them, therefore working your hips and core. Depending on the level of jammage you could even substitute your regular workout for an hour of Beatles listening! I know, pretty awesome! :smile2:

I gave up smoking about 4 years ago. I had smoked between 10 and 15 a day for over 20 years and had 'tried' many times to quit. I woke up one morning and decided I didn't want to smoke anymore.

2 weeks later I bought a pack of 10 to 'see' (yes, I am that daft), smoked them, hated them and have not wanted one since! Reading one of the Allan Carr's how to stop smoking books a few months previously I think helped to reinforce how I felt, so made the mental transition easier.

Well worth it, for the cost, the health benefits, the smell! And I didn't put on any weight ~ I was already fat! :smile2:

Chrissy, congrats on kicking the habit :lol: The weird thing with smokes is that I've been not smoking a couple of times for about a week or two since last year, and the times when I started smoking again, it was the mental thing that led me back to it, the actual cigarette tasted vile after such a long period of not having smoked at all. And still I kept smoking. A tricky thing, smoking.

I wonder if Alan Carr was the one whose books Nick Hornby was reading for reassurence...

Well worth it, for the cost, the health benefits, the smell! And I didn't put on any weight ~ I was already fat! :smile2:

There are nothing but benefits to quitting. And I'm also already fat ;) But I don't want to put on more. I guess it's good that I quit now that I've been going to the gym for a while, so I'll keep exercising and for that reason I'll wanto to watch carefully what I'm eating.

I've just realised that I've got a wedding to attend to in little less than one month and it's making me panic. I'd hate to go there this big :smile2: I haven't seen all them relatives in ages and the last time I saw them I was at least 10 kilos lighter.

Try and separate your body image from your self image, Frankie. Try and lose some more between now and then, but aside from that wear a great outfit, and behave as though you are a supermodel. Your personality and confidence (faked or otherwise) will be what people think of, not whether you are heavier.

I really enjoyed my sister's wedding last year. I weighed in at around 102kg. I wore a lovely flowery dress, some funky wedge heel platforms and a big smile. Maybe I looked like a tank in a frock ~ but what the hell, I laughed, I cried and all I saw were other people smiling too. Fat? Pah!!! It is what I am ~ It is not who I am.

I've seen your pics ~ you are gorgeous. :smile2:

Try and separate your body image from your self image, Frankie. Try and lose some more between now and then, but aside from that wear a great outfit, and behave as though you are a supermodel. Your personality and confidence (faked or otherwise) will be what people think of, not whether you are heavier.

I totally get what you mean, and I'll admit my self image has so much to do with my body image it's ridiculous. That's something I'll need to change.

I've seen your pics ~ you are gorgeous. ;)

I bet all the pics you've seen are of me in 2006 when I was in great shape :smile2: Not that I look totally hidious now, but I do weigh more than in all them pics.