Kelly's Reading 2010

lexiepiper

58dc7e31.png

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

No. of pages: 278

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: “Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.

“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.

I am that girl.

I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.

I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.

Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend’s restless spirit. In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia’s descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.

Review: At just over 100lbs (around 7 stone) Lia looks in the mirror and see a fat, ugly girl. Having just come out of a clinic for the second time, she has to work hard to hide her weight loss, for it seems no one else can see how hideous she looks. Then her best friend dies, and her ghost haunts Lia, enticing her to come over to the other side. This is the biggest struggle of her life, but will she survive it?

Although I knew what the subject matter was before I started reading this, I didn't realise how intense and hard it would be to read. Although Lia is tiny and frail, she looks in the mirror and see a fat, hideous girl, and she cannot understand why other people can't see her 'as she really is' and that is a truly sad thing to read about. I almost found Lia scary in her intensity, she truly could not see that she was destroying herself, and you feel like you're decending into insanity and obsession with her. I loved the writing style, told completely from Lia's perspective, it gives you complete insight in to the mind of an anorexic, especially in the way that when she sees any piece of food, all she sees is the number of calories that it has. I particularly loved the crossed out sentences which tell what she's really thinking and feeling, but how she denies herself basic things to 'stay strong'. Definitely a read that will make you think about your relationship with food through different eyes. An interesting and enjoyable read, I would definitely recommend both this, and also Speak by the same author.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5f407db4.jpg

Harvest by Tess Gerritsen

No. of pages: 510

Synopsis: Dr Abby DiMatteo - a second-year surgical student in Boston Bayside's elite cardiac team - is about to make a decision that will jeopardize her career. A car-crash victim's healthy heart is ready to be harvested, having been cross-matched to a private patient, forty-six year-old Nina Voss. Instead Abby makes sure the transplant goes to a dying seventeen-year-old boy who is also a perfect match. The repercussions leave her plagued with self-doubt. Suddenly a new heart appears, and the transplant is completed - but Abby makes a terrible discovery. The new heart has not come through the right channels. Defying the hospital's demands for silence, Abby begins her own investigation that reveals an intricate and murderous chain of deceptions ...

Review: Abby is a second year surgical intern at Bayside medical center, and is finally getting to where she wants to be in her career. So when a heart becomes available she assumes it will go to the deathly ill 17 year old boy who is crashing multiple times a day and has minimal time left to live. Instead, she's told it'll be going to a 46 year old woman, who is a private patient. Suspicious that she's only getting it because of her money, Abby makes sure the heart gets transplanted to the boy instead. But when another suitable heart becomes immediately available and the woman gets transplanted, Abby has to wonder where it came from, because after all, they couldn't possibly be getting hearts illegally....could they?

Although not one of her best thrillers, I did enjoy this book, especially the heart transplant storyline which was interesting to read about. You figure out within pages of the beginning what the whole storyline will be, but there are a few bits that fit together more as the story goes on. I did find some of the characters hard to connect with, but I immediately fell in love with Yakov, he seemed so damaged, yet he was the character with the most personality and loveability. Abby was a strong, determined young woman, who was willing to do whatever it took to find out what was going on, even at the risk to herself, which I liked. It's always good to read books where there's a strong female lead. As with her other books, Gerritsen draws on her medical knowledge and that makes the books so much more realistic and enjoyable to read. Overall, Harvest is decent, but as it was her first thriller, it's not quite as good as her other books, such as her Rizzoli/Isles series.

f7f6d0ac.jpg

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

No. of pages: 391

Rating: 4.5/5

Series: Hush, Hush series (Book 1)

Synopsis: For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Review: When Nora's Biology teacher decides to change the seating chart, Nora is annoyed to be moved away from her best friend Vee, and to no less be stuck with the new kid, Patch. But then he tells her that he knows things about her, things it's impossible for anyone to know about, but she still feels weirdly drawn to him. Even when she suspects him of stalking her, she can just never seem to escape his constant presence. But then Patch starts letting her in, telling her the truth about what's going on, and ends up endangering her life...

