Books that make you look "cool"

darren2k

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any book by Haruki Murakami or Neil Gaiman or any book that you are enjoing so much you are riveted to it in a public place.

There's nothing cooler than an engrossed reader that has switched off from the world (while keeping a discreet eye out for fires and potential muggers!).

Totally agree with this...

I agree. I keep my Twilight reading at home if I can. I try not to read Dan Brown or Twilight in Public.

I think The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is kind of cool at the moment, I see a lot of the books from the series on planes and trains.

What a great thread!

Also with this - although I always struggle when something I discovered when it first came out then goes 'global' and every man and his dog are reading it, saying "Oh, this is, like, so cool la la laaa" - irrational and deeply unfair to any author lucky enough for this to happen to them, I know. I'm a freak. A big freak.

I think reading any classic makes a person look literarily (?) cool. But seeing someone sitting down with a battered, clearly re-read copy of some Dickens or Hemmingway or something - makes them look like they're really into their LITERATURE, as opposed to reading. Which I think makes them look cool.

I'm here with Noll, as well. Although I was sitting on the tube once, happily reading my old copy of The Iliad and a chap in a suit said "Tw*t" as he walked past me. Now, granted, he could have been suffering from Tourettes, it might not have been directed at me or I might have offended him in some other way but, however it came about, it still made me go "Hmmm..."

I used to read Dan Brown's stuff in public before The Da Vinci Code came out. But again, I really struggle with him now (see above) :smile2:

Haha I hate people seeing what I'm reading in public. I made a book cover for that very purpose and if the books a hardback I always take the fly cover off to make it harder for people to see!

I do this as well, but only because I'm a total nut-job and can't bear the thought of damaging any part of the book. I am Mr Hospital Corners when it comes to keeping my books in good condition. A total freak. Somebody should give me an injection...

Well I agree with who it was that said I think any (okay most) people reading in public is cool. Seeing them read books I adore makes them look cool in my eyes, since then I'm like "hey a kindred soul".. :yahoo:

Plus, living in the Netherlands, I love seeing people read books in English (or any other language besides Dutch, unless I think it's their native language)... because it shows they've mastered another language well enough to read in it. And that requires a certain level of intelligence, I love smart people. :D

What I don't like seeing people read, what makes them look "uncool" in my opinion, is any books that's part of one of those hypes. You know, Twilight, Dan Brown, you name it. Those books that everyone's reading now, everyone suddenly thinks they're cool, where if you'd let them read it a few years ago before the hype, they wouldn't have thought much of it. :smile2: I myself generally resist reading these hype books, just the fact that they're part of a hype makes me not want to read them. I hate hypes, I hate trends etc.

Well if they read other stuff besides the hypes too, and make up their own mind about the books, then possibly, it's not a bad thing. However, some of these people only read these hype books, and don't think what they themselves think of those books, when you ask them for an opinion, they pretty much give you the opinion they think they're supposed to have.. :yahoo: I guess I am a bit of a snobby reader myself.. though there are some people that would see me as not a very "good/high-class" reader maybe, since I barely read outside the fantasy/sci-fi/horror genres. Many people seem to look down upon these genres, as if it's worth less than other books. :smile2:

I'm yet to see anybody reading a book outside of libraries or the classroom during my nineteen years on this planet :smile2:

I'd be inclined to give a nod to anybody reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 -- but on the other hand, I'd probably be quite unimpressed by somebody reading Ulysses on a train.

If I was ever reading on a train or bus, I would probably make sure that it was a book that was pretty light -- because I get pretty flustered if I don't know the meaning of a particular word or phrase. I am the type who has to look it up straight away for piece of mind.

Well if they read other stuff besides the hypes too, and make up their own mind about the books, then possibly, it's not a bad thing. However, some of these people only read these hype books...

I'm inclined to agree. When all the kids in school were reading the latest Harry Potter thing, I was thinking 'Hang on, this is just a fashion thing!', because they were all carrying around Harry Potter and the Whatsit of Doodah. I used to grumble a bit about it, but then other teachers were saying how great it was that it was encouraging them to read. My argument was that this was all they were reading. Purely because everyone else was reading it.

I can't make up my mind. It's great that it opens up the possibility of future reads and different authors, but really annoying when it's simply 'cool' to be holding such-and-such a book. :smile2:

I know what you are both saying, but I still think that is a good thing. Maybe a 'hype' book will inspire them to read something else. Then again, maybe not :smile2: Some books that I enjoy would probably be included in the books that you are referring to. I enjoy them, but they aren't the only things that I read.

If I read on any public transport, I can only read really easy books as you end up getting distracted so much, so I doubt that I would look very cool:lol:

I'm yet to see anybody reading a book outside of libraries or the classroom during my nineteen years on this planet :smile2:

Really?!! I see people reading all over the place! I always take a book out with me - I read in cafes, parks, sitting on benches waiting for my kids, walls...!

Oh and i have to say this too, what's it with everyone loving Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Is the book very different from the film, because I hated the film. Hated, hated, hated. One of the few Depp films I cannot stand. :lol:

I loved the book, but haven't seen the film, so I couldn't say. Perhaps I should sort out the film at some point and carry out a comparison. :lol:

Oh and i have to say this too, what's it with everyone loving Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Is the book very different from the film, because I hated the film. Hated, hated, hated. One of the few Depp films I cannot stand. :lol:

The film is a pretty faithful adaption to the book, so maybe you should give it a miss.

The book is a thoroughly entertaining read for anybody who has a penchant for the crazy :lol:

The book is much better than the film, although I did enjoy the film!

I have to take older books with me as they get a bit crumbled in my bag. I wouldn't want to crumple one of my favourites!

For this reason I'd like to buy one of those bookcovers that fit all books so they'd stay in better shape, but I don't like the look of them (although I have to say Janet's leathercover was fab! :lol:), the fabric's quite awful in some of them, they look like umbrellas. Also, I actually don't mind people seeing which book I'm reading, I'd actually like it if someday someone would come up to me and say "wow I've read that book too and it's awesome" or something :lol:

Haha I hate people seeing what I'm reading in public. I made a book cover for that very purpose and if the books a hardback I always take the fly cover off to make it harder for people to see!

I do this as well, but only because I'm a total nut-job and can't bear the thought of damaging any part of the book. I am Mr Hospital Corners when it comes to keeping my books in good condition. A total freak. Somebody should give me an injection...

I like this idea of using a book cover. I wouldn't use it so much for hiding my book (that would just be a side-benefit) but I would like to be able to protect them more!

I'll have to keep an eye out for them because I haven't seen them around before.

^That is one book that would automatically classify you as uncool in my opinion. Not just uncool, but worse.

Mind you, am not trying to offend anyone here, so please don't take offence by what I say..

My views on this are so complicated that half the time I don't know what I think about it, and I know forums often are not fond of the religion discussion, so I will not elaborate, let's just say I dislike organized religion, and Christianity in particular. :lol:

Unless you're reading it as fiction/for fun, have heard it's quite a story then hee hee. :)

Of course, I have an unfair advantage, what with being so unbelievably cool anyway, that any book I'm holding has it's sales boosted by 200%....

Ha. Ha. Ha. :)

*sounds of Mac gasping for oxygen from laughing so hard at the irony.