• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

452d48b8.jpg

The Harrowing by Alexandra Sokoloff

No. of pages: 280

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: Baird College's Mendenhall echoes with the footsteps of students heading home for Thanksgiving break and Robin Stone, who won't be going home, swears she can feel the creepy, hundred-year-old residence hall breathe a sigh of relief for its long-awaited solitude. As a massive storm approaches, four other lonely students reveal themselves to Robin: Patrick, a handsome jock; Lisa, a manipulative tease; Cain, a brooding musician; and Martin, a scholarly eccentric. Each has forsaken a long weekend at home for their own secret reasons. The five unlikely companions establish a tentative rapport, but they soon become aware of another presence disturbing the building's ominous silence. Are they the victims of an elaborate prank, or is the energy evidence of something genuine - something intent on using them for its own terrifying ends?

Review: Robin Stone thinks she's the only one staying at the dorms for Thanksgiving, but she soon finds out that there are 4 others that have stayed behind. It seems that Patrick, Lisa, Cain and Martin all have family problems too, so to keep themselves amused they start playing with a ouija board. But when things start happening, they start to wonder what it is exactly that they've unleashed...

Well the cover describes this as 'Scream meets The Exorcist', and whilst I wouldn't say it was like either of those films, or even particularly scary, it was an entertaining read. It doesn't start great, the first several pages about Robin are very 'emo', but once you get past that and into the group story it picks up massively. The characters are easily relatable, each going through a different family situation which is affecting their life. It's nothing you wouldn't imagine a typical ghost story to be, but it's a really easy read, it only took me one sitting to shoot through it. Definitely worth a look if you're a fan of a creepy ghost tale.

The Harrowing by Alexandra Sokoloff

No. of pages: 280

Synopsis: Baird College's Mendenhall echoes with the footsteps of students heading home for Thanksgiving break and Robin Stone, who won't be going home, swears she can feel the creepy, hundred-year-old residence hall breathe a sigh of relief for its long-awaited solitude. As a massive storm approaches, four other lonely students reveal themselves to Robin: Patrick, a handsome jock; Lisa, a manipulative tease; Cain, a brooding musician; and Martin, a scholarly eccentric. Each has forsaken a long weekend at home for their own secret reasons. The five unlikely companions establish a tentative rapport, but they soon become aware of another presence disturbing the building's ominous silence. Are they the victims of an elaborate prank, or is the energy evidence of something genuine - something intent on using them for its own terrifying ends?

Review: Robin Stone thinks she's the only one staying at the dorms for Thanksgiving, but she soon finds out that there are 4 others that have stayed behind. It seems that Patrick, Lisa, Cain and Martin all have family problems too, so to keep themselves amused they start playing with a ouija board. But when things start happening, they start to wonder what it is exactly that they've unleashed...

Well the cover describes this as 'Scream meets The Exorcist', and whilst I wouldn't say it was like either of those films, or even particularly scary, it was an entertaining read. It doesn't start great, the first several pages about Robin are very 'emo', but once you get past that and into the group story it picks up massively. The characters are easily relatable, each going through a different family situation which is affecting their life. It's nothing you wouldn't imagine a typical ghost story to be, but it's a really easy read, it only took me one sitting to shoot through it. Definitely worth a look if you're a fan of a creepy ghost tale.

I read this a few months back after having had it on my wishlist since it was published 4 years ago and was really disappointed. I think it took me 2 hours to read and it left me with the feeling that should have been more. I really want to believe that it was because it was her first novel (although surprisingly The Harrowing was nominated for Best First Novel in the Bram Stoker Awards) as the plotline for her new one, Book Of Shadows looks really good. I have The Price and The Unseen sat here too, I shall probably get round to reading them eventually :)

822b7469.jpg

Slumdog Millionaire (aka Q&A) by Vikas Swarup

No. of pages: 361

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis: Former tiffinboy Ram Mohammad Thomas has just got twelve questions correct on a TV quiz-show to win a cool one billion rupees. But he is brutally slung in prison on suspicion of cheating. Because how can a kid from the slums know who Shakespeare was, unless he is pulling a fast one. In the order of the questions on the show, Ram tells us which amazing adventures in his street-kid life gave him the answers. From orphanages to brothels, gangsters to beggar-masters, and into the homes of Bollywood's rich and famous, Ram's story is brimming with the chaotic comedy, heart-stopping tragedy and tear-inducing joyousness of modern India.

