Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

... *bottom lip begins to quiver* surely though there is a loophole that states we can add all read non-fiction to the Books Read count?

Oh surely honey!! Eventhough I don't add my non-fiction books in the TBR pile, I always add them in the books read pile when I've read them. :roll: I'm not quite sure why I do the latter and not the former though :) But rest assured dear BookJumper!

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post something similar, Giulia. On my reading thread, I have a separate post for non-fiction books that I have included on my TBR pile, but this is nowhere near a comprehensive list of my TBR non-fiction books. I just couldn't bear to put them all on the pile because it would just be too depressing. But then I didn't want to take them all off, because I would probably be discouraged from ever reading them if I knew they wouldn't officially come off my TBR pile. So I've been quite inconsistent. :)

Oh, the never-ending dilemmas of a book-lover! :roll:

I'm really hoping to have a reading spree (if that makes any sense) this weekend and finish GwtW. Not that I'm bored with it, it's absolutely wonderful, but I do want to get into other books as well and I don't want to do that when I'm still reading GwtW.

Wow, I can't believe that Kylie has finished and you are on your way to being done soon! Good for you Frankie, you are just devouring books so far this year! :roll:

Oh surely honey!! Eventhough I don't add my non-fiction books in the TBR pile, I always add them in the books read pile when I've read them. I'm not quite sure why I do the latter and not the former though. But rest assured dear BookJumper!
*phew* thank goodness for that :) you've set a poor soul to rest :roll:.

I'm pretty much as idiosyncratic as you are Kylie, for instance I have most of my books on writing on Mount TBR, though not those which are a series of exercises; also none of my books on Shakespeare are on Mount TBR 'cos they are mainly for dipping into - though I would add them to the Books Read pile should I ever go insane and decide to read them cover to cover!

I got home today and found these books in the mail (ordered a week ago from play.com):

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning: Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems (Rory)

- Peter James: Dead Simple

- Rainer Maria Rilke: Letters to a Young Poet (Rory)

- William Shakespeare: Complete Sonnets (Rory)

- Kate Summerscale: The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, or the Murder at Road Hill House

- Amy Tan: The Opposite of Fate (Rory)

Then I went to the library to borrow Interlunar by Margaret Atwood and noticed these in the library clearance sale, each book for 20 cents only! I had to get them as they were only 1,40e, and the money goes to the library :(:D

- Kurt Vonnegut: Deadeye Dick

- Kurt Vonnegut: Timequake

- Jari Tervo: Pyhiesi yhteyteen

- Gloria Naylor: The Women of Brewster Place

- Toni Morrison: Jazz

- Daphne du Maurier: My Cousin Rachel

- E. M. Forster: Howards End

I'm surprised your TBR pile isn't at least as big as mine. Give it time though...:D

What happened to getting Interlunar? Was it not there, or did you just forget about it in the excitement of getting all those other books?

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning: Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems (Rory)

Aah!!!! One of my all time FAVORITES!!! I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I particularly love the story behind this particular collection. The Brownings are very close to my heart :D

Kylie, I did get Interlunar from the library but I just didn't report it on here. It was a big moment for me though ;) I've copied the poem in the thread I have on the poetry section.

Aah!!!! One of my all time FAVORITES!!! I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I particularly love the story behind this particular collection. The Brownings are very close to my heart :lol:

Haha, I knew you'd be pleased to hear that I got me some Browning :( I got it mostly because of Rory, but also because I want to start reading poems and I knew you love her stuff, and also there's one poem by Browning that I like, but I just can't remember which one it is. I'll report! :D

Haha, I knew you'd be pleased to hear that I got me some Browning :lol: I got it mostly because of Rory, but also because I want to start reading poems and I knew you love her stuff, and also there's one poem by Browning that I like, but I just can't remember which one it is. I'll report! :D

She is a great one to 'jump into' poetry with. I whole heartedly approve!

Could this be the one you like:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight

For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

I love thee to the level of everyday's

Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.

I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;

I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.

I love thee with a passion put to use

In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose

With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,

Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,

I shall but love thee better after death.

Aside from her short novel, Aurora Leigh, this is her most famous work.

I really hope you like her! :D

It is my favorite poem :D What I love even more is that it was in a pile of papers that one day she slipped into her husband, Robert Browning's hands and instructed him to read after she left. She then instructed him to burn them because she was a painfully shy person. To think, if he had listened and burned that... Thank god he didn't!

Indeed, what a waste.

