Vodkafan's 2010 reading log

vodkafan

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's it about, I'm intrigued now by your impression of it? :blush:

Gotta love that feeling :) Last time it happened to me was...after reading Life of Pi I think.

Hi Brida,

it is Jack Vance's masterwork, and the best fantasy book I have ever read. Basically set in our world but about 1700 years ago on a big island that no longer exists below Britain and west of France . It consists of ten kingdoms the largest of which is Lyonesse, ruled by the nasty King Casmir. There are no boring orcs and dwarves and elves but there are fairies and trolls aplenty, and a dozen or so major magicians. Everybody seems to know a little bit of magic and just take it for granted. In previous times the magicians fought amongst themslves and allied themselves to various kingdoms so to restore peace the most powerful of the magicians Murgen imposed a law that forbids wizards involvement in human affairs. By and large this law holds. However, the naughty magicians seek to to circumvent this by creating "scions" (like avatars of themselves) to do their mischief. Murgen himself created a scion who early on became wilfull and eventually became a person in his own right, Shimrod.

There are also several mysteries, sub-plots, and love stories in the books to keep anyone happy. The magic is very imaginative and fun unlike the tedious and pompous LOTR.

Hope this helps? It is long out of print but you can get the whole trilogy second hand on Amazon for less than

Seems like you've been having loads of blissful moments lately with your reading, nice :irked: I just thought I'd let you know I just started reading Trainspotting today but no worries, I noticed you want to be enjoying your post-trilogy happy state and I totally get that :smile2: Take your time mate!

Seems like you've been having loads of blissful moments lately with your reading, nice :irked: I just thought I'd let you know I just started reading Trainspotting today but no worries, I noticed you want to be enjoying your post-trilogy happy state and I totally get that :smile2: Take your time mate!

OK Frankie Trainspotting it is then but I think I left my copy in my locker at work so won't be able to start it till Thursday....

Hi Brida,

it is Jack Vance's masterwork, and the best fantasy book...

Aha, it's fantasy - explains why I haven't heard of it :smile2:

I must admit, I've never read fantasy books. They sound interesting, but I can never get into them I guess.

It does sound great though (Lyonesse), I think I might give it a try sometime in the future. Just hope it won't end like Guy Gavriel Kay's Lord of emperor's - unfinished. I did start reading it, but the next day I just wasn't in the mood for it any more and picked up something else :irked:

Hallo, voddy fan, how's it going with Trainspotting? :roll: I've just reached my favorite part of the book, it starts on page 239, it's titled Bad Blood. That's a real shocker, let me know when you've read it and what you think about it if you will :D

Hallo, voddy fan, how's it going with Trainspotting? :roll: I've just reached my favorite part of the book, it starts on page 239, it's titled Bad Blood. That's a real shocker, let me know when you've read it and what you think about it if you will :D

Hi Frankie,

I am quite a bit behind you because of things going on at home. I will most likely catch up over the weekend when at work. It's an interesting book though, I am enjoying it although I would not want that life!

• 4 weeks later...

Well not quite half way through the year and I have got through 31 books, many of which I would never have thought of reading before I got here. I am well placed to beat my target, which is 52 books for the whole year (1 a week) How is everybody else doing? :D

You'll easily beat that goal Vodkafan! It's a good feeling isn't it? I'm also on track to beat my target. :D

My TBR pile is only one tenth the size of yours though Kylie....that would stress me having so many.

I didn't have an actual target for the year, but I have read 33 so far. I think my target will be more to read a wider range of books than previously - which BCF is definitely helping with! Like you, vodkafan, I find I am reading many books that I would never even have picked in a bookshop before. :D

I just finished reading The Night Watch and enjoyed it. I read it much quicker than I expected, only two days. I may read something else or I may have a rest for five days until July.

Well I did squeeze a couple more into June. At the moment I am half-way through The 19th Wife. This was not off my TBR pile just an impulse buy from a charity shop as usual.

I read the 19th Wife not one of my favourites though i'm afraid, i'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

Hi Kidsmum, I just finished it last night, I plan to do a proper review soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Michelle has done a grand job hasn't she? And Janet has been our resident calming Guru! :lol:

So VF, what were you reading while we were off line? Anything good?

Several books I have started but finished none. Handmaid's tale, White Teeth, We need to talk about Kevin

'Handmaid's Tale' I found chilling. 'We need To talk About Kevin' has long been on my TBR pile, and I will probably never read 'White Teeth' as I once saw the author (Zadie Smith?) in interview and took a really strong dislike to her.

Is your reading mojo flitting about a bit at the moment?

Hi VF

I loved Handmaids Tale, We Need to Talk about Kevin is on my TBR pile but White Teeth i didn't think much of, one of those books that doesn't really live up to it's hype in my opinion.