Kelly's Reading 2010

lexiepiper

1883fdfc.jpg

Love, Aubrey by Suzanne Fleur

No. of pages: 262

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: "I had everything I needed to run a household: a house, food, and a new family. From now on it would just be me and Sammy–the two of us, and no one else."

A tragic accident has turned eleven-year-old Aubrey’s world upside down. Starting a new life all alone, Aubrey has everything she thinks she needs: SpaghettiOs and Sammy, her new pet fish. She cannot talk about what happened to her. Writing letters is the only thing that feels right to Aubrey, even if no one ever reads them.

With the aid of her loving grandmother and new friends, Aubrey learns that she is not alone, and gradually, she finds the words to express feelings that once seemed impossible to describe. The healing powers of friendship, love, and memory help Aubrey take her first steps toward the future.

Review: After a terrible accident, eleven year old Aubrey loses her dad and her younger sister, so when one morning she wakes up and her mum has disappeared, she tries to convince herself she'll be back soon. But she doesn't come back, and so Aubrey tries to fend for herself to protect her mum so she won't get into trouble. Aubrey's gran soon realises something is wrong though, and when she arrives to find Aubrey alone, she decides to take Aubrey back to Vermont. There Aubrey is finally able to come to terms with all that's happened to her.

Straight off the bat, I have to warn that this book isso sad. Aubrey is only eleven, and already has had a massive amount of heartache in her life, and she's trying to pretend it didn't happen as a way to cope. As the book progresses, you follow Aubrey's journey first to acceptance, then past that as she tries to heal and find her place in the world after all that's happened to her and her family. The characters were great, I loved all of the main three - Aubrey, Aubrey's gran and Bridget, the friend she makes in Vermont. They all seemed very realistic, and I could understand how Aubrey wanted to protect her mum more than anything, even after she just abandoned her. I loved the ending, it ended how I hoped it would, and it was really quite touching. Although aimed for a younger YA audience, older kids and adults can definitely still enjoy it, and I would recommend it even though it's so bittersweet.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18dfb00e.jpg

Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult

No. of pages: 436

Synopsis: A woman wakes to find herself in a graveyard, hurt and bleeding, her memory wiped clean. She doesn't know what she's doing there - or even who she is. She is rescued by a police officer, himself a newcomer to Los Angeles. After days of waiting, she is taken by complete surprise when she is finally identified by Alex Rivers, Hollywood's biggest movie star - and her husband.

Cassie is dazzled and bewildered by the fairytale in which she suddenly finds herself. But everything is not quite right, and there is something dark and disturbing behind this glamorous facade. It is only as her memory gradually returns that her picture perfect life comes crumbling down, and Cassie is faced with choices she never dreamed she would have to make.

Review: When Cassie wakes up cold and alone in a graveyard, she realises that not only does she not know how she got there, but she doesn't even know her own name. Luckily as she stumbles out on to the street, she is found by Will Flying Horse, a LAPD officer, who takes her in until someone recognises her. Then her husband comes forward to claim her, and it's none other than Alex Rivers, the biggest actor in Hollywood. So as Cassie steps into a fairytale life, she can't imagine how she ever came to have a famous husband and a mansion for a home. But then bit by bit, Cassie starts to realise things aren't quite as they seem, and her fantasy life isn't quite the fairytale she thought...

The thing I always enjoy about Picoult's novels is that she loves to tackle hard subjects, but she makes them so human in that there's no black and white, but only people who struggle to make hard choices. I did enjoy the controversial topic in this book, and also thought the choices Cassie made echoed the choices that so many women make every day, and so that made it seem very realistic. I did find the story dragged a bit in the middle, when it was flashing back to when Cassie and Alex first got together, but once I got passed that bit, the rest of the book went at a decent pace. I loved the Native American aspect to the tale, and found it all very interesting learning about the tribal rituals and such. I have to admit Will was my favourite character, he just seemed such a nice and devoted guy and I'm so glad it all ended the way I was hoping all along. All in all, this is well worth a read, and I do recommend it.

715c26c1.jpg

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

No. of pages: 348

Rating: 5/5

Series: The Morganville Vampires (Book 1)

Synopsis: It's a small college town filled with quirky characters. But when the sun goes down, the bad comes out. Because in Morganville, there is an evil that lurks in the darkest shadows - one that will spill out into the bright light of day.

Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. The popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks on the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. And Claire really doesn't have the right connections - to the undead who run the town.

When Claire heads off campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Hew new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...

Review: After a particularly nasty attack from the 'popular' girls in her dorm, sixteen year old Claire decides it's time to look for somewhere off campus to stay, even if she promised her parents she would stay in the dorm. As she meets the occupants of Glass House, who all seem pretty weird to straight edged Claire, she considers that maybe it's just time to pack up and go back home to her parents. But overnight Claire learns things about Morganville that mean not only can she not go out at night, but she also cannot leave now she knows so much about the undead rulers of the town...

I went in to these books thinking they would just be of the light vampire entertainment type that has become popular since Twilight. Not that I don't enjoy Twilight, but I just thought it would be of the same type of story, where the vampires are lovely and to be adored etc. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that in this series, vampires are actually bad guys, and will drain you in a second if you turn your back. It's nice to have something a bit different, and not only that, but the story is interesting and they're well written. Claire is believable as the slightly nerdy, genius kid that has managed to get into uni two years early, but is bullied for being that exact person. The other cast of characters are great too - Eve, the Goth girl, Shane, the dead beat, and Michael, the mysterious owner of the house, are all wary at having a sixteen year old in the house when they're all eighteen, not to mention they all know the truth about Morganville and Claire doesn't when this book starts. Definitely recommended to fans of supernatural YA books, this is a great beginning to what I hope will be a fantastic series.

Spoiler covered for those interested in reading the series :friends0:

3435d824.jpg

The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine

No. of pages: 368

Series: The Morganville Vampires (Book 2)

Synopsis: Claire Danvers has her share of challenges - like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains, dealing with the homicidal girls in her down, and above all, finding out that her college town is overrun with vampires.

On the up side, she has a great roommate (who tends to disappear at sun up) and a new boyfriend named Shane... whose vampire-hunting dad has called in backup: cycle punks who like the idea of killing just about anything.

Now a fraternity is throwing its annual Dead Girls' Dance and - surprise! - Claire and her equally outcast best friend, Eve, have been invited. When they find out why, all hell is going to break loose. Because this time both the living and the dead are coming out - and everybody's hungry for blood.

Review: Now an official resident of Glass House, Claire has settled in well, and is even starting to think she could have a special connection with Shane. But then Shane's very angry biker dad turns up, with a few of his buddies, and they are seeking revenge against the vampires of Morganville. As Shane becomes torn between his father and his housemates, Claire and Eve must rush to save him, before it all becomes deadly...

The Dead Girls' Dance carries on from the cliff hanger at the end of Glass Houses, and leave you hanging it does...for a while anyway, before you find out what has happened as a result.I liked that in this book you get to see more development of the characters, both individually, and all of them coming together as a friendship group. Sam was also a great new addition to the book, and I'm definitely hoping to see more of him in the future. The plot in this book was great too, it started from the very first page and kept me gripped right until the end. There were also a couple of great twists that I did not see coming at all, and so I can't wait to see how they pan out in future books.

I got Glass Houses as part of a buy one get one free at Waterstone's today, Kelly, so glad to see you liked it so much. The only reason I bought it was because I'd read all the others in the offer! I wasn't expecting much out of it, but now I'm really looking forward to it :friends0:

Hope you enjoy it Chesil! :( And I hope you do too Abby if you decide to get it :(

I hope so to, as I couldn't resist the offer in The Works, so I've bought books 2-8 without actually having read the first one yet! :roll: This place is bad for my bank balance :lol:

I hope so to, as I couldn't resist the offer in The Works, so I've bought books 2-8 without actually having read the first one yet! :roll: This place is bad for my bank balance :lol:

:( I bought 1-8 not really knowing much about them too, but at that price who can really resist?!

• 4 weeks later...

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater -

linger.jpg

No. of pages: 416

Rating: 4.5/5

Series: The Wolves Of Mercy Falls (Book 2)

Synopsis: It's about after. What happens after you discover there are werewolves in the wood, after you've fallen in love for the first time, after you've lost what you think you can't live without, after you've become someone you can't live with.

