Kelly's Reading 2010

lexiepiper

That sounds quite good - I'm tempted to reserve it at the library, but I've already got six reservations in, and a big TBR pile, so maybe I should hold off for a while on that :D

Snap. I have 8 books that I have got to read from the library. 6 came in yesterday! Once I have got through them and I have read at least one from my TBR pile I will most certainly reserve it!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5d4f4399.jpg

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched The World by Vicki Myron

No. of pages: 304

Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis: Dewey's story starts in the worst possible way. Only a few weeks old, on the coldest night of the year, he was stuffed into the returned book slot at the Spencer Public Library. He was found the next morning by library director, Vicki Myron, a single mother who had survived a lot herself. Dewey won her heart, and the hearts of the staff, by pulling himself up and hobbling on frostbitten feet to nudge each of them in a gesture of thanks and love. For the next nineteen years, he never stopped charming the people of Spencer with his enthusiasm, warmth, humility, (for a cat) and, above all, his sixth sense about who needed him most.

As his fame grew from town to town, then state to state, and finally, amazingly, worldwide, Dewey became more than just a friend; he became a source of pride for an extraordinary Heartland farming town pulling its way slowly back from the greatest crisis in its long history.

Review: When Vicki Myron goes to work one freezing January morning, the last thing she expects to find is a tiny kitten in the overnight returns box of the library she works in. However, that is exactly what she found, and there in started the story of Dewey Readmore Books, the library cat of Spencer, Iowa. The book chronicles the 19 years Dewey spent living in the library, and also the life of Vicki Myron, the author of the book.

A sweet, funny book about a crazy cat who loves being the object of so much love and attention. Starting with finding Dewey in the library overnight drop off box, the book tells about how the library board allowed Dewey to remain in the library as a library cat, and how Dewey became famous the world over because of his story. Definitely an enjoyable read, although I don't really understand why the author felt she needed to write about her childhood and family problems, when the book is marketed as being a book about just Dewey. I just felt it was unnecessary and took away from the main story that was trying to be told, however, it is very clear that Vicki Myron adored Dewey. Some of the hijinks that are written about did make me laugh aloud, he seemed a very happy cheeky little cat, and this is a lovely summary of his life. Recommended to fans of cats, or animals in general, and to people who enjoyed Marley and Me.

Great review, Lexie! :D I've heard of this cat for years and have always meant to pick the book up. I haven't been able to do Marley & Me, since I start to get weepy too even at the sound of it, so I'm glad to hear this one's not as sad.

c9fac19b.jpg

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

No. of pages: 434

Rating: 5/5

Series: The Wolves Of Mercy Falls (Book 1)

Synopsis: For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf - her wolf - is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human - or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

Review: Grace loves to look into the woods behind her house and watch the pack of wolves that live there during the winter, in particular there's one wolf with yellow eyes who she's always been strangely attracted to. But she always misses them during the long summer months when they seem to go somewhere else, that is until she sees a human boy with those strange yellow eyes, and realises there's more to the wolves in the woods than she thought...

I really enjoyed Shiver, I thought it was really well written and the storyline was great. It's kinda like what Twilight's Bella and Jacob would have been if there was never an Edward. Grace and Sam are interesting and well rounded characters, and I love how their relationship evolves over the length of the book, and I also really liked Stiefvater's take on werewolves, how their bodies automatically change with the cold rather than by the moon or by will. The ending was perfect for the story I felt, and I truly can't wait until Linger is released later this year. For me, this was one of the most enjoyable YA books I've ever read. Definitely one for fans of werewolf stories, or YA supernatural fiction.

It's kinda like what Twilight's Bella and Jacob would have been if there was never an Edward.
Would the non-Twilight fan:lurker: enjoy this, do you think? The story sounds really interesting plus (admittedly) I'm planning to do some werewolf research as there's werewolves in my book and it's dawned on me that I've never really read a werevolf novel :).

