Vodkafan's 2010 reading log

vodkafan

Ooh, evocative language...I might have to bump this up my TBR pile! I've just realised that I have absolutely no idea what The God of Small Things is actually about. :ditto: It must be one of the few books I've bought where I haven't known anything about it. I shall await your further opinions eagerly. :lol:

Kylie I am well into chapter four and I still don't know what it is about :lol:

Edited by vodkafan

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read The God of Small Things and it was a very interesting book, there were some beautiful passages and it painted some beautiful pictures in my head, but at the en the day i am not sure i can tell you what it was about and i probably wouldn't re-read it.

I have read The God of Small Things and it was a very interesting book, there were some beautiful passages and it painted some beautiful pictures in my head, but at the en the day i am not sure i can tell you what it was about and i probably wouldn't re-read it.

You have just put into words how I feel about 'The God Of Small Things'. Thanks pickle! :ditto:

After Reading about 80 pages of Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby I finished the book. Decided to start one of my new books next, Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris and have read about 70 pages so far. Might get a bit more in before bed so possibly 100 pages, which is about 1/3 of the book.

Well I am at work. So might well get the whole book finished. Struggling with Miss Roy though. Feeling tempted to switch to something easier. :ditto:

Book Review: THE BLUE WORLD by Jack Vance.

I first read this when I was about 16. Jack Vance is my favourite author and although all his books are good this one is my favourite.

Sklar Hast is one of the descendents of the survivors of a crashed spaceship marooned on a strange world that is all sea, no land at all. But he and his fellow citizens know no other world and have made a strange (to us) but peaceful society. They live on giant floating sea plants and have developed a technology using all natural materials. There is plenty to eat.

But this peaceful world has one drawback- nasty sea creatures they call kragen. One in particular has grown so large he is known as King Kragen.

Sklar Hast one day decides to kill King Kragen and becomes the catalyst for a revolution that will either liberate the people of the floats or kill them all...for he must also go against the established cult of the Intercessors who worship King Kragen.

Lots of things make this my favourite Vance book....the way he has thought out the technology. (Like all JV books it is presented in liitle footnotes on the bottom of the page) This would really work! I like the way Sklar Hast character is represented. He has faults like a real person.

Also I like the fact that (as in some other JV books) there is a gentle romance going on as a sub-plot.

If you have NEVER read a JV book before then It is no good me telling you about the sheer fun of his writing style and use of words that just carries you alongpage after page...you will have to discover this for yourself.

You can buy this book on Amazon for 1p. You have no excuse! :blush:

Andrea were you saying that because you have already read it? I am a chapter in and it has something about it....her description is strong, quite sensual and evocative language...the first chapter seems a bit messy but she does have a lot of explaining to do...I won't say any more till I have read it all. :roll:

No I haven't read it but it does sound interesting.

Hmm, interesting views on The God of Small Things!

Indeed. I don't know whether to be put off or even more curious to read it now!

Well I finished The God Of Small Things . It was a grim struggle to the death....nah it wasn't so bad. I will review it Saturday. :D

Reading something lighter now as a rest.

Edited by vodkafan

Book Review: The God Of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.

After struggling through with this book I found it ultimately rewarding and worth the effort. :lol:

I think the reason it is hard to read is the sheer amount of rich description which hits you like a wall. It is like suddenly entering a cluttered room with busy Paisley wallpaper and ornaments everywhere to catch the eye. Enough for maybe two or even three books in there.

But I guess that is just her style.

The story is basically that of a family trapped in the rigid confines of the caste system. It is also a story about different types of love. It is told mostly through the eyes of Rahel who has come back to the ancestral home after being in America for many years .

She has been summoned home because her twin brother Estha has ReReturned. He was sent away (Returned) after something terrible happened 23 years ago.

It helps if the reader has a bit of familiarity with Indian society and ways (as I do) Even so, it was fully Chapter 10 (half way through the book)before I began to understand what was going on. The story jumps between the now adult Rahel and what happened when they were children.

Up till then, several hooks kept me reading. Firstly,

What happened to Sophie Moll?

Secondly,

Why was Estha Returned? Was it a punishment?

Thirdly,

What has happened to Estha? Why is he so withdrawn from life?

These are the three big ones. But there are several smaller ones :

What happened to Ammu's marriage?

and Baby Kochamma's story too.

Being married into an Indian family, I found the characters and events that unfold completely believable. Even today this could happen, let alone the post-independence India of the story.

The final thing you want resolved as a reader, is can Rahel reach her twin again after so many years apart? Even then there is a twist.

Good book.

Edited by vodkafan

Wow, I wasn't expecting a positive review from you after what you'd said earlier! I'm so glad it turned around for you, and now I'm looking forward to reading it again. :)

Hi Kylie If you don't have it already don't buy it it is in my "to swop" list. Just let me know where to send it...

I am on my eighth book for february. Was going great guns, just starting to settle into a steady reading routine......but going to have to CUT MY READING IN HALF.....because I have decided to learn POLISH.

Going to pick up a teach yourself type of book on the way to work tonight. So this will be my constant companion for a while....wish me luck. :D

Good luck! I'm in awe of anyone who can speak multiple languages. I want to learn a language myself, but I find it rather daunting. I might just take some inspiration from you!

Picked up a conversational language course book and CD today, and somebody gave me a small phrasebook/dictionary. It has given me a headache already, that special language sort of headache.

Have put some words on flashcards so I can look at them and practice while working (my job requires no brain activity).

:D

Good luck! I'm in awe of anyone who can speak multiple languages. I want to learn a language myself, but I find it rather daunting. I might just take some inspiration from you!

That line sounds so strange to an Indian because most people around here speak and read at least two. :D for me, that numbers 5.

Good luck with the polish James! Dear me, I made a funny.

That line sounds so strange to an Indian because most people around here speak and read at least two. :friends0: for me, that numbers 5.

Good luck with the polish James! Dear me, I made a funny.

I have a friend in Bangalore he speaks and writes his native Malayalam, Hindi and English. What other languages do you know Vinay? Telugu maybe?

I can get by in French (but am very rusty) and I know a few phrases of Gujerati, Punjabi and Urdu I have picked up. I want to do the Polish thing properly though.