Sam, who spent most of his life as a werewolf, has undergone an unlikely cure and no longer transitions between fur and skin as the temperature changes from cold to hot. This should be a happy time for Sam and true-love Grace, but just as he begins to trust his new human life, Grace feels herself slipping away. Sam's focus is split between worry for Grace and his role as caretaker of the werewolf pack, which for the first time in years includes new members.

Review: Grace finally has what she's always dreamed of - Sam, in human form. But of course, love never runs smoothly, and the couple start coming across many obstacles to their life together. Isabel is trying to recover from the death of her brother when she meets Cole, and together they find a way to discover the meaning of truly living.

I absolutely adored Shiver, which has been one of my favourite reads in recent history, so although I was massively looking forward to Linger, I was also a bit apprehensive about where the story would go. I have to admit, I never imagined before I started reading it that it would end the way it did, that was a complete surprise, but it's a plot point I guessed pretty early on when reading it. I loved that Isabel and Cole were narrators, Isabel is a great character, and I never imagined that I would enjoy reading her chapters as much as I did. Cole grew on me as the book progressed and we learned more about him. Sam is... well he's Sam, and I can honestly say I have a serious crush on that boy! Sam and Grace are such a perfect couple though and so I can't wait to read the final book in the trilogy to see how it all ends, because this is such a fantastic series, with great, lovable characters. I would definitely recommend Shiver and Linger both!

Dark Goddess by Sarwat Chadda -

darkgoddess.jpg

No. of pages: 371

Series: Billi SanGreal (Book 2)

Synopsis: Billi SanGreal is a Knight Templar and has thrown herself utterly into their brutal regime, shutting herself off from everyone and everything. But when Billi finds herself at the heart of a savage werewolf attack, she knows their target – a young girl – must be rescued at all costs. For this is no ordinary girl. Vasalisa is an avatar with an uncontrollable force within – and it’s not just the werewolves who want her. The Dark Goddess wants to sacrifice Vasalisa and use her powers to unleash unimaginable catastrophes and devastation. Can Billi protect Vasalisa from the ancient goddess – and at the same time stop her from destroying the world?

Review: Billi SanGreal is a member of The Knights Templar, and fights to rid the world of the Unholy. So when Billi saves a young girl from werewolves, she's pleased that she saved a life. But then she finds out that the werewolves will stop at nothing to get Vasalisa, as their Goddess wants her desperately. It falls to Billi to protect Vasalisa, or risk killing all of mankind...

I hadn't heard of this series, or this author when I was sent this book for review, but the fact it was about The Knights Templar piqued my interest, and I was excited to read something new about them. Another thing that caught my attention was the cover. I know they say never to judge a book by its cover, but this is the exception where you absolutely must judge it by its cover! It's gorgeous, and ties in to the book perfectly, it's definitely one of the best covers I've ever seen for a book. The story itself was gripping from the offset, I really enjoyed reading about the chase across Russia, and found everything was so fantastically described that it almost felt like I was running through the freezing snow with Billi myself. I was also really surprised to find how deeply the author had researched, and it clearly shone through during the story, especially when it came to the tales about Baba Yaga. This was a great read, and I will definitely be going back and reading the first book Devil's Kiss, and I really hope there's more to come from Billi SanGreal.

Waking The Witch by Kelley Armstrong -

wakingthewitch.jpg

No. of pages: 325

Series: Women Of The Otherworld (Book 11)

Synopsis: The orphaned daughter of a sorcerer and a half-demon, Savannah is a terrifyingly powerful young witch who has never been able to resist the chance to throw her magical weight around. But at 21 she knows she needs to grow up and prove to her guardians, Paige and Lucas, that she can be a responsible member of their supernatural detective agency. So she jumps at the chance to fly solo, investigating the mysterious deaths of three young women in a nearby factory town as a favor to one of the agency's associates. At first glance, the murders look garden-variety human, but on closer inspection signs point to otherworldly stakes.

Review: Paige and Lucas have gone on holiday, so when someone comes to the agency with a job, Savannah decides to take it on alone to prove she's ready to do it. But as she delves into the secrets in the small town where three women have been killed, Savannah uncovers a lot more than she bargained for, and it takes everything she has to find the killer...