I had heard an equal mix of great things and terrible things about this book, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I started it. But I'm a sucker for supernatural romance books like this, so I'm firmly in the 'love it' camp. I loved the relationship between Nora and her best friend Vee, they were so funny together and had little best friend quirks that reminded me a lot of me and my best friend, so that was really fun to read. And then there's Patch - dark, brooding and dangerous - what's a better mix than that!? This book is compared a lot to Twilight, and whilst the brewing relationship between Nora and Patch is a little reminiscent of the one between Bella and Edward, this book is certainly good enough to stand on its own merits. I loved the whole fallen angel thing, and enjoyed the progression of the storyline, which was fairly fast paced. I did guess some plot points fairly early on, but a few things did take me by surprise which is always good. Definitely recommended to fans of this genre (YA supernatural romance), and I can't wait for the sequel, Crescendo.

Wow! you are a reading machine at the moment Lexie :roll: ~ well done! I am super impressed. Great reviews as always, 'Wintergirls' definitely is a book that will give you a lot to think about and it sounds insightful and 'Hush Hush' sounds a great read too. :D

• 2 weeks later...

3fbed90d.jpg

Fallen by Lauren Kate

No. of pages: 452

Rating: 3.5/5

Series: Fallen (Book 1)

Synopsis: There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Review: Lucinda Price has been sent to the Sword & Cross boarding school after her involvement in a strange accident. As they strip Luce of everything from the outside world, including her cell phone, she can only assume S&C is going to be hell. That is until she meets Daniel Grigori, who she finds oddly alluring, especially as he seems to hate her. Luce becomes obsessed though, and is determined to find out about Daniel and get close to him, even if doing so will kill her...

I have to admit, it was the cover that drew me to this book. I think it's stunning, and it really intrigued me as to what the story was about. The story itself is nothing unique though, and I actually found the first half of the book a tad too slow going, which made it a bit hard to get into. But when it finally got to the revelations, the story picked up massively, and became a lot more enjoyable to read. The characters were okay, I feel like it would have been easier to get to know them if you knew more about each of them. Penn and Luce were the only ones I really felt you ever got to know more than basics about. Even when it came to Daniel, you never really learned nearly as much as you could have, but then I guess that's probably been saved for later books in the series. I will be reading the next book which is released later this year, as in theory now that it's all been revealed, the next book will be much more interesting and action packed. For people looking to read a book like this though, I would point them in the direction of Hush, Hush, which has a similar storyline, but in my opinion is a much better story.

Great review of Fallen Lexie! :lol: I read it a while ago too and found the same, a bit slow up until half way through with everything more or less crammed in towards the end. I will probably read the new one though to see if it's just the 'first of a series' curse thing :D Kookie has Hush Hush on her shelf too so I may give it a wee read! :)

1408e9e6.jpg

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

No. of pages: 390

Rating: 4.5/5

Series: Darkest Powers (Book 1)

Synopsis: My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost—and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House… before its skeletons come back to haunt me.

Review: All Chloe wants is to be a normal 15 year old girl that fits in, which is kind of hard when she's constantly changing schools. But finally she feels like she's found her place at her new art school... that is until she sees a ghost and has a complete melt down. It's insisted that Chloe go to Lyle House, a place for troubled teenagers with mental problems, in the hopes she can be helped. But then Chloe and the other teenage residents of Lyle House start finding out disturbing things about the house, and must hurry to find out what's really happening there...

I am a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong's, so I knew going into this that I was going to love the books and that they were going to be great, and I was right! As with her Women Of The Otherworld series, Kelley mixes a haunting story with great characters and some action, and pulls off yet another fantastic book. All of the characters are beautifully written, but my favourites are Chloe and Derek, I loved seeing their troubled relationship evolve, and I can't wait to see how it carries on in the next few books. The storyline was gripping, and I loved the twist at the end, which I didn't see coming at all, but makes for a very interesting lead in to the next book. I have to admit, I did find it almost impossible to put down and cannot wait to read the next two books. Would definitely recommend this to everyone, as there's a bit of everything in it, and it's just so well written!

