Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

<sneaks in>

Any men allowed in this thread??

Ha, i post this because i have been a member of a gym for nearly a year now and for the first 6 months i was very good, going 3 times a week and it made a difference in that i toned up a lot but since January, i have only been going once a week due to overtime, general tiredness and a lack of motivation and needless to say im not in the best shape!

My membership is up for renewal soon and i would like to know does anyone here have any tips on how to keep up motivation and sticking to it even if it was just 2 times a week. The thing is, im fine when im there and i enjoy it, the problem lies with dragging myself there in the first place!

Any advice would be appreciated thanks :D

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I hear you StephenKingman. That's my exact problem too. I enjoy exercising but find it very hard to get myself motivated to get started.

I joined a gym for 12 months several years ago and I wasn't sure how I would go, but I managed to stick to 3 times a week most weeks for the entire year. I found that paying them money was incentive enough for me. I'm a bit stingy with money and wanted to make sure I was getting my money's worth! :D

So I guess that's not going to work for you. The only other thing I can think of is a sort of reward system, but that would depend on what you wanted to reward yourself with. Or you could just come here every day and we'll nag you and nag you until you go. :D

Its hard to find the motivation, I went to the gym about 2-3 times a week for about 2-3 years but haven't been since March this years, my gym is not expensive but its been a case of lacking motivation and a desire to get exercise outside with the weather changing. So I have been walking to work this is about 50-55 minutes each way (although I am a slow walker) and i do a lot in the garden. The only problem is the weather is so variable that I am not going to walk in, in the rain, as our office is in the middle of nowhere and I would be trapped all day wet and having to walk home wet. So its a quandry, and it doesn't help that I am lazy and want to lie in bed more, however the sun motivates me to get up so bring on the summer.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Kylie, i agree that paying a lot of money is motivation alone to go to a gym and thats what spurred me to go for the first 6 months (as it cost me 500euro for the year) but then it got harder to go because of general laziness and overtime at work but i play tennis twice a week as well so i do at least get some exercise and today i managed an hour in the gym and it was very enjoyable, it helps if you mix and match your routine so i do 20 minutes cardio. half an hour weights and finish on the bike that keeps it fresh, so i think if we can just motivate each other thats half the battle :D

Pickle, thats great that you walk to work whenever you can- a 50 minute to and fro walk, even if slow, is excellent for you and i wish i had that drive although i know what you mean about getting caught in the rain, its a risk you take every day. I mainly joined the gym because i was getting SO dependant on the car to go everywhere and it was a choice between walking in the free world to keep fit or paying for the use of a treadmill and terrible music, so i chose the latter :D

I am resisting the temptation to comfort-eat, barely I might add. Someone care to recommend something to do with myself rather than stuff my face with Mars planets, Milky Way bars, Nutella straight from the jar and Pringles in quick succession?

I am resisting the temptation to comfort-eat, barely I might add. Someone care to recommend something to do with myself rather than stuff my face with Mars planets, Milky Way bars, Nutella straight from the jar and Pringles in quick succession?

Aw, hunni. Sorry you're struggling so much today. Think of it as a competition, a challenge of sorts. Don't allow the evil junk food to win. You'll beat those little :censored:ards.

I don't know if it will help you, but a couple of weeks ago when I started having to visit my doctor for a few issues it hit me. I'm going to be 25 years old in a little more than a month. Sure, immediately that number sounds young, but this is the turning point in life where the choices we make today start to become reality. The pounds don't come off as easily and the joints start feeling that extra weight. Of course, we are all different... this is just merely my personal mentality right now, but the last 10 years have gone by so quickly, the next 10 will go by even faster. I don't want to be 35 and wishing I would have done more 'back then' to condition my body and do what I could to eat better and lose the weight (I'll never be a tiny little thing with a flat belly and muscular arms, but that's fine with me).

Sorry for the rant. The last 3 weeks my health/weight has been on the forefront of my mind constantly. :D

stuff my face with Mars planets, Milky Way bars, Nutella straight from the jar and Pringles in quick succession?

That sounds great :D

I stopped myself last minute ordering Pizza last night, havent eaten one for weeks, big thing for me I would usually eat the equivalent of one a week.

Not had pizza, chips/fries for over a month and havent lost any weight whatsoever

Seeing a Dietician next week, starting to think it will be a waste of time and he/she is just going to give me a sheet printed out from the internet :D

That sounds great :D

I stopped myself last minute ordering Pizza last night, havent eaten one for weeks, big thing for me I would usually eat the equivalent of one a week.

Not had pizza, chips/fries for over a month and havent lost any weight whatsoever

Seeing a Dietician next week, starting to think it will be a waste of time and he/she is just going to give me a sheet printed out from the internet :D

Have you been training much mate? Or just cutting back on the food intake?

Have you been training much mate? Or just cutting back on the food intake?

thats the big thing with me, I havent done any kind of exercise for probably 3 years. Which I am more than aware will have a major effect on any weight loss..or not in my case.

I did used to go to the gym 3-4 times a week and I loved it and have proabably never been in better shape in my life than I wa then, but I just cant afford it these days, nor do I want to get stuck in a contract.

I'm disabled and carrying excess weight, at my guess probably around 3 stone, has quite a serious effect on my mobility i'm hoping somewhere along the line to be referred to a physio where I can get at least some kind of physical exercise.

thats the big thing with me, I havent done any kind of exercise for probably 3 years. Which I am more than aware will have a major effect on any weight loss..or not in my case.

