Books that make you look "cool"

darren2k

I have often wanted to have a chat with someone on public transport about a book they are reading but never really have the guts to do so! There should be a symbol for "come talk to me about my book if you really want to!", like a certain type/colour of book mark protruding from the book. :D Would get the reading community closer!

Yes, like a traffic light system -

Red- Leave me alone and don't even look at my book.

Amber- You can look but don't chat.

Green- Come talk to me I'm everyones friend!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, like a traffic light system -

Red- Leave me alone and don't even look at my book.

Amber- You can look but don't chat.

Green- Come talk to me I'm everyones friend!

Haha, yeah that would be great! There would be designated carriages on the tubes and trains for readers to discuss their books. Book Club Carriages!

"...I love seeing people reading...someone who really doesn't look the sort (unfair to judge I know but meh) whips out a book."

Ditto.

While I agree with what's been said, on the whole though, it's worth minding that books don't make people, people make books.

Edited by BookJumper

... of course books make people. Everything you experience influences you one way or another, and if your experience of choice is that of books, then it must follow that who you are is influenced by what you've read.

"... of course books make people. Everything you experience influences you one way or another, and if your experience of choice is that of books, then it must follow that who you are is influenced by what you've read."

I agree, Bookjumper, but what I was talking about was the fact that you can't judge a person by a cover.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On a flight to prague recently, I had the pleasure of sitting beside a woman who was reading The Road and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Needless to say we talked books the whole of the flight. Cool IMO:mrgreen:!

• 3 months later...

Oh, dear. Books that make me look "cool"?

The first genre of books I ever read was fantasy and horror. I don't think that made me look "cool". More like a goth geek, I would say, which I sort of was. :friends0:

Guest Eliza1

When I was about 15 I saw a girl older than me reading Far from the Madding Crowd. And the name appealed to me for some reason and I thought she was soooooooo cool haha. So I decided to read it a year later and I enjoyed it. I read the grapes of wrath after that and I enjoyed that even more.