Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started reading 'Every Day is Mother's Day' by Hilary Mantel, the two characters remind me so much of people I know, its quite scary!

Yesterday, I started and finished Bitten by Kelley Armstrong. I couldn't put it down! Such a good read :D

They are great I have read them all except the last one which I almost bought today Frostbitten but I had to resist temptation but I don't know how much longer I wil be able to

Just starting The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale today. :D

Oh good book, very creepy. The case was of great interest to Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins apparently.

They are great I have read them all except the last one which I almost bought today Frostbitten but I had to resist temptation but I don't know how much longer I wil be able to

Does each book in the series star a different woman? Or does Elena feature in any future books? :D

Finished The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent today. .

I've just started this after Weave recommended it. So far so good :lol:

Oh good book, very creepy. The case was of great interest to Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins apparently.

The intro talks about some of the authors influenced by the case.. Very interesting! I'm excited to read this one! :D

There are a number that do

Stolen

Broken

Frostbitten

there are others which are narrated by other memebers of the pack too,

but she also appears or is referred to in the others as well. the series of books are called the Otherworld series. so far they have all been good.

Sorry to all those that love it but my enjoyment of The Historian has taken a sharp dip. I just want Kostova to get on with it! Going back and forth between countries, waffling with professors, talking about the finer points of a manuscript they found, debating whether its relevant, discussing the history of said manuscript, eating a bit, admiring the countryside, AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She just wrote out an entire chronicle thingamajig. So yes. Not my favourite book. I'm on page 530 and not sure if I can be bothered to finish it.

I was paying attention to everything at first but since so much of it seems to be irrelevant I'm just gliding over the words now.

Sorry I've gone on. Tis frustrating me.

I read the book a couple of weeks ago. Review is in my reading blog. I thought it was excellent and gave it 10/10 with the ending a real surprise. Can't wait to see the film when it comes out over here next week.

hey thanks! I am definitely going to have to pick it up now! The movie is great, I hope you enjoy it! :D

Finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this afternoon, and have now complete the complete trilogy (I read them in the wrong order). Will now read something lighter: Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gail Parkin.

Nicola! Is this your first time reading the Kelley Armstrong series? They are SOO good! I read the first 3 and am itching to get my hands on the next one.

Awww Steeeeve, you sound like you're almost done with the Historian, do you really want to quit now? I'm sorry it's dragging for you :). I loved the ending though so I really hope you keep on :lol:.

I decided to start Pride and Prejudice and Zombies today. Let's hope my mojo hangs in there because I'm not a fan of it being so shy. Thanks again for the book, Weave! :D

Will now read something lighter: Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gail Parkin.

I'm interested in hearing what you think of it after you've finished, I bought the book rather spontaneously and I'm not that sure if it's really any good... :D

Edit: Finished Rosemary's Baby last night, it was really great :lol:

Edited by frankie

I've read a lot more of How I Live Now today. The whole time I'm reading this book, all I can think about is the bad review I'm going to write afterwards. :D I'm looking forward to moving on to something else. Thank goodness it's short.

I've read a lot more of How I Live Now today. The whole time I'm reading this book, all I can think about is the bad review I'm going to write afterwards. :D I'm looking forward to moving on to something else. Thank goodness it's short.

That doesn't sound like a delightful read at all. But like you said it's short, and then you'll never have to read it again :lol: You can also curse the book to your heart's content after you've finished :)

I started reading Wuthering Heights.

It's short enough that I've now finished. :D What's even more disappointing is that it was part of my dystopian reading challenge, and it's not even dystopian. :lol:

I'll be starting Wuthering Heights shortly.

That doesn't sound like a delightful read at all. But like you said it's short, and then you'll never have to read it again :D You can also curse the book to your heart's content after you've finished :lol:

I started reading Wuthering Heights.

I tried reading Wuthering Heights a few weeks ago and just couldnt get past the first page it just seemed to confuse me to the point where i couldnt move on so I gave up maybe try again some time but for the moment I think ill give it a miss let me know how you get on, if its worth giving another go.

xox

It's short enough that I've now finished. :D What's even more disappointing is that it was part of my dystopian reading challenge, and it's not even dystopian. :lol:

I'll be starting Wuthering Heights shortly.

Well that was a bummer in every way! How did it end up on your list of dystopian reads? :)

I tried reading Wuthering Heights a few weeks ago and just couldnt get past the first page it just seemed to confuse me to the point where i couldnt move on so I gave up maybe try again some time but for the moment I think ill give it a miss let me know how you get on, if its worth giving another go.

Well I've only read 39 pages or so and I'm liking it so far, if not loving it. I think it's still early days to say anything decisive about it :( Some of us are reading the novel this month for a certain reading challenge we have, if you think you'd like to read the novel but need mental support for it you can join our ranks :D

Just finished The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I wish I could say I loved it as much as some other people on here but for me it was ruined by a very boring couple of hundred pages in the final third. Picked up again towards the end but I didn't like it as much as I hoped to.

Will probably start Black Sun Rising by Celia Friedman later.

Have finally had a chance to unpack my Folio The Once & Future King, and the condition is truly shameful, particularly considering what I paid for the thing (which was meant to be 'As New') so I've just finished composing a rather irked message to the fraudster who sold it to me :D!

On a more positive note, I'll definitely read a chapter or two of Eyes Like Stars later :lol: by my current standards it's absolutely flying by!

JCW, may I suggest perhaps trying 'Tai Pan' by James Clavell? I found the Japan based sagas a little dense at times, but the China / Hong Kong books are a little more active.

So far no reading for me yet this weekend, although I have Laura Whitcomb's 'A Certain Slant Of Light' pending for later.