I did used to go to the gym 3-4 times a week and I loved it and have proabably never been in better shape in my life than I wa then, but I just cant afford it these days, nor do I want to get stuck in a contract.

I'm disabled and carrying excess weight, at my guess probably around 3 stone, has quite a serious effect on my mobility i'm hoping somewhere along the line to be referred to a physio where I can get at least some kind of physical exercise.

Sounds tough mate. How limited is your movement?

3 stone - so that is around 20 kilos right?

I know how tough it can be to shift excess weight. At the end of 2007 I hit 130kgs. I am almost 2 metres tall but it was still a LOT of excess weight. I'm down at just over 100 now, but that first 6 months was easily the toughest stuff I have ever lived through.

Sounds tough mate. How limited is your movement?

3 stone - so that is around 20 kilos right?

I know how tough it can be to shift excess weight. At the end of 2007 I hit 130kgs. I am almost 2 metres tall but it was still a LOT of excess weight. I'm down at just over 100 now, but that first 6 months was easily the toughest stuff I have ever lived through.

According to Google 3 stone is

3 stone = 19.0508795 kilograms:tong:

always forget that people outside of the UK have no idea what stones is.

My movement is not great but it could be worse, i'm not in a wheelchair, i'm able to walk about (although I find that pretty painful after 10 mins or so, probably made worse by the weight), I never had any problems using any of the cardio equipment at the gym except for the treadmill due to total lack of balance.

Its annoying because I know if I went to the gym for around 90 mins or so 3-5 times a week, which I am more than willing to do, I would lose it in no time, they just all insist on you signing a contract so they get there money whether you go or not. :D which from past experience is a nightmare to get out of.

I would love to be able to just get up and go walking of an evening for an hour or so, but its very uncomfortable bit of a vicious circle.

According to Google 3 stone is

3 stone = 19.0508795 kilograms:tong:

always forget that people outside of the UK have no idea what stones is.

My movement is not great but it could be worse, i'm not in a wheelchair, i'm able to walk about (although I find that pretty painful after 10 mins or so, probably made worse by the weight), I never had any problems using any of the cardio equipment at the gym except for the treadmill due to total lack of balance.

Its annoying because I know if I went to the gym for around 90 mins or so 3-5 times a week, which I am more than willing to do, I would lose it in no time, they just all insist on you signing a contract so they get there money whether you go or not. :D which from past experience is a nightmare to get out of.

I would love to be able to just get up and go walking of an evening for an hour or so, but its very uncomfortable bit of a vicious circle.

Yeah mate that sucks that your mobility is poor. Makes it really difficult. Is it your joints or something?

Yeah mate that sucks that your mobility is poor. Makes it really difficult. Is it your joints or something?

I was born with Spina Bifida which basically means no balance at all, very limited sensation from the knee down, basically almost paralysed from the knee down, cant move my feet at all.

When I walk I mainly get pain in my hips, i'm almost certain its made worse by my weight and my advancing age no doubt :D cos I used to walk everywhere when I was in College.

They have a GP referral scheme here where they send you to a gym to be trained by a personal trainer for next to no cost, i've been asked to be sent on it 3 times it's like talking to the wall.

I have!

I started using one last year as part of an 8 week physio course run at my local hospital. Just sitting on them helps to strengthen your core muscles, but we did gentle but effective exercises with them too.

I still use mine at times, as it helps to keep my back 'healthy'.

I have!

I started using one last year as part of an 8 week physio course run at my local hospital. Just sitting on them helps to strengthen your core muscles, but we did gentle but effective exercises with them too.

I still use mine at times, as it helps to keep my back 'healthy'.

I bought one online hour or so ago just gotta wait for it to be delivered now, they do seem to be exactly what I need to strengthen my back. Just gotta keep it away from my cat :D

My 3 year old niece likes to pretend mine is one to bounce up and down on but otherwise they are good and there are a lot of different excersizes you can do for a lot of different muscles

I haven't been eating the best this week and have unfortunately gained 2 lbs. :D Tonight after work there is a trip to the grocery store on my 'to do' list so that I can get some better stuff to get back on track next week. :D

I bought one online hour or so ago just gotta wait for it to be delivered now, they do seem to be exactly what I need to strengthen my back. Just gotta keep it away from my cat :D

I'm getting wonderful visuals of your cat attacking the giant ball :D

About gym contracts - have you got a local leisure centre near to you? I have a membership at our local one and you aren't tied in to a contract, it is just on a monthly basis. Plus, it isn't as expensive as the private posh gyms.

Dieting hasn't been brilliant for me recently. I've kind of given up hope. Although I have lost weight, I can't see it in myself and my clothes don't feel any different. I feel destined to be this way forever and I hate it. I used to get bullied at school about my weight and looking back now, I was so skinny. I don't know what happened really :D I'm meant to be getting married at some point, but there is no way that I can do it in my current state.

I am glad you are feeling up to tackling the store for coolness :blush:

I've always been curious, here in the US all (at least the major) grocery stores follow a basic structure: If you walk in a circle around the store without going down any of the isles you'll hit the 'healthy' stuff. Fruits/veggies, bread (from the bakery there, not the factory stuff), meat and fish, and dairy. Basically the foods with the least amount of preservatives if any at all. Several people have told me to stick to shopping in a circle as you will skip all the 'junk'. Are stores in the UK and elsewhere like that too?