Hello All

Vladd

Just found this forum and decided to jump right in. I am an ex civil servant who since being bribed by HMRC to go away is a, for want of a better term, house husband looking after my two daughters while my wife works to keep us all. My interest in books goes back many many years to the Pirate books I learnt to read with at school. Who knew what Roderick the Red, Gregory the Green, and Benjamin the Blue would lead to. I am a fan of thrillers, sci fi, fantasy, horror, in fact if its printed on paper I will read it. So I am looking forward to some interesting threads and any recommendations for books and authors I have missed out on.

Hello :lol: I must say, I approve of your name and picture, as well as (of course) of pirates!

In fact, let me start recommending books to you right now (this is the first of a series; they can be read as standalones however, which is good as I'm not even sure whether anything after Book 1 was ever translated into English):

Emilio Salgari, an Italian who never moved from Turin but was armed with an encylopaedic knowledge of distant lands and a staggering visual imagination, wrote a marvellous book called The Black Corsair (hopefully followed by The Queen of the Carribbean; Iolanda, The Daughter of The Black Corsair; and The Son of the Red Corsair).

One of my absolute favourite books when I was younger, The Black Corsair tells of a nobleman driven from his native Italy and into a life of piracy by the slaughterer of his family, revenge against whom he swears after the murder at his hands of his brothers - the Red and Green Corsairs. It and its sequels are gorgeously, lusciously written (it is near impossible to believe Salgari never set foot in the Americas), as well as full of of action, romance, ideals. You name it, it's there.