First off, I have to say, I absolutely love this series, and I always eagerly await new installments, however, my favourite characters are the wolves, and my least favourite are the witches. That's not to say I don't enjoy the books with the witches in, because I do, but there's just something about the characters I don't connect with so much. So I was a little apprehensive about reading Waking The Witch, because not only was it the witches, but it was from a new perspective too, so I wasn't sure I was going to like it as much as I did Frostbitten, which I absolutely loved. However, I was so pleased to find I really enjoyed Waking The Witch, and I could barely put it down once I started it. Savannah has fast become one of my favourite women, and I cannot wait for the next book which is also from her point of view. It was nice to see the transition from Savannah being Paige's young ward, to Savannah being a woman in her own right, capable of looking after herself. The plot was great as well, I loved all the little twists and turns, although I did suspect about half way through who the killer was, and I was kind of right, but again there was a great twist that I wasn't expecting and that's why I love these books. I'd definitely recommend this series, it's one of the best I've read about supernaturals, and Kelley Armstrong is a fantastic writer.

And now I'm about to start Fear The Worst by Linwood Barclay, which I'm really looking forward too :)

These sound great, Kelly. I'll have to make a note of them for future books to read!

Have you ever read any Christopher Fowler novels or short stories? I think you, in particular, would enjoy them immensely. I hope you're very well.

MM xx

Great review Kelly, I am adding 'Waking the Witch' to my wish list and I am so pleased you enjoyed 'Linger' as so many of us have :)

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater -

linger.jpg

Dark Goddess by Sarwat Chadda -

darkgoddess.jpg

No. of pages: 371

Series: Billi SanGreal (Book 2)

I must must must get Linger for Xmas, Gah!!!!!

That Bill SanGreal series sounds utterly fascinating! Sounds right up my street! Put the first one on my wishlist!

Edited by catwoman

We are on the same wavelength Kelly! I loved Linger just like you, and in the Women of the Otherworld stories, the wolves are my favourites, but I really enjoyed Savannah's story too. Glad to hear you enjoyed them both as much as I did :smile2:

Thank you :) I'm glad you enjoyed them both too!

These sound great, Kelly. I'll have to make a note of them for future books to read!

Have you ever read any Christopher Fowler novels or short stories? I think you, in particular, would enjoy them immensely. I hope you're very well.

MM xx

I haven't read anything by him, is there something in particular you'd recommend? :) I am doing pretty well thank you, I hope you are too!

Oh I am definitely going to add Waking the Witch to my next order! :exc:

Great reviews Kelly :D

Thanks Charm, you will love Waking The Witch! :)

Great review Kelly, I am adding 'Waking the Witch' to my wish list and I am so pleased you enjoyed 'Linger' as so many of us have :)

Thanks Paula, I hope you enjoy it! :)

I must must must get Linger for Xmas, Gah!!!!!

That Bill SanGreal series sounds utterly fascinating! Sounds right up my street! Put the first one on my wishlist!

I hope you enjoy them! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Fear The Worst by Linwood Barclay

feartheworst.jpg

No. of pages: 471

Synopsis: The worst day of Tim Blake's life started out with him making breakfast for his seventeen-year-old daughter Sydney. Syd was staying with him while she worked a summer job and Tim hoped this quality father-daughter time would somehow help her deal with his divorce. When she didn't arrive home at her usual time, he thought she'd probably gone to the mall to hang with her friends. When she didn't answer her phone he began to worry. When she didn't come home at all, he began to panic. And when the people at the motel said they had no Sydney Blake working there, and never had, he began to see his life going into freefall. If she hadn't been working at the motel every day, what had she been doing? Something she couldn't - or wouldn't - tell her own father about?

Review: Tim Blake's 17 year old daughter Sydney is staying with him for the summer, that is until she disappears without a trace. When Tim is told she didn't work at the place he thought she did, he has to wonder if he knew his daughter at all...

This is my personal favourite by this author so far, although I do still think some aspects of his stories are always a little too far fetched, but they are still mostly enjoyable and gripping. Fear The Worst was a little slow to get started, but once it did, it didn't stop until the last page. Tim Blake was a great character, I really liked him and was rooting for him the whole way through, he was very realistic in that he had flaws, but you could see that he really loved his daughter. I do wish the book had gone on for another chapter past the ending, to see how things wrapped up, I think that would have made it a more rounded story. Enjoyable for a quick thriller that keeps you glued to the pages, would recommend to fans of his other novels.

