Nollaig's Reading Challenge

Nollaig

My challenge is to, for each letter of the aphabet, read at least one book whose author's name begins with that letter. (Their surname, not first name.)

Here is what I've read in 2009 so far:

Austen, Jane - Pride and Prejudice

Barclay, Linwood - Too Close To Home

Black, Holly - Modern Faerie Tale: Valiant

Blatty, William Peter - The Exorcist

Brandreth, Gyles - Oscar Wilde And The Candlelight Murders

Carrell, J. L. - The Shakespeare Secret

Chevalier, Tracy - Girl With A Pearl Earring

Connolly, John - The Book Of Lost Things

Connolly, John - The Gates (Of Hell Are About To Open, Mind The Gap)

Cooper, Susan - Over Sea, Under Stone (CF)

Dann, Colin - A Legacy Of Ghosts (CF)

DCS - Synarchy: The Awakening ®

Downham, Jenny - Before I Die

Evans, Alan S. - Spirit Horses ®

Ferney, Alice - Angelina's Children (ATW)

Funke, Cornelia - Inkspell (ATW)

Gaiman, Neil - The Graveyard Book

Hardie, Titania - The Rose Labyrinth ®

Hayder, Mo - Pig Island

Herbert, James - Haunted

Herbert, James - The Secret O Crickley Hall

Hewitt, Doug - The Dead Guy ®

Hussey, Bill - Through A Glass, Darkly ®

Hussey, Bill - The Absence ®

Jin, Ha - Waiting (ATW)

Johns, Alan - Looking For Leticia ®

Kostova, Elizabeth - The Historian

Matheson, Richard - What Dreams May Come

McKinley, Robin - Beauty

McPartlin, Anna - Pack Up The Moon ®

McPartlin, Anna - So What If I'm Broken

Meyer, Stephanie - New Moon

Meyer, Stephanie - Eclipse

Mosse, Kate - The Winter Ghosts

Niffenegger, Audrey - The Time Traveller's Wife

Picoult, Jodi - The Tenth Circle (ATW)

Rankin, Robert - The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies Of The Apocalypse

Rankin, Robert - The Garden Of UnEarthly Delights

Riffenburgh, Beau - The Titanic Experience

Shreve, Anita - Light On Snow

Siegel, James - Derailed

Spens, Christiana - The Wrecking Ball ®

Stewart, Paul - The Wakening (CF)

Stine, R. L. - The Phantom Of The Auditorium (CF)

Stoker, Bram - Dracula

Suskind, Patrick - Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer

Thomas, Scarlette - The End of Mr. Y

Weston, Tom - First Night ®

Whelan, Gerard - Out Of Nowhere (CF)

Whitcomb, Laura – A Certain Slant of Light

Young, William P. - The Shack

Zusak, Markus - The Book Thief (ATW)

® Review Books: 10

(ATW) Around The World Challenge: 5

(CF) Childhood Favourites 'Challenge': 7

Read: 54

Pages: 18,270

Childhood Favourites

I've also decided to do a sort of sub challenge, which involves re-visiting all my old favourite children's/teen's books that I loved years ago, as well as finishing ones I never finished.

The list as it stands is as follows: (Red are read, green are owned and grey I must re-buy.)

Out Of Nowhere - Gerard Whelan (review)

The Wakening - Paul Stewart (review)

Phantom Of The Auditorium - R. L. Stine

The Butterfly Lion - Michael Morpurgo

The Dark Is Rising - Susan Cooper

- Over Sea, Under Stone

- The Dark Is Rising

- Greenwitch

- The Grey King

- Silver On The Tree

Del Del - Victor Kelleher

Fleabag (& sequel) - Beth Webb

The Castle In The Attic (& sequel) - Elizabeth Winthrop

Catchman - Chris Wooding

The Shell House - Linda Newbery

A Legacy Of Ghosts - Colin Dann

Edited by Nollaig

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely!