1119677b.jpg

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

No. of pages: 357

Rating: 5/5

Series: Darkest Powers (Book 2)

Synopsis: If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I'm as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a group of people who call themselves The Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I’m a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control: I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.

I'm running for my life with three of my supernatural friends—a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch—and we have to find someone who can help us gain our freedom back before The Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.

Review: Continuing from where The Summoning left off, Chloe is trying to escape from The Edison Group. With people who are determined to hunt them down inching ever closer, and their strengthening powers to deal with, they all have a lot of trouble breathing down their necks...

Being that this was following on from the already established story of The Summoning meant that The Awakening was action packed from page one, which made it all that much more gripping. It was great to see how much Chloe grows up in this book, and you really see the development from scared little girl, to a young woman who is ready to face things she never thought imaginable. I'm still totally in love with Chloe and Derek, and so hope they get together in the final book! I really like the direction that the story is going in, and I love that it's just so easy to sink into and completely lose yourself in the story. As if you can't tell, I'm enjoying the series immensely and can't wait to see how it all ends!

6b4ea27a.jpg

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

No. of pages: 391

Series: Darkest Powers (Book 3)

Synopsis: Only two weeks ago, life was all too predictable. But that was before I saw my first ghost. Now, along with my supernatural friends Tori, Derek, and Simon, I’m on the run from the Edison Group, which genetically altered us as part of their sinister experiment. We’re hiding in a safe house that might not be as safe as it seems. We’ll be gone soon anyway, back to rescue those we’d left behind and to take out the Edison Group . . . or so we hope.

Review: In the last installation of the series, Chloe, Tori, Derek and Simon think they're safe and start to plan a return to save their friend and Chloe's aunt. But they're not as safe as they first assume, and alarm bells start ringing when the people that say they're protecting become very scared by their powers. So it falls to the four teens to yet again figure out a way to do it all by themselves...

Like the first two books, I absolutely shot through this one, they are just so hard to put down. The thing I love about Kelley Armstrong's books are that they're never predictable, and it's great to be surprised at every turn. The story didn't go how I imagined it to go at all in this book, but it was completely gripping none the less. There's also a lot of different things you get with this series, a bit of romance mixed with humour, action and mystery, and I think it's great that there's such variety. I love the characters of Chloe and Derek so much, and have from the first book, but it's great to see how both of the characters have grown and evolved over the series. I was really pleased that I got the ending I was hoping for as well, and just cannot rave enough about not only this series, but Armstrong too. Her Women Of The Otherworld is an amazing series also, so if you're a fan of these books, be sure to check those ones out as well, and vice versa.

Fantastic reviews Lexie, I am so pleased you enjoyed the Chloe Saunders series, I agree with everything you have said, there is so many twists and turns but it makes for fantastic reading, the more you found out about Chloe and the rest of the gang made for addictive reading :)

It sure does, I loved them :) I'll be posting them back to you next week if that's okay? x

Post them back when you can hen :D x

b2a57362.jpg

Beastly by Alex Flinn

No. of pages: 300

Rating: 2.5/5

Synopsis: I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

Review: Kyle Kingsbury is handsome, rich and has a perfect life as the king of his highschool. But then he decides to play a cruel prank on Kendra Hilferty, a new girl who Kyle deems fat and ugly. But it's Kyle that gets the surprise when Kendra turns out to be a witch, and puts a spell on Kyle, so that he will be as ugly on the outside as he is on the inside. Kyle must find true love within two years, or be forever stuck as the beast, but can he do it...?

I have to admit, I feel quite torn about this book. I did read it in one sitting, and it was a quick, easy read and it was entertaining enough that I wanted to carry on reading it, but there were quite a few things I disliked about the book. Firstly, it's cheesy, and I really mean cheesy, and I found myself cringing at sections of the book, because it was just too much. Secondly, the author kept dropping brand names, which annoyed me because it was just totally unnecessary, it just seemed like she was trying too hard to show how hip and cool she was. The whole book just seemed so unrealistic to me. I know it's meant to be based on a fairytale, but it's meant to be a modern retelling set in the real world, so it ended up just being very silly. For people wanting to read a Beauty & the Beast style story, I'd point them in the direction of Robin McKinley's Beauty, which I thought was a great story and far better than this.

Edited by lexiepiper

64e7b24b.jpg

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

No. of pages: 338

Synopsis: "Dear John", the letter read. And with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives changed forever. When Savannah Lynn Curtis comes into his life, John Tyree knows he is ready to turn over a new leaf. An angry rebel, he had enlisted in the army after high school, not knowing what else to do. Then, during a furlough, he meets Savannah, the girl of his dreams. The attraction is mutual and quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah vowing to wait for John while he finishes his tour of duty. What neither realises is that 9/11 will change everything and now John must choose between love and country. Now, when he finally returns to North Carolina, John will discover how love can transform us in ways we never could have imagined.

Review: John meets Savannah at the beach while on holiday leave from the army, and as they get to know each other, they fall deeply in love. Then John has to return to Germany where he's stationed, for the 18 months he still has left to serve. While apart both John and Savannah write letters to each other to pass the time while they're waiting. But then 9/11 happens, and John must make the toughest decision of all - does he re-up for another two years and risk losing Savannah, or does he abandon his country when he's most needed?

I wasn't sure whether to read this before watching the film, after all I really wanted to watch the film and wasn't so sure I wanted to read the book. But I fell in love with the story and immediately went and got a copy of the book and started it as soon as I could. There are three main characters in the book, John, Savannah and John's dad. I really felt I connected with all 3 characters in both the film and the book, they were all fantastically written and you really feel what they are feeling. I have to admit, I really adored John's dad, and some of the scenes with him made me cry, he is easily one of my favourite characters ever. The storyline in the book does differ a little in places from the film, the main change would be the ending, which was so sad in the book, and so I prefered the film ending, purely because it was the ending I was rooting for throughout. The writing in the book was beautiful though, as you'd expect from Sparks, who is known for his fantastic writing. You can just feel the love between John and Savannah spilling from the pages, and it's wonderfully uplifting to read. I could just rave forever about this book, it's definitely one that has touched me deeply, and that's something I never imagined I'd be taking away from this book. I'd recommend it to everyone, it's such a fantastic book, and the film is equally great.

b2a57362.jpg

Beastly by Alex Flinn

No. of pages: 300

Rating: 2.5/5

Synopsis: I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

Review: Kyle Kingsbury is handsome, rich and has a perfect life as the king of his highschool. But then he decides to play a cruel prank on Kendra Hilferty, a new girl who Kyle deems fat and ugly. But it's Kyle that gets the surprise when Kendra turns out to be a witch, and puts a spell on Kyle, so that he will be as ugly on the outside as he is on the inside. Kyle must find true love within two years, or be forever stuck as the beast, but can he do it...?

I have to admit, I feel quite torn about this book. I did read it in one sitting, and it was a quick, easy read and it was entertaining enough that I wanted to carry on reading it, but there were quite a few things I disliked about the book. Firstly, it's cheesy, and I really mean cheesy, and I found myself cringing at sections of the book, because it was just too much. Secondly, the author kept dropping brand names, which annoyed me because it was just totally unnecessary, it just seemed like she was trying too hard to show how hip and cool she was. The whole book just seemed so unrealistic to me. I know it's meant to be based on a fairytale, but it's meant to be a modern retelling set in the real world, so it ended up just being very silly. For people wanting to read a Beauty & the Beast style story, I'd point them in the direction of Robin McKinley's Beauty, which I thought was a great story and far better than this.

Great review, I agree with everything you said, I just finished 'Beastly' today. I much prefer 'Beauty' by Robin McKinley.

• 3 weeks later...

9976e3f9.jpg

The Short Second Life Of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

No. of pages: 178

Series: Twilight Saga (Novella)

Synopsis: Bree Tanner can barely remember life before she had uncannily powerful senses, superhuman reflexes and unstoppable physical strength. Life before she had a relentless thirst for blood... life before she became a vampire.

