Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in need of losing weight and improving my health. Lots of my clothes don't fit anymore. Last year I just bought bigger sizes and now theses don't fit as well. I'm trying to walk more and my bike is going to the shop for repairs today. I'm also starting to swim again. I'm still trying to adjust my diet. I do have enough information on nutrition. Its just that getting so stressed meant I cooked less ate out and wasn't very active. I also had shoulder pains that the doc said should go away because I do have full movement on the joint. My sedentary winter life with too many rich foods needs to change. I've been wintering it for the past 4 years. In with the summer activities! I do know excercise is a great way to deal with too much stress and anxiety. Giving myself the push to start is the hardest bit.

I agree Kreader! Getting motivated is half the battle of weight loss. I have to admit that my motivation went for a jog without me and I need to give myself a kick up the back side and at least try and do some excercise!

Kreader, Cookie and others: do you have friends who could join you in your exercise experimenting? It's loads more fun with a pal, and more motivating. Even if one wants to pass the exercise and have a lazy day in, one can't because the friend'll whoop your ass and vice versa :roll:

I tried dieting with a friend who caved almost strait away, didn't tell me for 2 days then confesed all including the giant hot chocolate. I was so mad I ended up eating everything in sight...so i decided not to do that again :roll:

I had another PT session tonight. It was supposed to be my last one, but I have decided to continue with 1 session per week for a little while. I'll stop when I start worrying about the cost. :roll:

I have wised up to the realisation over the last week that I need to lose 4 stone/56lbs to be at a healthy weight

After reading this -

I tried Slim Fast. I lost nearly a stone in a couple of weeks. I came off Slimfast and ate actual (healthy) meals, and put the weight back on.

I am going to fill my cupboard with slimfast tomorrow !

Good luck, Johnny. :D Its really good to have a goal in mind for how much you want to lose. I also did Slimfast for a while and had success. They have a plan called 3-2-1 where you can have 3 100 calorie snacks, 2 shakes and one 500 calorie meal a day and you'll lose the weight. It works really well, just don't get the chocolate shakes. They do not taste like chocolate. :lol:

Good luck, Johnny. :D Its really good to have a goal in mind for how much you want to lose. I also did Slimfast for a while and had success. They have a plan called 3-2-1 where you can have 3 100 calorie snacks, 2 shakes and one 500 calorie meal a day and you'll lose the weight. It works really well, just don't get the chocolate shakes. They do not taste like chocolate. :D

Since seeing the Dietitian, which largely was a waste of time...or maybe it wasnt :lol: I have cut down to barely eating at all, yesterday I had one meal. So slimfast sounds perfect, I didnt even think of it till i started reading this thread

I could easily do without the snacks, one thing I've started to realise for me is that eating has become a habit that I do whether I'm hungry or not.

Genuinely pleased I saw Noll's post now

It really is a 'habit' isn't it? I have that problem too, especially at work. They're always bringing in doughnuts, bagels, popcorn, candy, and all sorts of stuff for us.

Just be careful about not eating at all. Your body could freak out and try to save more calories if you suddenly go down to eating almost nothing. It will think its starving and go into 'survival' mode and try to hold onto as many calories as it can when you do eat. Go for chicken breast is really low calorie and of course veggies are.

*realizes she needs to listen to her own advice* :lol:

It really is a 'habit' isn't it? I have that problem too, especially at work. They're always bringing in doughnuts, bagels, popcorn, candy, and all sorts of stuff for us.

Just be careful about not eating at all. Your body could freak out and try to save more calories if you suddenly go down to eating almost nothing. It will think its starving and go into 'survival' mode and try to hold onto as many calories as it can when you do eat. Go for chicken breast is really low calorie and of course veggies are.

*realizes she needs to listen to her own advice* :lol:

It definitely is a habit, for years my mind has been thinking 'oo food' usually when i'm not doing anyhting, but when I stop myself and say am I actually hungry, the answer 9 times out of 10 is no.

I've been quite disheartened reading online that you should lose 1LB a week, by that it would take me over a year! Cant wait to get my slimfast now, obviously it will still take a good few months but having a plan like slimfast is a great idea for me

I hope it works for you Johnny. I tried slim fast and although I wasn't hungry all of the time, I didn't lose any weight.....I must have been doing something wrong!

A few reviews I have read online in the last half hour are from people who say it doesnt work, I guess some people are just made up differently, worth a try though! I've just ordered a tub of every flavour of it from Tesco :lol:

Good luck with that Jonny, I can't stand those shake things. I've tried slimfast, cambridge diet etc and they all taste revolting mind you I don't like normal shakes either!

I've decided to just reduce portions and try and stick to the 3 meals a day and no snacking (hard when at work as people are always bringing goodies in lol) I've also joined a gym which I do 3 - 4 times a week. Ideally I'd like to lose 4 stones but would be happy with 2 - 3 :lol:

Good luck with that Jonny, I can't stand those shake things. I've tried slimfast, cambridge diet etc and they all taste revolting mind you I don't like normal shakes either!