The Kite Runner is one of those books I keep meaning to read but keep forgetting about :lol: And the other two sound great too. I just put the first book in the crime series on the list for now - if I enjoy it, the rest will inevitably follow! :)

I'm hoping to get a good selection of suggestions so I can have a choice :)

Thanks Chimera =D

A

Anderson, Laurie Halse - Speak (YA)

Armstrong, Kelley - Women of the Otherworld series (starts with Bitten)

B

Barclay, Linwood - No Time For Goodbye

C

Chbosky, Stephen - The Perks Of Being A Wallflower (YA)

Child, Lee - Jack Reacher Series (starts with Killing Floor)

Cornwell, Patricia - Scarpetta Series (starts with Postmortem)

D

Delinsky, Barbara - The Family Tree

E

Edwards, Kim - The Memory Keepers Daughter

G

Gerritsen, Tess - Jane Rizzoli/Maura Isles Series (starts with The Surgeon) but other stand alone books are fantastic too

Gardner, Lisa - Hide

Grogan, John - Marley & Me

H

Harris, Thomas - Hannibal Lecter Series (starts with Red Dragon)

Hayden, Torey - Any of her Non-Fiction books are very good

Hooper, Kay - Evil Trilogy (starts with Touching Evil)

J

James, P.D. - The Children Of Men

Jin, Ha - Waiting

Johnston, Paul - The Blood Tree

K

Kay, Susan - Phantom

Kernick, Simon - Severed or Relentless

Kidd, Sue Monk - The Secret Life Of Bees

King, Stephen - The Green Mile and many others

Koontz, Dean - The Husband or The Good Guy or Velocity

L

Lansens, Lori - The Girls

Latus, Janine - If I Am Missing Or Dead...

M

Marshall, Michael - The Straw Men

Matheson, Richard - I Am Legend

McEwan, Ian - Atonement

N

Niffenegger, Audrey - The Time Traveler's Wife

P

Pelzer, Dave - My Story

Picoult, Jodi - My Sister's Keeper, but most are very good

Preston, Marcia - The Butterfly House

R

Rees, Celia - Witch Child & Sorceress (YA)

Reichs, Kathy - Temp Brennan Series (starts with Deja Dead)

Rowling, J.K. - Tales Of Beedle The Bard

S

Sebold, Alice - The Lovely Bones (YA)

Spindler, Erica - Anything by her

U

Unger, Lisa - Beautiful Lies

Z

Zafon, Carlos Ruiz - The Shadow Of The Wind

Hope this is okay, I just made a list of books I'd recommend from what I own, there's a fair variety so you might not like it all, and you've probs read some already, but I hope this helps a little :lol:

O_O

Woah!! Awesome!!! :lol:

I haven't read any of them!

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - Keep meaning to read this, and keep forgetting. Definately going on the list!

Stephen King: Only read Salem's Lot so far, but loved it and have many of his books.

Phantom: Thought that might make an appearance! Its a definate must.

And lots of books that have movie adapations - excellent!

And some Young Adult books - I have a soft spot for those :)

Thats a great list, thank you!!

No problem :) It's a great idea!

And I like YA books too, though for some reason people who don't read that see someone who is above 17 reading them say they are "childrens" books (my BF included) and it drives me bonkers! :) I find they are just as enjoyable if not more so in some cases as "adult" books, and there are books like Harry Potter/Twilight that are promoted as YA books but I think they are aimed at adults just as much :lol:

... there are books like Harry Potter/Twilight that are promoted as YA books but I think they are aimed at adults just as much :D

Indeed! Look at The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon - a perfect example of a cross-over novel. Initially aimed at the YA market, critically acclaimed, and a favourite for reading circles everywhere!

How about something by Michael Ondaatje for O? I read The English Patient a while back, and it was very good. I've also been meaning to read his Anil's Ghost.

And if you want a classic for the letter J, you could read something by James Joyce (Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Ulysses, or Dubliners) or Henry James (haven't read anything of his (*gasp*) so I don't really want to make a recommendation). Or you could even read one of Ben Jonson's plays if you want some real variety in your list!

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps!

How about something by Michael Ondaatje for O? I read The English Patient a while back, and it was very good. I've also been meaning to read his Anil's Ghost.

He could also be used for yoiur Round the World challenge - he's from Sri Lanka.

Finished my first book of 2009!

Couldn't put it down :D

9374094.jpg

A Certain Slant Of Light

(2005)

Genre: Young Adult/Supernatural

Synopsis: 'After benignly haunting a series of people for over a century, Helen meets a teenage boy who can see her and together they unlock the mysteries of their paths.'

General Ramble: I stumbled quite accidentally on this book - and am delighted that I did. Don't let the fact that its a Young Adult book deter you; its not childish, just a universally understandable exploration of, among other metaphysical concepts, spirituality and love. Its not overly adventurous and exciting; it's more poetic than anything. It is written in almost an old English style which clashes with the harrowing contemporary situations the characters find themselves in. The surreal execution of the novel will keep you thinking throughout but leave you feeling wholly content and maybe just a little bit hopeful.

