Noll's 2010 Reading List

Nollaig

2009 Reading List

EDIT 30/06/10: My aims are TOTALLY not happening. So here's a better aim: Actually read SOMETHING on my TBR, which is as follows:

Alexie, Sherman - The Lone Ranger & Tonto Fistfight In Heaven

Andrews, Virginia - Petals On The Wind

Andrews, Virginia - If There Be Thorns

Andrews, Virginia - Seeds Of Yesterday

Austen, Jane - Sense & Sensibility

Barclay, Linwood - No Time For Goodbye

Brooks, Max - World War Z

Brown, Dan - Deception Point

Buchan, John - The 39 Steps

Byatt, A. S. - Possession

Byatt, A. S. - The Children’s Book

Chevalier, Tracy - Burning Bright

Child, Lee - Bad Luck & Trouble

Child, Lee - The Hard Way

Clare, Cassandra - Clockwork Angel

Coelho, Paulo - The Alchemist

Collins, Wilkie - The Moonstone

Crichton, Michael - Jurassic Park

Dickens, Charles - A Christmas Carol

Edwards, Kim - The Memory Keeper’s Daughter

Eugenides, Jeffrey - Middlesex

Faber, Michael - The Crimson Petal & The White

Fielding, Helen - Bridget Jones’s Diary

Fielding, Helen - Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason

Gately, Stephen - The Tree Of Seasons

Gregory, Phillipa - The Other Boleyn Girl

Hollinghurst, Alan - The Line Of Beauty

Housseini, Khaled - The Kite Runner

Isherwood, Christopher - A Single Man

Keane, Molly - Good Behaviour

Kostova, Elizabeth - The Swan Thieves

Kumar, Majit - Quantum; Einstein, Bohr And The Great Debate About The Nature Of Reality

Larsson, Sieg - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Marquez, Gabriel Garcia - Love In The Time Of Cholera

Mosse, Kate - The Labyrinth

Ondaatje, Michael - The English Patient

Pearl, Matthew - The Dante Club

Pearl, Matthew - The Last Dickens

Rankin, Robert - They Came And Ate Us: Armageddon II: The B-Movie

Rankin, Robert - The Book Of Ultimate Truths

Rankin, Robert - East Of Ealing

Rubenfeld, Jed - The Interpretation Of Murder

Rushdie, Salman - Midnight’s Children

Scheinmann, Danny - Random Acts Of Heroic Love

Shreve, Anita - A Wedding In December

Shreve, Anita - Resistance

Shriver, Lionel - We Need To Talk About Kevin

Simmons, Dan - Drood

Slaughter, Karen - A Faint Cold Fear

Smith, Alexander McCall - The Sunday Philosophy Club

Strachan, Mari - The Earth Hums In B-Flat

Tóbín, Colm - The Blackwater Lightship

White, Michael - Equinox

White, Michael - The Medici Secret

Total: 54

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grey is UNOWNED titles.

Red is UNREAD titles.

Green is READ titles.

January:

The Coldfire Trilogy: Black Sun Rising - C. S. Friedman (Re-read)

The Coldfire Trilogy: When True Night Falls - C. S. Friedman

Hector & The Search For Happiness - Francois Lelord ®

If Nobody Speaks Of Remarkable Things - Jon McGregor

Oscar Wilde: A Life In Letters - Merlin Holland (Ed.)

February:

The Magicians - Lev Grossman

Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

March:

The Coldfire Trilogy: Crown Of Shadows - C. S. Friedman

The Elf Of Luxembourg - Tom Weston

I, Lucifer - Glen Duncan

No Way To Say Goodbye - Anna McPartlin ®

Vlad - C. C. Humphreys

Wuthering Heights (Re-read)

April:

The Art Of Racing In The Rain - Garth Stein

Witchfinder: Dawn Of The Demontide - William Hussey

Coffee With Oscar Wilde - Merlin Holland

The Good Man Jesus and The Scoundrel Christ - Phillip Pullman

The Complete Short Stories Of Oscar Wilde

Cinema Blue - Sue Rulierre ®

May:

I ACTUALLY DIDN'T FINISH ANY BOOKS X_X

June:

Road To Nowhere - Christopher Pike

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke

The Lady & The Unicorn - Tracy Chevalier

Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma ®

The Importance Of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde

Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist

July:

Flowers For Algernon - Daniel Keyes

The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Fallen - Lauren Kate

Father Time - Lance Parkin

The House At Riverton - Kate Morton

August:

The Baker Street Phantom - Fabrice Bourland ®

Tender Morsels - Margo Lanagan ®

Room - Emma Donoghue

September:

Galileo's Dream - Kim Stanley Robinson

Codex - Lev Grossman

Under The Dome - Stephen King

Kick-Ass Book 1 (8 comics) - Mark Millar

Tag - Michael Coleman

October:

Didn't finish any books x_x

November:

Didn't finish any books :/

December:

The Ninth Circle - Alex Bell

The Guns of Easter - Gerard Whelan

® Review Books: 7

Last years total: 54

This years total: 41

Pages: 12,707

Edited by Nollaig

• 3 weeks later...

First two reads of 2010 in progress:

C. S. Friedman - Black Sun Rising

- This is a re-read, because I haven't finished the trilogy before. It's excellent, which I already knew.

Merlin Holland - Oscar Wilde: A Life In Letters

- This is a really interesting read, which substantiates the character I already thought Wilde to be. I'm reading it slowly am am currently at his 30th year, before he meets Bosie and just after he met Sherard.

:D

Edited by Nollaig

Ooh, some good'uns there!

I first read Jurassic Park back in 1993 - right after going to see the film. I loved all the little details that the film missed (although I loved the film too - still do!).