Review: When Ram wins the top prize - a billion rupees - on a tv quiz show, he is immediately arrested for cheating, for how could a poor boy from the slums of India possibly know the answers?! Through each chapter of the novel, Ram recounts each story behind how he knew the answer to the questions he was asked, ultimately making him the luckiest person alive.

I've been interested in reading this ever since the hype around the movie started, so I finally got around to buying it last month and decided to read it as part of my 'around the world' challenge. I'm so incredibly glad I finally picked it up, it was absolutely nothing how I imagined it to be. I had actually heard a lot of bad things about the book, and also heard that the movie was a lot better, so I went into it kind of thinking that it would be just an okay read, but I ended up really enjoying it. The writing is so vivid, that you can actually imagine the scene that's being created, and that's not always easy to do, especially with a foreign culture that you don't really know a whole lot about. I really liked the way the book was set out, with each chapter telling the story of how he knew the answer to that particular quiz question, although I found the author sometimes forgot to place the memory in time, so it was a little confusing as to how old Ram was supposed to be, but I managed to piece most of it together in the end. I loved the character of Ram, I thought that considering the awful life he'd had, he was just so kind and generous, especially as people were always trying to hurt him or take advantage of him. Slumdog Millionaire (originally named Q&A) is an unflinching look at the underbelly of India, and I think it's fantastically written, especially when you consider this is a debut novel. Recommended to people interested in the Indian culture, or just looking for an unusual, interesting story to read.

A great review on Q&A, Kelly, I'm really glad you decided to give the book a chance. I have no idea why some people haven't enjoyed the novel or have liked the movie better; I myself read the book first and absolutely loved it. The movie was a bit of a disappointment after that.

I agree with you on just about everything you said in your review, I too liked the way the book was structured: each chapter was dedicated to how he knew the answer to each question. I think it gave the novel nice structure and cohesiveness, especially when it was sometimes hard to follow where and when each of the stories took place, just like you said.

The Harrowing by Alexandra Sokoloff sounds interesting, I'm adding that one to my wishlist :D Good job Kelly, as always!

Thanks Frankie :) I hope you'll join in with this months Book Circle as it's about Q&A :D

I am sorely tempted, but I think I would need to read the book again for me to be able to discuss it. I've forgotten most of the events, and I can't remember

what was the real reason why the lead character took part in that TV contest.

. The names of the characters are all forgotten as well and everything... :tong: Not that the book didn't deserve a reread.... tempting!! :lol:

You shouldn't read this if you haven't already finished Tempted, as there are major spoilers as to the ending of that book in the synopsis.

02d1e0bc.jpg

Burned by P.C. & Kristin Cast

No. of pages: 323

Rating: 4.5/5

Series: House Of Night (Book 7)

Synopsis: Y

Thanks Kelly. I suspect I might be buying it this weekend, as the library still hasn't actually bought any copies, and when I reserved mine, there were already three other reservations - there are now eight. The system doesn't work on a first come first served basis, but when the books are purchased, they are assigned to a specific library in the area, and people who belong to that library and put in a reservation get the book first, and then once all those reservations have been done and assuming no more come in for the local library, then the books get sent onto other libraries. My library never seems to get the new books I want allocated to them, so I could be in for a long wait on this one, and might just succumb to the temptation of Waterstone's.

6889c39b.jpg

Jessica's Guide To Dating On The Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

No. of pages: 354

Synopsis: The undead can really screw up your senior year ...

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fianc

You shouldn't read this if you haven't already finished Tempted, as there are major spoilers as to the ending of that book in the synopsis.

02d1e0bc.jpg

Burned by P.C. & Kristin Cast

No. of pages: 323

Series: House Of Night (Book 7)

Synopsis: Y

I wonder if all librays do it like?

Have you looked on Green Metropolis?