2bd63dd1.jpg

Girl Missing by Tess Gerritsen

No. of pages: 271

Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis: The first body is a mystery. She's young. She's beautiful. And her corpse, laid out in the office of Boston medical examiner Kat Novak, betrays no secrets - except for a notebook clutched in one stiff hand, seven numbers scrawled inside. The next body is a warning. When a second victim is discovered, Kat begins to fear that a serial killer is stalking the city streets: a shadowy madman without mercy or apparent motive. The police are sceptical. The mayor won't listen. And Kat's chief suspect is one of the city's most prominent citizens. The final body...might be hers. With the death toll rising, Kat races to expose a deadly conspiracy and the brutal killer at its heart - a killer who will stalk her from the dangerous streets of the inner city to the corridors of power. Because he's closer than she ever dreamt. And every move she makes could be her very last.

Review: People start dying from overdosing on a new drug, one that's never been seen before. When Kat tries to tell the police and the mayor, she gets brushed off. So she decides to get to the bottom of it herself, but will she get out of it alive?

Before writing thrillers, Tess Gerritsen used to write romantic thrillers, heavy on the romance. Girl Missing is the first book in where she tries to make the transition to mainly thriller and not so much romance. Whilst not as good as her more recent books, there is a noticeable difference between this book and her more romantic type books. I liked the characters of Kat and Adam, and the thriller side of the plot was pretty good, gripping enough that I read it in one sitting, although it was a tad predictable. Worth a read I think if you're a fan of Gerritsen's or of romantic thrillers.

f7481b59.jpg

The Taking by Dean Koontz

No. of pages: 410

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: On the morning that marks the end of the world they have known, Molly and Neil Sloan awaken to the drumbeat of rain on their roof. A luminous silvery downpour is drenching their small Californian mountain town. It has haunted their sleep, invaded their dreams, and now, in the moody purple dawn, the young couple cannot shake the sense of something terribly wrong.

As the hours pass, Molly and Neil listen to disturbing news of extreme weather phenomena across the globe. By nightfall, their little town loses all contact with the outside world. A thick fog transforms the once-friendly village into a ghostly labyrinth. And soon the Sloans and their neighbors will be forced to draw on reserves of courage and humanity they never knew they had. For within the misty gloom they will encounter something that reveals in a shattering instant what is happening to their world...

Review: Waking up to a loud luminescent rain, Molly Sloan knows something is about to happen, but even she cannot imagine the horror that is coming. Creatures and beings from another world roam the streets filled with a heavy fog, while Molly and her husband Neil try to figure out how to survive...

This was the first science fiction type book that I've read, so I wasn't really sure what to expect or if I'd enjoy it at all, but I actually really liked the plot which I found a little surprising, as I didn't think this was my kind of 'thing'. The story was really well written, with loads of great descriptions and it was so creepy in places. Molly and Neil were great characters, realistically written and believeable. My one major dislike was the ending, I really didn't like the way it was explained away, and I thought it was completely unnecessary, that bit could have been left out and it would have much better. But still was an enjoyable read, and would recommend to people who like a creepy book, or are into science fiction.

I agree with you about the ending - I think it let the book down, really. Fortunately, I find Koontz has more 'hits' with me than 'misses', so I still go and buy everything that comes out of his. Good review, Kelly. :lol:

10d40a14.jpg

The Strange Power by L.J. Smith

No. of pages: 250

Rating: 4/5

Series: Dark Visions (Book 1)

Synopsis: Kaitlyn Fairchild's prophetic drawings frighten her, but she is offered a scholarship to the Zetes Institute with four other psychically gifted students that seems like a new beginning--until they discover an experiment that can destroy them all.

Review: Kaitlyn has always been an outcast because of the things she can predict with her drawings. So when she is offered a place at the Zetes Institute to learn to control her power, she's eager to go. There she meets 4 other teenagers with similar mental powers and together they start their testing. But it soon becomes clear that things are not as they seem, and the 5 teens must battle to find the truth...

It didn't take me long to read this at all, because it's such an easy read. The storyline is interesting and gripping enough to keep the story flowing nicely. Although there are quite a few characters to get to know, it's pretty easy because each has their own distinct personality, so they're easy to distinguish between. Enjoyable overall, a nice easy read, well written, with some fun characters. Something for fans of YA books, or books with a supernatural theme.

Some good reviews there Kelly. :friends0: I'm adding The Strange Power to my wishlist and I already have The Taking on the Treacherous TBR, so I'll bare your thoughts in mind. :censored: