Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up buying 2 books today at one of my favorite downtown book stores (Zandbros if you're wondering, Peacefield :D ). I got Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and The Book Thief.

Tonight I plan on curling up with Heresy for an hour or two.

I ended up buying 2 books today at one of my favorite downtown book stores (Zandbros if you're wondering, Peacefield :D ). I got Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and The Book Thief.

Cool, Abby! Love that store :D. I'm reading PP&Z right now but have been concentrating more of my time on Bel-Ami. Speaking of, I'm about halfway through now. I was able to squeeze in quite a bit of reading yesterday but practically none today. The night is still young though!

Dan, Count is a big read, but what do you think of it? I think I would consider it my favorite classic, if I had to choose.

Dan, Count is a big read, but what do you think of it? I think I would consider it my favorite classic, if I had to choose.

Yeah I'm enjoying it. I'm about 300 pages in, but it is just so immense!

Its my favourite classic as well, although that isn't too hard given that it is the first one I have actually managed to stick with.

haha thanks! I heard its a tough read though, the topic matter is hard to get through. I really want to see the movie too, once I read the book.

It's definitely a tough read, right from the get-go. The movie's hard to watch too but the book is definitely worse in that respect. I watched the movie just last night, it was pretty great but perhaps not as great as I'd hoped. Let's see if you can spot the two rather famous names who are in the movie, playing smaller roles. I would never have noticed them if I hadn't known they'd be in the movie :D

I hope you enjoy the book, and have some Kleenex close by, just in case!

Oooh, The Book Thief, that's on awesome read :lol: I hope you like it!

I've read about 150 pages of Helter Skelter so far, still very gripping. Not as terrifying as before. I'm going to continue reading it today and then later today I'm going to go to a couple of charityshops and secondhand bookshops :D

I finished Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong this morning when I should have been getting ready for work, but being a little late was worth it. Another excellent book

I've read about 150 pages of Helter Skelter so far, still very gripping. Not as terrifying as before. I'm going to continue reading it today and then later today I'm going to go to a couple of charityshops and secondhand bookshops :D

Good news on all fronts Frankie! I can't wait to see what you get (and how many you get! :D)

I've almost finished But Gentlemen Marry Brunettes by Anita Loos.

I read the last 100 pages or so of A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin last night. Thought it was fantastic, if not quite as good as the first book in the series.

I haven't quite decided what to read next. It's between The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers, The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks or a re-read of Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton (so that I can finally get around to reading its sequel).

I didn't do much reading over the weekend so I'm still getting through The Sixth Lamentation but I'm enjoying it although sometimes the plot is hampered by some convoluted sentences which makes you stop to have to read them over again.

Received Goodnight Sweet Prince - the first in the Lord Powerscourt series by David Dickinson. I've read most of the others in the series but have neglected to read the 1st one.

Oh joy, a brand new Oxfam bookshop has opened in a highstreet near me. They've got a bit of filling of bookshelves to do but there is a lovely selection of books there. I didn't buy any on my first visit there this morning (help, am I ill?:D) but I'm sure I shall make regular forays into the shop.:D

Today I bought:

The Scientist as Rebel - Freeman Dyson

Sceptical Essays - Bertrand Russell

Moral Minds - Marc D.Hauser

Blackbeard - Robert Lee

Chance - Amir D.Aczel

Jack Tar - Roy & Lesley Adkins

Language: The Basics - R.L.Trask

Thermopylae - Paul Cartledge

I have a nasty habit of not reading history books I buy but hopefully I can change that.

Oh and also I read about 50 pages of When True Night Falls by Celia Friedman. Hopefully I'll finish it by the end of the day.

I just got back from an antique book store I discovered downtown and bought 4 beautiful jewels!!!

The Collected Poems of Walt Whitman printed in 1926

Leatherbound Coleridge's Poems printed in 1949

Leatherbound The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy printed in 1905

and my favorite treasure of the day:

Dramatic Life as I Found It by N. M. Ludlow SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR HIMSELF along with a quote he wrote to the person who bought the book in 1880. Its signed using one of those old quill pens judging by the strokes and is in near perfect condition! *bounces up and down*

I got all 4 for a mere steal of 30.00! :D

Aside from that I've been reading Heresy most of the morning and am really into it. What a great book so far.

Ooooh I'd love to hear your thoughts on The Scientist as Rebel - it's one of the books I would have bought while in W's Gower St. last week had my wallet allowed!

I've read a chapter and a half of Eyes Like Stars today, I'm hoping against hope I'll have the time to read the same before bed.

ETA: Abby, I'm officially jealous of your haul.

Hopefully I'll get round to reading it relatively quickly. Annoyingly I'm semi-obliged to read other stuff first so it may be a while.

Oh I don't know if you saw but in the second hand section of the Waterstones they write the price inside. Just thought I'd tell you now so you didn't fly into a rage in the store.

But there were so many more from that remainder section I'd love to have. Although I'm tempted by cheapness even when I know I probably won't read something.

I did notice and indeed began raging inside; then I decided that the day I find something in that secondhand section which I absolutely have to have I'll but it and rather than attempt to rub the price off I'll just overlay it with a nice bookplate as soon as I find someone to custom-make me some :D!

I have just been a'tescoing, and purely by chance two books fell into my trolley, Sarah Water's 'Little Stranger' and Marina Lewycka's 'We Are All Made Of Glue'.

I have not read any part of any book for weeks now, but I'm still buying them ~ at this stage it's got to be purely masochism on my part. :D