I just wish I could write something like that. Nor me or my OH are very romantic or good at expressing ourselves. I have ordered the book and I hope I can get it before my partner goes back to America. I want to slip it in his hand luggage. :D

Aww! That is such a sweet gesture, catwoman!!! Very romantic. :D I hope he enjoys it. Both Elizabeth and Robert Browning are two of the most passionate people I've ever come across (through books). Their personal love story is so beautiful and inspiring. They actually fell in love through each other's writing. They wrote poems and letters and knew each other's heart before ever meeting in person. If I remember right, one was in England and one was in Italy. In a way, they sound a bit like you and your OH, love from afar.

Aww! That is such a sweet gesture, catwoman!!! Very romantic. :D I hope he enjoys it. Both Elizabeth and Robert Browning are two of the most passionate people I've ever come across (through books). Their personal love story is so beautiful and inspiring. They actually fell in love through each other's writing. They wrote poems and letters and knew each other's heart before ever meeting in person. If I remember right, one was in England and one was in Italy. In a way, they sound a bit like you and your OH, love from afar.

Oh really? Wow! It makes me understaand the feelings of the poem even more. For me I find it difficult to express how much I love him when he is so far away and you can only express how you feel via email or on the phone. The power of touch means so much more when you don't get it.

I completely agree. In a way, the distance makes one's bond stronger, but only if both are committed to it. :D

I really hope he enjoys the poems. Sometimes our feelings are best expressed through other's words. :D

(Sorry for the thread hyjack frankie!)

I completely agree. In a way, the distance makes one's bond stronger, but only if both are committed to it. :)

I really hope he enjoys the poems. Sometimes our feelings are best expressed through other's words. :D

(Sorry for the thread hyjack frankie!)

Hahaha. Yes sorry Frankie.

I am sure he will say, Oh I saw the book. Umm, thanks. I know what you mean. :D Men! :lol:

I don't mind at all, I just woke up from a little nap and it was so nice to notice what kind of a conversation you two have had on here, and the Brownings' relationship is indeed intriguing, I'd like to read about it. (In fact, earlier today I was just browsing through the From Dante to Dickens -book I bought a week ago and the two were mentioned in it! The book's about biographies of great writers and the two of them were introduced together in the same biography, it was really sweet! And she's the only woman mentioned on the book, from what I've seen so far.

And this is something I can relate to, my BF and me living in different towns, and having gotten to know each other via IRC :D

Catwoman, that would be so romantic if you'd buy the book and slip it in his luggage! :lol:

Abby, that is indeed a familiar poem, but I'm not sure if it's the only one I know from her, I have to investigate! :) By the way, how do you know so much about the Brownings, or rather, do you have any good book recommendations about the two of them?

This is definitely not the same thing, but BF and I love dogs and animals, and when we see great or funny pics of animals we always show each other the link to the pic in IRC when we're not in the same town. I was just visiting BF, and I googled Chilean ground squirrels because one of the new members on this forum had one and I wanted to see what kinda squirrels they are. Anyway, I saw this pic and I thought it was hilarious and showed it to BF. He loved it too.

So, when I had to leave town yesterday, while he was in school, I opened his TV (he uses that for the computer), googled the picture and left it there on the screen, so when he would open the TV to start doing his computer thing he would see the pic the first thing :D

Edited by frankie

:)

This is definitely not the same thing, but BF and I love dogs and animals, and when we see great or funny pics of animals we always show each other the link to the pic in IRC when we're not in the same town. I was just visiting BF, and I googled Chilean ground squirrels because one of the new members on this forum had one and I wanted to see what kinda squirrels they are. Anyway, I saw this pic and I thought it was hilarious and showed it to BF. He loved it too.

So, when I had to leave town yesterday, while he was in school, I opened his TV (he uses that for the computer), googled the picture and left it there on the screen, so when he would open the TV to start doing his computer thing he would see the pic the first thing :D

Awe that is sweet Frankie. Me and my partner do that. Our is old people. It started when I was on holiday near Blackpool and he had just mved back to the States. I saw this really old couple walking alomg the beach eating icecream. I sent the pic and wrote "Us in our 80's" He loved it and so if we are about and we see an old couple together we take a pic or send the link of one we see. :D Not as cute as yours Frankie, but, funny all the same :lol:

Here is a linkto the sort of thing.

http://static.eharmony.co.uk/relationship-advice/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/old-couple.jpg

Edited by catwoman