Favourite memories?

Michelle

More than reading any books, I remember waiting in anticipation for my mom to return from the library (or take me with her), with new books to read. Sometimes mom chose things that I wasn't sure belonged in the children's/young teens section, though... :)

I also remember the thrill of being scared witless by a book. Something that hasn't happened again for me since childhood. As an adult, The Historian gave me chills, but didn't scare me as much as I would have liked.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite memories of growing up are of our weekends canoeing on the river, sledding, skiing, hiking in the forest & horseback riding - all with our Church youth group.

• 3 weeks later...

I first got hooked on reading about a girl who created an imaginary friend

Enid Byton with The Famous Five (I wanted to be George), The Faraway Tree, and those boarding school books.

The Hardy Boys mysteries

Nancy Drew

The Chronicles of Narnia (I spent all my lunchtime at school reading the whole series. I forgot to eat lunch sometimes).

Kidnapped

Animal Farm

• 1 month later...

When I got my pocket money I use to rush straight to the book shop and buy a paperback. Some of my favourites childhood books include

The Waterbabies

The Secret Garden

The Railway Children

The Cat in the Hat

And anything with horses in it as I was pony mad.

Roal Dahl has got to be the one that sticks out to me. The Twits was one of my favourites! I really should get a copy of the Dahl collection! I also remember a book about a Caterpiller called Omnibombulator which I loved! I think it might even be somewhere at my mum and dads house!

"Are You There God It's Me Margaret" sticks in my mind. I hated reading as a child, and that was one of the first books I read from cover to cover in one shot, it took me 4 hours, I was 12. I was hooked on Judy Blume after that.

It was a nice day, I didn't go out to play, watch TV or do anything but read that book.

I loved it so much I convinced my daughter (who is 10) to read it and she also loved it.

Also as a child I loved reading auto-biographies. I read and loved a Helen Keller biography I read, and I also read this book entitled "Karen", it was about a handicap girl.

Funny, all these years later, I still love biographies/autobios/memoirs.

Enid Blyton is probably my favourite author of all times. I loved the Faraway Tree series, Secret Seven, Five Find-Outers (and dog) and St Clair's (I think the heroine was called Darrell, and her best friend was Sally). Oooh, the circus ones were good too, oh and the Barney mysteries! So's the Willow Farm series, Amelia Jane, Mr Meddle, wishing chair... And those short stories! I love all her books, as you can probably guess from that :D

However, one of my strongest memories was actually from reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. I think I was 9 or 10 at that time, and there was a copy of Dracula (probably my Mum's), and I read the entire thing. I was horribly afraid of the dark when I was young, and the book didn't help. I was SO SCARED, but for some strange reason I couldn't stop reading. I finished the book, scared myself witless, and I actually buried the book in the storeroom, beneath boxes, because I thought that that might actually help, you know, in case Dracula comes alive from the book, at least he'll be stuck in the storeroom, haha. I remember being especially frightened of inviting people into my house for a very long period of time :D