Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

Due to eventfulness, no reading whatsoever was done by me over the weekend. I also managed to go to two bookshops and emerge emptyhanded (though my wishlist got fatter), which turned out for the best finances being what they are.

I did have a moment of pride in Forbidden Planet however. I noticed The Glass Book of The Dream Eaters (or, the Book of the Glass Eaters as I first wrote... now that sounds like an interesting book!) in the Children's section so I pulled it out and beamed at the nearest bookseller while I informed him that this was most certainly not a children's book. He looked at me blankly and eventually said, 'I suppose you're right.'

... seriously. How long before they talent spot-me and give me a job?

Really hope to get some Eyes Like Stars read today, I want to get started on Dreams Underfoot!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just arrived home to discover a surprise book that my hubby has bought me: The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard :blush:

Haa, just the book I was asking about in the "Has anyone read..."-thread :tong: The blurb sounds interesting doesn't it? I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it :lol:

I have just arrived home to discover a surprise book that my hubby has bought me: The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard :blush:

What a good hubby you have!

I just downloaded The House of the Seven Gables on iTunes and discovered that they have a whole classics section with FREE BOOKS. I only had time to grab that one, but I will be going through it tonight as there had to have been easily 30 classics on there for free download to your iPod. What a great way to start the morning :tong:

As much as I like reading Sylvia Plath's journals, they're just a little too much for me at the moment, so I'm going to start on Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome, thanks to the Janet's review. :blush:

I'm sure you won't regret it. :tong:

My lovely colleagues had gotten me a present, since I've been ill for some time and still will be away from work for a while, they've figured I must be running out of books to read. So I got:

Michael Connelly- Trunk Music

Jess Walter - Over Tumbled Graves

Anna Jansson - Fr

My lovely colleagues had gotten me a present, since I've been ill for some time and still will be away from work for a while, they've figured I must be running out of books to read. QUOTE]

That is really lovely, I hope you enjoy them!:blush:

Kate and Sara, what lucky gals you are to having people buying you books!

I'm a couple of chapters into Three Men in a Boat and really enjoying it already. I'm very happy to be reading fiction again!

I picked up 2 books from the library, For One More Day - Mitch Albom

and The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry.

I`ve made a start on For One More Day. :blush:

I've read both of these last year, both very good.

I've read both of these last year, both very good.

Thanks for that Lucy :tong:

I`ve enjoyed the first two Mitch Albom books I read and really looking forward to The Secret Scripture. :blush:

I finally finished Wuthering Heights last night, I was soo giddy when I could finally start reading something else :blush: I started Sapphire's Push which is a really compelling read, I read about 90 pages in bed. It's about rather disturbing themes but makes an excellent read!

Will post my thoughts on WH later on the appropriate threads. Don't expect admiring feedback.

I havent long started reading His dark materials, got through about 130 pages, liking it so far and it is just about to start going, it's nice to read something that is quite light as opposed to something that seems to be stuck up its own backside for a change.

My best time to read seems to be very late at night lately for some reason, I'm going to attempt to break that today and spend a few hours reading when I finish work later this afternoon; which I havent done for a few weeks.

My best time to read seems to be very late at night lately for some reason, I'm going to attempt to break that today and spend a few hours reading when I finish work later this afternoon; which I havent done for a few weeks.

Good plan Johnny. Modern life and computers makes us all stay up late and keep weird hours to our detriment.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy WH so much Frankie :blush:

I've read a pleasing amount of my non-fiction books and have made copious notes. I'm also nearly halfway through Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome.

I just finished Push by Sapphire, an excellent read!

That's the book that the movie Precious was based off of, right?

I finished Wurthering Heights and will be listening to The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne on my iPod and reading Heresy by S.J. Parris.

That's the book that the movie Precious was based off of, right?

Yep, the one and only :blush: I've been dying to watch the movie but having read the book I don't know if I have the guts, it's really tragic :tong: The movie was named 'Precious' because there was already a movie called 'Push'.

I finished Wurthering Heights

Hurraa! :lol:

Yep, the one and only :blush: I've been dying to watch the movie but having read the book I don't know if I have the guts, it's really tragic :tong: The movie was named 'Precious' because there was already a movie called 'Push'.

I'll have to put Push on my list. The movie did really well at the Oscars. Just from the clips they showed throughout the night you could just feel how emotional it was.