All Bree knows is that living with her fellow newborns has few certainties and even fewer rules: watch your back, don't draw attention to yourself and, above all, make it home by sunrise or die. What she doesn't know: her time as an immortal is quickly running out.

Then Bree finds an unexpected friend in Diego, a newborn just as curious as Bree about their mysterious creator, whom they know only as "her". As they come to realize that the newborns are pawns in a game larger than anything they could have imagines, Bree and Diego must choose sides and decide whom to trust. But when everything you know about vampires is based on a lie, how do you find the truth?

Review: Everyone who's read Eclipse knows how it ends for Bree Tanner, but this is the story of the week leading up to that moment. As you can imagine with over 20 violently hungry newborns all in close proximity, it's not an easy environment to be in, and even less so to survive in.

Having loved all the books in this series, I knew I was going to really enjoy something new, but I was surprised at how interesting I found it. Eclipse is my favourite book, so I know the 'Bree moment' very well and have to admit, I've never before thought about what led to that moment from her side, so when I heard this was going to be released, I was excited to have something unconnected to the Cullens, and to have a completely different perspective on vampire newborns. I loved Bree as a character, which I didn't expect to happen at all, and like most other people I also loved Diego and Fred. I did feel really frustrated with the whole Diego ending though, and I really wish that had been different. Hopefully we'll get another novella or two from Diego or Fred's perspective. I do wish that it had been longer, as 178 wasn't long enough, I wanted more the second I had finished. Can't wait for something new to this series, hopefully it won't be too long a wait!

35c40fc5.jpg

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

No. of pages: 250

Synopsis: 'Just listen,' Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel. I open my eyes wide now. I sit up as much as I can. And I listen. 'Stay,' he says. Everybody has to make choices. Some might break you. For seventeen-year-old Mia, surrounded by a wonderful family, friends and a gorgeous boyfriend decisions might seem tough, but they're all about a future full of music and love, a future that's brimming with hope. But life can change in an instant. A cold February morning ...a snowy road ...and suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone. Except one. As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all. Gripping, heartrending and ultimately life-affirming, "If I Stay" will make you appreciate all that you have, all that you've lost - and all that might be.

Review: Although Mia doesn't have a perfect life, things are going well for her - she has a great family that love each other, a boyfriend that adores her, and a future filled with her dream of playing cello professionally. But a single moment on a snowy road blasts her whole life apart, and before she knows it she's left with only one decision - to stay and fight or to go and leave it all behind.

I adored this book so much, I just could not put it down, and read it straight through in one sitting. It was easy to immediately empathise with Mia, who was a great, realistic character. The other characters were also really well written, each had a distinct personality and voice within the story which made it flow really well. I also liked the way the author flicked between the present and memories of the past so well, sometimes it can be a bit confusing being flicked around in time, but it was done well and really suited this story. Definitely would recommend this to fans of YA books, it's fantastically written and is a great and enjoyable story to read. I personally cannot wait for the sequel out next year!

26b13589.jpg

The Death And Life Of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

No. of pages: 269

Synopsis: The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud tells the haunting story of a young man who narrowly survives a terrible car wreck that kills his little brother. Years later, the brothers’ bond remains so strong that it transcends the normal boundaries separating life and death. Charlie St. Cloud lives in a snug New England fishing village. By day he tends the lawns and monuments of the ancient cemetery where his younger brother, Sam, is buried. Graced with an extraordinary gift after surviving the accident, he can still see, talk, and even play catch with Sam’s spirit. But townsfolk whisper that Charlie has never recovered from his loss.

Into his carefully ordered life comes Tess Carroll, a captivating, adventuresome woman training for a solo sailing trip around the globe. Fate steers her boat into a treacherous storm that blows her back to harbor, to a charged encounter with Charlie, and to a surprise more overwhelming than the violent sea itself. Charlie and Tess discover a beautiful and uncommon connection that leads to a race against time and a desperate choice between death and life, between the past and the future, between holding on and letting go.

