Jodi Picoult - 'Plain Truth'

Inver

:) She seems to be a popular author with a few of us on here, with good reason.

She is such a brilliant storyteller. This one involves the lives of those in an Amish close knit community and how the finding of a dead infant in a barn affects them all. Circumstantial evidence points the finger at Katie Fisher believed to be the newbaorn's mother, and is believed to have taken the child's life.

Ellie Hathaway, a city attorney with previous experience of living amongst the Amish takes on the defence job of representing Katie. The tangled murder case unfolds but the outcome has a slight twist to it.

I loved this book. :good: Jodi's research of the Amish way of life certainly adds something to her storytelling. I'm so glad I found this author and look forward to reading more. :)

This is one of my favourite books of hers. I learnt so much about the Amish way of life and how it is possible to resist the march of the modern world.

Katie's humility and acceptance of her situation and the outcome made me think about doing ones duty within society.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
SNAP! I've read most of her books that are easily available in the UK, but this was by far one of the best - it's the only one that has rivalled My Sister's Keeper in it's cleverness, and twists.

Although I have now read Mercy and thought that was good too, although no twists

• 2 months later...

Oh boy, I wanted to see what other people thought of this author/book. It's the only one of hers I've read and I think it caught my eye because of the setting. I grew up in Amish country, etc. Maybe I was just in the wrong frame of mind, but I found the book to be really amateur, maybe a little boring, and the phonetic German bugged me. Don't hate me! I once happened to be at a tiny local bookstore when she came by for reading, and she seems really very nice..I just can't read her books. I don't like feeling this way about an author with such a cult following.:)

• 1 year later...