It's definitely how it works in our area - I know because the book buyer for the region runs our book group, so she's explained it to me. Still, it usually doesn't bother me, just when there are books I'm desperate to read. It's just a case of weighing up whether buying a new hardback for an immediate read is worth it compared to a 90 pence reservation fee. I've bought Burned this weekend anyway, but for the others I've got reserved, I'm happy to wait.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Kelly :lol:

b302b71f.jpg

The Forest Of Hands & Teeth by Carrie Ryan

No. of pages: 308

Series: The Forest (Book 1)

Synopsis: In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But, slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future - between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

Review: Mary lives in a fenced in village in the middle of a forest, completely surrounded by the Unconsecrated (aka zombies), which force them to live in fear. But Mary cannot forget the stories of the ocean that her mother used to tell her when she was a little girl. So she becomes determined to find some answers, and as a result, sets a devestating sequence of events in motion...

I absolutely loved this book, I couldn't put it down until I had finished it because it was so good. I found it fast paced and gripping, and thought it had a great storyline. The writing itself was beautifully lyrical, almost haunting in some scenes. Mary and Travis were my favourite characters, although I truly feel that all of them were amazingly written. You really felt like you knew them and what made them tick as people. I loved the zombie aspect too, and that was primarily why I picked up the book, but it was so much more than I expected. Sure there are zombies, so it's tense and scary at times, but there's also the undercurrent of love and hope throughout. Such a fantastic book, I will recommend it high and low, especially to those who love a supernatural type book, but I think this is a book everyone could enjoy (unless you hate zombies, in which case you won't).

b302b71f.jpg

The Forest Of Hands & Teeth by Carrie Ryan

No. of pages: 308

Series: The Forest (Book 1)

Synopsis: In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But, slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future - between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

Review: Mary lives in a fenced in village in the middle of a forest, completely surrounded by the Unconsecrated (aka zombies), which force them to live in fear. But Mary cannot forget the stories of the ocean that her mother used to tell her when she was a little girl. So she becomes determined to find some answers, and as a result, sets a devestating sequence of events in motion...

I absolutely loved this book, I couldn't put it down until I had finished it because it was so good. I found it fast paced and gripping, and thought it had a great storyline. The writing itself was beautifully lyrical, almost haunting in some scenes. Mary and Travis were my favourite characters, although I truly feel that all of them were amazingly written. You really felt like you knew them and what made them tick as people. I loved the zombie aspect too, and that was primarily why I picked up the book, but it was so much more than I expected. Sure there are zombies, so it's tense and scary at times, but there's also the undercurrent of love and hope throughout. Such a fantastic book, I will recommend it high and low, especially to those who love a supernatural type book, but I think this is a book everyone could enjoy (unless you hate zombies, in which case you won't).

Great review Lexie, I enjoyed it too, I agree wholeheartedly about how lyrical the writing was, and I think the way Carrie Ryan described the woods was excellent, you could see how dark and cold it was, excellent writing, I am going to order the sequel :)

452d399f.jpg

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

No. of pages: 404

Series: The Forest (Book 2)

Synopsis: Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

Review: Gabry has grown up within the safety of one of the last cities that's not infected with the Unconsecrated/Mudo/zombies. Living with her mother Mary in the lighthouse, she's always felt secure and loved. But then one night of silly risks ends all of that and Gabry suddenly has to grow up over night. Along the way she finds out a lot of things she never could have imagined, and she finally discovers the truth about the forest of hands and teeth...

Like the first book The Forest Of Hands & Teeth, I read this in one sitting because I just couldn't put it down. The story in this book is set some 20 years after The Forest Of Hands & Teeth, and centres around Mary's daughter Gabry, who has grown up oblivious to what has happened to her mother in the past. As a result, she's quite naive at the beginning of the book, in a way that Mary never was. Because of this though, I felt Gabry had more of a journey realising how sheltered she's been all these years and growing up from that, where as Mary was always very realistic and hardened to the world of the Unconsecrated/Mudo/zombies. I did really enjoy the storyline of The Dead-Tossed Waves, and I loved the character of Elias, who I was rooting for throughout. I didn't quite like the main character of Gabry as much as I liked Mary though, and that's why I've marked my rating down to 4.5, although that's just a personal preference, both books are equally fantastic in all other ways. If you liked the first book, then you'll love this sequel, and if you haven't read The Forest Of Hands & Teeth, I highly recommend you do! It's a fantastic series, and the only problem is now, the next book isn't released until spring 2011, and that's too long a wait!

Hope you enjoy it hun :) x

I think I will hen, I really enjoyed 'The Forest of Hands and Teeth' :)