Rating: 8.5/10

You can read my full ramble here.

Edited by Nollaig

Finished my first book of 2009!

Couldn't put it down :D

"A Certain Slant Of Light" - Laura Whitcomb

You can read my ramble here.

I did and I thought it seemed like it would be a good read. Your review is very good btw :D

T.S. Eliot, Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have a look at this: http://classiclit.about.com/od/findawriter/AtoZ_Writers.htm

Ahahaha brilliant!

You beat the system :D

Nice, now I can build up the other letters and work on actually reading! :D

But theres no X. This really will be a challange.

I did and I thought it seemed like it would be a good read. Your review is very good btw :D

Thanks! =D I wrote it at 3am last night so I won't be surprised if it makes no sense when I re-read it but meh!

Edited by Nollaig

Theres no X anywhere. I even tried Wiki. I think I'll just have to leave it out. It rounds the books down to 25 in the challenge and 25 choice books, so thats neat.

EDIT: No, wait, I did it. A chinese novella translated into english by a dude whose pen name starts with X.

Edited by Nollaig
I am a genius.

Theres no X anywhere. I even tried Wiki. I think I'll just have to leave it out. It rounds the books down to 25 in the challenge and 25 choice books, so thats neat.

Not so quick! :D There are some chinese authors here. Alternatively there is Xenophon, a pupil of Socrates (you study philosophy, right?). :D

Happy reading! :D

Edit: hadnt seen your edit, but I've got 6 authors starting with X (some of which have written several books) *laughs*

Edited by Chimera
I'm a genius too! :-p

Not so quick! :D There are some chinese authors here. Alternatively there is Xenophon, a pupil of Socrates (you study philosophy, right?). :D

Happy reading! :D

Edit: hadnt seen your edit, but I've got 6 authors starting with X (some of which have written several books) *laughs*

Its alright, I'll check them all out, I'd rather read a proper book than just a novella, even though the novella sounds interesting.

Also, I'm not reading anything students of Socrates said =P I accept their contribution to the development of Philosophy but my god were they wrong about things. XD

Also, I'm not reading anything students of Socrates said =P I accept their contribution to the development of Philosophy but my god were they wrong about things. XD

*laughs* I wouldnt even understand what they went on about... But can you be 'right' or 'wrong' in philosophy? Isnt it all about personal reasoning and demonstration, whatever your opinion might be?

Not exactly. You're entitled to your opinions obviously, but your opinion could be that of say, substance dualism like Descartes said, which is a very common western view - that 'we' are made up of a physical body and a mental mind, two distinct yet inseperable 'things.' However most neuroscientists and modern Philosopers of Mind alike will tell you the mind is nothing more than the physical chemical reactions in the brain.

So, we don't know for certain yet, but there are areas where you are liable to be factually incorrect.

Also - I now also have three chinese 'X' books, they all sound good!

Hahaha!

I always think its funny how scientists think Philosophers are wrong, and Philosophers think Psychologists are wrong, and Psychologists think Sociologists are wrong, and they ALL think religious people are wrong -

Its all exactly the same thing, it just entails different ways of looking at things. I've studied Philosophy, Psychology and I study Physics/Biology in my spare time. I try to reconcile them all. If Philosophy is vague, I read the science. If the science can't explain it, I check out Philosophy. No matter who is right, its exactly the same thing.

Book 2 Complete!

51aLMdFaW1L._SL500_.jpg

The Book Thief:

(2006) 03/01/09 - 08/01/09

Genre: Fiction

Synopsis: 1939. Nazi Germany. The Country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall.

Short Ramble: This book is a bestseller for a reason. A good reason. The story itself is flawless. The events, the people, the general narration and message. The only tiny flaw perhaps, and the only criticism I’ve seen is regarding the misordering of events chronologically. I choose to overlook that, because everything else about the book makes up for it. Just don’t expect a traditional plot layout, and don’t expect to read climax you didn’t see coming. It is an easy read in once sense, it is only difficult to deal with on a psychological level, because it is incredibly honest. I would recommend it to absolutely everyone. Don’t be discouraged by the harsh nature of the story or conversely deceived by the simple execution – it’s the kind of story everybody should read once, and you won’t find a better storyteller to bring you through it.

Rating: 9.5/10

You can find my in-depth ramble here

Edited by Nollaig