I've decided to just reduce portions and try and stick to the 3 meals a day and no snacking (hard when at work as people are always bringing goodies in lol) I've also joined a gym which I do 3 - 4 times a week. Ideally I'd like to lose 4 stones but would be happy with 2 - 3 :D

Good luck with the gym, that is without doubt the single greatest way to do lose weight, improve mood and just health in general. It's something you should do at least 3 times a week, so if you are doing it 3-4 times a week you will see the benefits in no time.

I was attending a gym 3 + times a week for about 18 months up until about 3 years ago, I would be in there for about 90 mins a time I really enjoyed it, and I have never been in better shape but I just kind of fell out of of it mainly cos of the money involved.

When I lose a stone or two I fully intend to get back into going most afternoons, but will be trying the council run activa gyms which you can pay around about

I like reading some of the tips on this thread but people also need to realise the entire diet industry is a multi-billion dollar business based on a single lie- you need OUR product right NOW! Think about it, the only way to lose weight for 99& of people is eating healthier food and taking up exercise, no miracle of fad like Atkins, Blood Type diet, GI Index, etc etc.

The industry needs to convince people (mostly women) that the way to lose weight is to follow a complex and inflexible eating plan which will only last a month or two before the next super plan comes along. :lol:

Common sense goes a long way towards losing weight.

I like reading some of the tips on this thread but people also need to realise the entire diet industry is a multi-billion dollar business based on a single lie- you need OUR product right NOW! Think about it, the only way to lose weight for 99& of people is eating healthier food and taking up exercise, no miracle of fad like Atkins, Blood Type diet, GI Index, etc etc.

The industry needs to convince people (mostly women) that the way to lose weight is to follow a complex and inflexible eating plan which will only last a month or two before the next super plan comes along. :lol:

Common sense goes a long way towards losing weight.

Forgive me for saying it, but that is a very arrogant view topped off with the :D at the end.

I'm guessing you've never had weight problems huh:roll:

Good luck with the gym, that is without doubt the single greatest way to do lose weight, improve mood and just health in general. It's something you should do at least 3 times a week, so if you are doing it 3-4 times a week you will see the benefits in no time.

I was attending a gym 3 + times a week for about 18 months up until about 3 years ago, I would be in there for about 90 mins a time I really enjoyed it, and I have never been in better shape but I just kind of fell out of of it mainly cos of the money involved.

When I lose a stone or two I fully intend to get back into going most afternoons, but will be trying the council run activa gyms which you can pay around about

Forgive me for saying it, but that is a very arrogant view topped off with the :lol: at the end.

I'm guessing you've never had weight problems huh:roll:

Its not arrogant, how would it be? The sarcastic smiley was a dig at how shallow the weight industry is and how exploitative it is.

And yes, actually, i used to be 2 and a half stone overweight a few years ago and the way i lost it was to rethink my eating habits and incorporate some enjoyable exercise into my life, not pills or crash diets or Atkins or shakes etc or anything that is the crutch for gullible people who want an easy fix. The fact remains that it is an extremely exploitative industry and none of these problems existed when people ate normal healthy foods and exercised more back in the day but nowadays the industry wants people to believe we will all die if we dont follow their overpriced and nonsensical eating plan.

Its not arrogant, how would it be? The sarcastic smiley was a dig at how shallow the weight industry is and how exploitative it is.

And yes, actually, i used to be 2 and a half stone overweight a few years ago and the way i lost it was to rethink my eating habits and incorporate some enjoyable exercise into my life, not pills or crash diets or Atkins or shakes etc or anything that is the crutch for gullible people who want an easy fix. The fact remains that it is an extremely exploitative industry and none of these problems existed when people ate normal healthy foods and exercised more back in the day but nowadays the industry wants people to believe we will all die if we dont follow their overpriced and nonsensical eating plan.

The use of meal replacement supplements are a viable and well used option, used by athletes as well as people just wanting to lose weight and are not a 'fad' for gullible people. If something works for someone whats the problem?

The FACT is that I for one will find managing my diet a lot easier using a supplement be it for a few weeks, months or years and I am certainly not gullible.

I never said you were, i said a lot of these quick fixes are used by gullible people. If it works for you fine but its also a fact that none if these fancy diets or plans or pills existed not 50 years ago and that was primarily due to the fact that people ate healthy home cooked meals and worked hard all day, thus getting regular exercise. Its not rocket science but the diet industry dont want people to know that and to not pour more money into their empty and false industry.

Some people are in situations where eating healthy isn't an option, the ONLY important thing is wanting to change and develop good habits going forward. However that person decides to achieve it, they need to go into it with the right mindset.

That being said I have been doing Slimfast for some time now and have achieved a grand weightloss total of 69 lbs as of this morning.

About 50 of it has been since November. I combine it with exercise (mostly walking) and still allow myself some treats and naughty stuff from time to time, but if you're dedicated it really does work. Granted, some of the weight came during a bought of sickness (about 12 lbs total), but for the most part managing things with a tool like that really does help.