Lauren Kate - Fallen

*phoenix*

No, I'm not connected with the publication.

So, here's summary:

Seventeen-year-old Luce is a new student at Sword & Cross, an unwelcoming boarding/reform school in Savannah, Georgia. Luce's boyfriend died under suspicious circumstances, and now she carries the guilt over his death with her as she navigates the unfriendly halls at Sword & Cross, where every student seems to have an unpleasant--even evil--history.

When she sees Daniel Grigori, he captures her attention immediately. She feels there's something about him, achingly familiar. Even though he wants nothing to do with her, she is drawn to him like a moth to a flame and she has to find out his secret... even if it kills her.

I love the book because of the writing which is incredibly addictive and it makes you feel like you're really there. The characters are very interesting, too. The book is darkly romantic and some people compare it with Twilight but for me it's better than Twilight. Writing style is much more developed and the whole plot is better constructed. At least I think so.

I have seen this book on Fantastic Fiction and I have been meaning to have a look further. It does look an interesting read, especially for Twilight fans.

I have just look on my library website and there is no copies of the book, so i will have to keep an eye out for a copy.

Thanks for the reminder, look forward to hearing more recommendations and reviews from you, looks like there might be some reviews by you I would be interested in.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this book on Tuesday, Ive just started it i found it difficult to get into it but so far so good. What made me buy this was i recently read Hush Hush by Becca Fitzgerald and i loved it. Apparently Fallen is amazing cant wait to find out :D

Also i find it hard to believe that its gonna be better than Twilight.

Edited by Chrissy

• 2 weeks later...

Title: Fallen

Author: Lauren Kate

Publisher: Doubleday

Synopsis: (extract from http://www.fallenbooks.co.uk)

What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours? After the mysterious fire, 17 year-old Luce's parents send her away to reform school. The grim, harsh, run-down Sword and Cross is a world away from her previous wealthy school, full of high-flyers & socialites. Luce finds herself instantly & inexplicably drawn to Daniel - gorgeous and intelligent - but she can't help thinking he hates her half the time. Meanwhile there's the charming Cam, who can't do enough for her. Without realising, Luce is being lured into grave danger. She has no idea of the world which exists in parallel to her own, but is about to find out...

Review:

Yet another foray into teenage fantasy books, and this was a pleasant surprise as I was beginning to wonder if I'd become jaded by a surfeit of them, but I found myself completely engrossed in this story. Intriguing characters and with a niggling creepiness to the story which gradually builds to a thrilling crescendo before an epilogue to set up the rest of the series.

I loved the relationships between the characters and there were some genuine surprising plot twists and developments. A very satisfying piece of story telling on the whole, although sometimes I found myself thinking "have you never seen a horror movie? DON'T DO THAT!!!!"

In fact, my only minor complaint about the book (but it's more of a general moan) is what happened to books that deliver a complete story? Don't get me wrong, I love series and I devour them with glee, but I'd much rather have a book that could be read as a single story, yet a lot of serial books I'm reading lately, whilst leaving me wanting more, leave a slight taste of disappointment when the final chapter or epilogue tries to entice you with some ideas of where the story will continue.

As a final word, my copy of the book has a very short blurb on the back which gives nothing away, but if you read the full synopsis from either amazon.co.uk or waterstones.com, then you will find out something that I think is a spoiler, so beware!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm reading this at the moment. I actually picked it up thinking it was something else, though I now have no idea what that something else actually is.

It's not AMAZING, but considering I'm not a huge fan of this type of young adult fiction, nor of unspeakably hot guys populating in abundance one particular location where an unlikely heroine is located, but it's keeping me reading alright. I love the religious imagery - anything with religious imagery (classic biblical stuff) has me sold just because I find it interesting.

I'm curious to find out what is going to happen, but I highly doubt I'm going to read any more in the series.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've read this, and the follow up. Torment.

At first, I was like...Urghh. But my girlfriend had bought it and was raving about it. So, when I had run out of books and was getting withdrawal symptoms...I tried it and now I love it. It's not the best book, but you really get into it and the characters are well made and you feel as if your there. You can spend hours thinking about it, and the author really puts effort into her characters. You should read the second one, and I hear they are turning it into a film :)

• 3 weeks later...

There's going to be 4 books in the FALLEN series, the book after TORMENT would be called PASSION which will be released summertime 2011.. I CAN'T WAIT! I'm reading TORMENT at the moment, I got it as a gift for Christmas and so far, it's great! FALLEN was absolutely wonderful, it got me so hooked. I can't even say whether the TWILIGHT series is better than the FALLEN series, because in my opinion, both series are equally as brilliant as each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Passion is published in the UK on 16th June 2011 according to Amazon.co.uk, but can't see publications dates on her website for worldwide, so not sure when it'll be available in NZ, LadyMacbeth.

Usually they are quite prompt. And there is always the internet if you want to buy something.

• 4 weeks later...

I've totally FALLEN head over heels with this book, and I so can not wait for passion to come out. I love the twist in the book, yes I am going to compare it to Twilight, because with Twilight it is a straight forward book and its pretty obvious whats going to happen, However with Fallen it kept me on edge and wanting to read more every time I put it down and when I wasn't reading it I was thinking about it and whats going to happen. This also happens with the follow up Torment.

I thought this was an interesting read. I like how you get something of a teaser at the very beginning so as the reader you are not completely lost

And you can sort of get into the mindset of Luce because you can think back to "meeting" Daniel somewhere but it seems as it could just be some forgotten dream

. I found it easy to get into and the developing storyline was done nicely.

I also enjoy how we as the audience have to come into the truth of everything gradually much as Luce does toward the end of the book

I will most likely be getting Torment for my next read simply because it is available NOW unlike most of the series I keep swearing I will not start until all books are released (So far I am failing miserably at that).