The Alchemist is quite a whimsical one that I liked rather a lot. It's got quite a fairytale-ish quality to it. :roll:

I quite fancy reading Middlesex too, so I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that one. :D

I watched Jurassic Park over Christmas again and I never knew there was a book! So now I can't wait to read it. I love dinos :D

The Alchemist has been sitting on my shelf for months - which is the main reason I want to get into it! I did try once, but couldn't. I hear very mixed reviews!

And Middlesex - I have no excuse for not reading it yet other than that I keept buying new ones the whole time, but it is meant to be very good, I'll let you know as soon as I read it :roll:

Wow, that is some list!

I have only read a couple - The Alchemist and The Beach, both of which I enjoyed. As you have said above, there are really mixed reviews about the alchemist. I am glad that I have read it, but I probably wouldn't re-read it so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Noll, Middlesex was one of my best reads of 2009. I hope you enjoy it as much. :roll:

I saw a book about Oscar Wilde recently and I kept meaning to tell you about it, but I couldn't remember the exact title. I think it was concerning his library of books. Have you heard of it? I did a quick search and came up with Built of Books: How Reading Defined the Life of Oscar Wilde by Thomas Wright. This may or may not be it, but I can't imagine that too many books along these lines have been written. Anyway, thought I'd let you know. :D

Oh thank you Kylie! That's a really interesting angle on his life - he was always taking everything around him in so I imagine his reading would have impacted his life massively. I'll keep an eye out for that, cheers :D

No worries. :D I thought of you the second I saw it. And I agree that it's an interesting angle on his life. It makes me want to take stock of my own library in case someone wants to write about it one day...not that I'll ever be famous for anything. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Damn! I forgot about Kostova's The Swan Thieves! I'lll have to go and buy it this weekend...

Looks like you've got some great reading ahead - I have some of those novels on your wishlist. Hope you're very well. :lol:

Is it out? I can't keep track of these things. I'll have to get it. The worst thing about my TBR is, once I KNOW I'm going to buy certain books, I have to prioritze them and decide which I want first!!

ETA: I just raised my Mount TBR vs. Wishlist counts to 20 each - 9 random TBR titles extra, leaving nine slots for future wishlist additions. It also brings my intended reading up over last years total, which is another aim.

Edited by Nollaig

Is it out? I can't keep track of these things. I'll have to get it.

It just came out yesterday here in the US Noll and I can't wait to get it!! I tried to subtly hint to my mom that it's what I want for my bday :lol:.

Do what Dougal McGuire did in Father Ted - paint it on a 10 foot high banner and hang it off the front of her house.

Worked for him.

I'm actually hoping to get through three or four TBR books before ever buying any - that way I'm more likely to stay on track.

Do what Dougal McGuire did in Father Ted - paint it on a 10 foot high banner and hang it off the front of her house.

Worked for him.

I'm actually hoping to get through three or four TBR books before ever buying any - that way I'm more likely to stay on track.

:lol: God I love Father Ted!

I finished When True Night Falls today, the second in the Coldfire Trilogy, review pending. They're hard books to review because they're SO complex that attempting to capture their essence is difficult.

Anyway, I didn't like the start as much as the first one, but overall in terms of characters and character development (particularly with Gerald Tarrant and Damien Vryce) it was more enjoyable because the progress is much clearer. As per the first one, it ended on a kind of cliff hanger, and a kind of happy-for-now ending, but with omens of the absolute chaos to come. Bring it on :smile2:

I adored Father Ted - Dougal is just amazing!

There was a simply brilliant moment during an episode where the priest who talked constantly was left alone in the lounge (Ted, Dougal and Jack having cleared off) sitting on the sofa. He turns round and notices the throw over the back with Jesus embroidered upon it and he says "Whoa! It's yourself!" and carries on gassing.

Magic stuff.

Tremendously off-topic. Sorry Noll. I'll look forward to reading the review, though. :smile2:

It's okay, I have a tendancy to read things no one else does, or NOT read what everyone else is reading so nobody really pays attention to my list anyway.

May as well talk about Father Ted for all it's worth :smile2::yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm accidentally reading three books at once now, oh dear. Oscar is still in the background - though he doesn't require require much attention bless him because I already know his story, I'm just fluffing it out with this story.

I'm onto the third Coldfire book, but my brother is also reading it, so I'm kinda avoiding it for now as I can't pick it up whenever I want. So now I'm reading Jonathan Strange And Mr. Norrell, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I have no idea really where the story itself is going to go, I'm so caught up in the detail! I LOVE the footnotes. I adore footnotes anyway, but in books like this and in John Connolly's 'The Gates', they're fantastic.

For that reason I've also added House Of Leaves to my Wishlist on page 1, as well as a book I saw reviewed on BCF Reviews, Cherry by Matt Thorne. The latter has no footnotes that I'm aware of, and doesn't seem to be a particularly inspirational book going by the review, but it's peaked my interest all the same.

I read some short ones, some children's ones - so in those weeks I got two or three in one week. Sometimes I went without reading for a couple of weeks. But I also read a chunk of 600-800 page books, so somehow it all just averaged out to just over a book a week. I'm hoping to read more this year! But that's not going so well - near the end of January and only two books read! :D

Made my first two purchases of 2010 today:

If Nobody Speaks Of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

I've read two books on my TBR and am currently reading another two, so I'm staying well within the limits I set (one TBR completion per purchase) but my Wishlist is rapidly filling up!

I've also taken the third Coldfire book off my 'currently reading' list, as I'm not actually reading it, my brother is. So now I'm focusing on Jonathan Strange and Oscar Wilde.