Vodkafan's 2010 reading log

vodkafan

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which books did you buy?

Hi Abby I don't remember the titles off hand; they are in my locker I will have to look again. They are all memoirs of ordinary people. They reminded me of my mum.

Being on time irks you? :tong:

But hey, new books to read - never a bad thing :D Speaking of memoirs (a couple of posts back), I was thinking about reading some but have no idea where to start...Have to do some research.

The reluctant fundamentalist sounds like fun :lol: Reminds me of my Physics teacher(s) lol.

At least they were cheap! :tong: How is TRF?

Very easy read so far-unusual format at the beginning almost a monologue, he is talking to someone else but the other person is only inferred by the author/narrators responses.

Brida what sort of memoirs do you like? famous people or ordinary?

Both I guess, it doesn't really matter :tong: I haven't read much memoirs. Or diaries actually.

There is nothing to it, it is just about picking someone who interests you.

How about Papillon (Henri Charrere). That is an amazing book.

Or Angela's Ashes.

There is nothing to it, it is just about picking someone who interests you.

How about Papillon (Henri Charrere). That is an amazing book.

Or Angela's Ashes.

I knew about the film Papillon, so I expect the book to be great. Also, googled Angela's Ashes, it's on my tbr list now :tong: Thanks!

I knew about the film Papillon, so I expect the book to be great. Also, googled Angela's Ashes, it's on my tbr list now :D Thanks!

OK, I want to read Papillon again now too- it's been a long time since I read it.

book review:

If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell

It's quite OK if you don't know who Bruce Campbell is. I didn't either until a shocked film geek friend enlightened me that he was the star of the Evil Dead films and an all round Good Egg.

So on his recommendation-no, insistence -I watched Evil Dead and later, Bubba-ho-tep.

Then, interested, I bought this, his autobiography.

At about

Book Review:

East End Girl by Sally Worboyes

I have never read a Sally Worboyes novel: I suspect they are not my thing. I bought this book (and two others like it) because it was a memoir of her childhood in London. It reminded me of my mother, who died only last year.

I really enjoyed reading this and I thought often of my mother, who although was born 25 years earlier than the author, a lot of her early life must have been very similar.

It brought home to me how easy we do have it now in some ways but not others; even then little girls had to be wary of paedophiles. Also family life was not always great, life was very hard and it is obvious that Sally's mother was in a state of depression for most of her marriage, and Sally herself would probably nowadays be labelled a "problem child" and dosed up to the eyeballs to keep her docile.

But the sense of community and of her friends and relatives all around her shines out very strong, and of her knowing all the nooks and crannies of the streets like the back of her hand.

There is much more to like about the book. I am going to make sure my kids read this one. Maybe they will appreciate a little more the things they have.

It was an easy read .

I love these sorts of memoirs too, rather like you it's because it's similar to my Mum's upbringing. She was bought up, with six siblings, in a two-up two-down house with an outside loo but in the suburbs (Isleworth) rather than in London. I remember seing my Nan doing her washing in the copper then putting it through the mangle .. goodness we've got it easy nowadays!!

And community was everything, everyone knew their neighbours and rallied round if there was a problem .. you're lucky now if you're on nodding aquaintance with half the street! I read the actress Liz Smith's memoirs and she was saying that if a neighbour was very ill, they would put straw down on the streets so that the horses would make less noise.

For all their hardships, I think they had something then that is lost now.

Great review :D I'll look out for this one.

My Auntie had an old toploader .. it lasted for years. I think I've had at least three washing machines .. probably more.

I need to get to 'The Works' ... they've got some great bargains there ... it's how to do it without OH noticing. He's worrying that the house will collapse from the weight of books that's in it at the moment :D Still, three books for a fiver .... it would be rude not to!

• 2 weeks later...

book review:

Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters

as with most of my reviews I will keep it general not to give any plot points away.

I already reviewed the TV adaption on another thread, and the book is generally similar but not quite; I admit that the simplified plot of the film version makes for a more coherent story and nice dramatic ending.

However, the book scores in the rounding out of Nancy's character and the explanations of her inner feelings. These were the parts I liked best, it was impossible not to empathise with Nancy in her quest to be loved.

The book also highlights the fragile position of women (in general) and of "toms" (in particular) in Victorian times, and the inner conflict of women like Kitty who wanted their love lives to be hidden.

Some parts of the plot seemed "clunky" and a bit ludicrous, I will let the future reader decide on these bits for themselves.

Some bits I found surprising: the emphasis on the thrill that "toms" enjoyed dressing in men's clothes and being able to step out as men, then I remembered it was a very rigid society, so this made sense.

The sexy parts of the book (there are many) I found curiously unmoving, probably because I am not a gay female...or just getting old.

I am glad that I watched the TV adaption first, because I was able to read with the voices of the characters in my head, which made me read slower than normal.

Trying to get my wife to watch the DVD now.

A very good absorbing book, and at 497 pages almost a doorstep challenge!:)

book review:

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid

After reading A Thousand Splendid Suns I said I would never read another Islamic themed book; but I am glad that this one came my way (I don't remember how...)

It is a very strange and unusual book, it is one character (Changez) telling his story all the way through to a person who's responses are revealed only through things Changez says in his monologue...if you follow me.

That makes the book slightly surreal, but it works so well.

I think a lot of Americans will not like this book and will be unsettled by Changez' view of America and it's financial policies.

However, whether the reader agrees with Changez or not, his viewpoint exists (I have talked with muslims who say the same things) for real and therefore has validity; it is at least as valid as America's own view of itself. There are always two sides to every argument.

Read this book! It will make you think. But it is never boring. :)

It seems like you've managed to make me add to my wishlist... Tipping the Velvet is already on it but The Reluctant Fundamentalist isn't, I'm gonna go and edit my wishlist :D

I can send you mine to read if you want, if you don't mind the copies being a bit tatty. I need to make space.

I can send you mine to read if you want, if you don't mind the copies being a bit tatty. I need to make space.

That's really nice of you but you needn't do that, the posting of the book to Finland will cost you a pretty penny! You'll get rid of it easier when you take it to a charityshop :D

Oi vodkafan! When are you going to be reading Trainspotting? I need to first finish The Crimson Petal and the White and maybe Wicked but after that I might go for the novel. (Or might want to read a quick, fast paced crime novel before that.) Anyway I will probably get to reading T soonish and I thought it would be nice if you might be reading it at the same time, or quite soonish anyway so we could compare notes. No pressure though! TCPatW and Wicked are group readings so I don't want to put an exact timetable to Trainspotting as well if you know what I mean :lol:

Oi vodkafan! When are you going to be reading Trainspotting? I need to first finish The Crimson Petal and the White and maybe Wicked but after that I might go for the novel. (Or might want to read a quick, fast paced crime novel before that.) Anyway I will probably get to reading T soonish and I thought it would be nice if you might be reading it at the same time, or quite soonish anyway so we could compare notes. No pressure though! TCPatW and Wicked are group readings so I don't want to put an exact timetable to Trainspotting as well if you know what I mean :lol:

OK Frankie sounds good just let me know when you are about to start it say a day before? Then I will finish the book I am on .:lol:

I just finished reading the whole of the Lyonesse trilogy this month. I enjoyed it so muuch I am in a state of post trilogy bliss and want to savour it for a bit so I will hold off starting another book for a few days.