Review: When Sam is 12, and Charlie 15, they are in a terrible car accident. Both die at the scene, but miraculously Charlie is brought back to life. But he's not the same Charlie anymore, now Charlie can see Sam's spirit, and he vows never to leave him. That is until he meets Tess, and Charlie realises what living is all about, but can he get past the spirits that haunt him?

This is a lovely book and perfect for a summer read. You'd imagine a book about death would be very depressing, but actually this book is uplifting, and shows more than anything how love affects us in every way. The story moves along at a nice pace, kind of in sync with Charlie's life in the book. I really liked all of the characters, and I especially loved the relationship between Charlie and Sam. My one disappointment with this book was that I guessed the big twist pretty early on in the book, but luckily it didn't ruin the enjoyment for me. I mainly picked this book up because I saw an advert for the movie being released this summer, and I'm so glad I did, it was an enjoyable read and I'm now looking forward to seeing how it adapts to film.

6e04af28.jpg

The Killing Place by Tess Gerritsen

No. of pages: 322

Series: Rizzoli/Isles (Book 8)

Synopsis: Something terrible has happened in the snowbound village of Kingdom Come, Wyoming. Twelve eerily identical houses stand dark and abandoned. Meals remain untouched on dining room tables. Cars are still parked in garages. The human occupants have vanished, seemingly into thin air. This is the unsettling place where Maura Isles finds herself trapped during a snowstorm. She has joined a group of friends on a drive to an isolated ski lodge, but when a wrong turn leaves her car stranded in deep snow, she stumbles down a private road into the valley of Kingdom Come, where she takes shelter - and disappears. Days later, Jane Rizzoli flies to Wyoming to search for her missing friend. A crashed vehicle has been found with four badly burned bodies still inside. The authorities assume that one of the women is Maura. But is it? Jane Rizzoli's search for the truth leads her to Kingdom Come, where a terrifying and gruesome discovery lies buried beneath the snow.

Review: While at a medical conference, Maura bumps into an old friend from medical school, and decides on the spur of the moment to accept his offer for a side trip to a cabin for a few days. But when a bad snow storm forces them off the road, they come across the village of Kingdom Come, which eerily is completely empty, even though there are plates of food still on the tables. When Jane hears that Maura has disappeared, she flies out to try and find her, but instead only finds a car with four bodies inside...is one of the them Maura?

I absolutely loved this book. I'm a huge fan of the Rizzoli/Isles series so I knew I would enjoy The Killing Place, but it surpassed even my expectations. This is the most haunting plot yet, and it was so gripping that I found it absolutely impossible to put it down. There were so many twists that I just didn't see coming and the ending had a great twist too. I enjoyed the fact that you really get to know Maura so much more in this book, and can start to understand her a bit more as a person, rather than it being mainly about Jane. Definitely my favourite book yet, and I'm already eagerly awaiting the next installment! The Killing Place can easily be read as a stand alone book, but I would highly recommend reading the whole series, purely because the books are just so fantastic!

63200575.jpg

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

No. of pages: 340

Synopsis: What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.

Review: February 12th is like any other day for Samantha Kingston, only she doesn't know that in fact it's her last day. But then she wakes up the next day, and it's February 12th again. As she relives the day she dies seven times, Samantha comes to learn a lot about the person she was, the person she wants to be and the moments she wished she had lived.

I find it hard to believe that this is a debut novel, as it's written so fantastically. I hated Sam at the beginning of the book, she's a complete and utter selfish bitch, treating people like cr*p just because she's one of the popular girls at school. But as the days go on and Sam's character starts to change, you start to feel sorry for her for all that she's lost, but in a way, you're glad she at least got the chance to relive those last few days, and have the experiences she didn't realise she was missing. I think most people could have some sort of connection to this book, as most people seem to have had a rubbish high school experience, and I know I for one did. I think this is definitely worth a read for anyone who enjoys reading YA, it's an enjoyable read, and really makes you think about what you would do if you had the chance to re-live a day over and over.