The Other Countess by Eve Edwards

othercountess.jpg

No. of pages: 333

Rating: 3.5/5

Series: Tudor Historical Romance (Book 1)

Synopsis: It's 1582 and eighteen-year-old Will Lacey's family is in trouble. After years of wasteful spending, his late father has run Lacey Hall to near ruin. ...more It's 1582 and eighteen-year-old Will Lacey's family is in trouble. After years of wasteful spending, his late father has run Lacey Hall to near ruin. Tasked with marrying his family back into fortune, the new Earl of Dorset is all set for a season at court to woo not just the Queen but potential brides with his jousting skills. But when Ellie – a strong-willed girl with nothing to her name but a worthless Spanish title – catches Will's eye, he faces a bigger battle than he could ever have anticipated.

Review: Will Lacey's father drove the family to the brink of poverty before his death, so now it lies upon Will's shoulders to bring his family back to wealth by marrying a rich lady. So Will goes to the Queen's court, where he sets about trying to find a wife, but there he bumps into Ellie, a gorgeous witty girl that he's instantly attracted to. But Ellie has nothing but her title, being that her father has spent every penny of their fortune, so it's impossible for them to be together, isn't it...?

Historical fiction is not a genre I tend to read that often as I'm not a huge fan of the 'olden days' way of talking. So that coupled with a slow beginning of The Other Countess meant it took me a little while to get into the book, but once it got past the Queen and court section, I was pretty much gripped by the story of Will and Ellie. They were both great characters to read, and I was rooting for them all along, even though I also loved Jane, and was kind of torn about who I wanted Will to end up with. The story flicks between the perspectives of Will, Ellie and Jane, so you get to see all different levels of living within that time which I found really interesting, and I thought it was all so fantastically written. I'm really looking forward to the second book in the series The Queen's Lady, which will be about Jane, so I will definitely be picking a copy up! Definitely recommended to fans of period books, or just a good old romance story.

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

chosenone.jpg

No. of pages: 213

Synopsis: Thirteen-year-old Kyra has grown up in her isolated community without ever questioning the fact that her father has three wives and she has twenty brothers and sisters; without ever questioning the strict rules imposed by 'the Prophet' who leads them. But now Kyra has started keeping secrets. She reads books that are forbidden and sneaks away to meet Joshua, the boy she hopes to choose for herself, instead of having a husband chosen for her. Kyra knows that it's only a matter of time before her two secret loves are discovered. And when the Prophet decrees that she is to become the seventh wife of her sixty-year-old uncle, Kyra is forced to make a desperate choice. But saving herself means endangering everyone she's ever cared for. How far should she go for freedom?

Review: Kyra is thirteen, and has grown up in a polygamist sect where she has 3 mothers and 20 siblings. This is the norm on the compound where Kyra lives, but Kyra has secrets. Not only is she in love with a boy she is forbidden to have even noticed, she has also been sneaking off to get books, but any book other than the bible is not allowed. So when the Prophet tells Kyra she has been chosen to be the seventh wife to her 60 year old uncle, she is horrified and refuses. But on the compound, the Prophet's word is law...

This is one of those books that is hard to review, after all how can you say you enjoyed a book about a young girl being forced to marry her old uncle? It is after all, revolting. However, enjoy this book I did, Kyra was a strong and fiesty young woman, just born in to the wrong circumstances and I was drawn into her story immediately. It really opened my eyes to the kind of control that these people are under, how the 'prophet' rules everything. One thing that did make me think for a second was Kyra's dad. You imagine that the men in these places are just perverts who are too greedy to have just one woman, yet Kyra's dad truly loved all of his wives and children, and really did believe this was the only way in to heaven. The sad thing is though, that although this particular story is fiction, there are so many girls out there for who this kind of thing is reality, and it's almost unbelievable. It's a short book at just over 200 pages, but don't let that put you off, there is so much packed in to this story. It's definitely a book I would recommend, although it's not an easy read for those who are sensitive.