Noll's 2010 Reading List

Nollaig

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, okay, so May sucked. I've done no reading lately.

I bought two easy reads yesterday, a Christopher Pike and a James Herbert, so I'm gonna give those a go and see if I can't get back on track.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell!! After several months of reading it on and off, I flew through the last 250 pages recently and must say it's definitely one of my all time favourite books. Absolutely fantastic. cheerful.gif And I definitely want to buy a proper copy/set of the book/volumes. Mine is the red paperback, and it's secondhand, so it's pretty beaten up - perfect for reading a 1000 page book but I'd like a pretty copy for display purposes (I'm such a loser icon_rolleyes.gif). I'm thinking of buying the boxset of the three individual black/red/white volumes.

I finished The Lady & The Unicorn. It's very easy to read, I quite like the characters and reading about the process of making tapestries is really interesting, but I really wouldn't rate this book as anything more than mediocre - I don't know why it's the favourite of so many Chevalier fans! I much preferred Girl With The Pearl Earring. I don't see how it's as lovely as some people have said - it's not at all happy and it's all either about weaving tapestries or 'ploughing' women. But to each their own.

Up next: The Tree Of Seasons by Stephen Gately, and yeah I'll admit I bought this on the grounds that he was a childhood crush, an all round adoreable and talented guy, and because I'm sad that he's dead, not because I think I'll like it or that it'll be any good. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still slowing making my way through The Tree Of Seasons, but to be honest it's not great. Still, I will perservere, no matter how long it takes, because it's pretty simplistic and therefore easy to remember - so good for reading on and off.

I'm also reading Let The Right One In, having seen the movie. I'm finding knowing the basics of the story really helps, as last time I struggled but this time I'm flying through it and loving it. Nearly 200 pages in. It really pushes moral boundaries and is very imaginative and atmospheric, so it gets full points from me so far. One issue I often have with foreign books is, being unfamiliar with the names, I tend to forget who is who when there are groups of names regularly mentioned. I'm not doing too badly with this one, which is a sign of a book well written.

What I actually came here to talk about though, is my latest review book, Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. It's a book about the incestuous relationship between a brother and sister with otherwise bright futures. I am by nature compelled by anything that pushes or contemplates moral boundaries - because I'm not a believer in moral absolutes, I'm fascinated by viewpoints that go against the norm or, without even necessarily JUSTIFYING a certain thing, ask instead why is it deemed so wrong by default.

I haven't started the book yet, but I'm very excited about it, both for the above reason and for this: The author is a British author half of direct Japanese descent. Incest is a topic not unknown to Japanese writing, though in my experience it's reserved for the more OTT outlets, like anime and manga. I've personally read and loved an example of this, Angel Sanctuary, a 20 volume manga about a boy who falls in love with his sister... and has to journey to hell to get her back. It's fantastical and completely off the wall. As one would expect of Japanese manga.

So, I'm now curious to see how an author raised in British culture (but of Asian descent) addresses the topic in a serious novel format, considering the taboo associated with incest in the Western World. I'm viewing it as a juxtaposition of British style and Asian theme - and though I may be completely wrong in viewing it as such, I'm quite curious about how it will compare to the likes of Angel Sanctuary. Very, very excited about it.

I'm still slowing making my way through The Tree Of Seasons, but to be honest it's not great. Still, I will perservere, no matter how long it takes, because it's pretty simplistic and therefore easy to remember - so good for reading on and off.

I'm reading the book aswell at the moment, bought it for the same reason as you did. It's quite a cute story, though you notice that it's not written by a novelist.

Yeah it's a sweet book and I'm glad I have it, more because it's something that Stephen worked on for years/because it's a reflection of him and his ideas in a lot of ways, than because I enjoy it on it's own merit. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Also, the cover is gorgeous :D

I finally finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell!! After several months of reading it on and off, I flew through the last 250 pages recently and must say it's definitely one of my all time favourite books. Absolutely fantastic. And I definitely want to buy a proper copy/set of the book/volumes. Mine is the red paperback, and it's secondhand, so it's pretty beaten up - perfect for reading a 1000 page book but I'd like a pretty copy for display purposes (I'm such a loser). I'm thinking of buying the boxset of the three individual black/red/white volumes.
... aaand this gets a further bump up the wishlist :D I too am a loser by the way, and join you in coveting the pretty three-volume box-set.

I reckon you'd love it, BJ. You should definitely give it a go.

I finished Forbidden, by Tabitha Suzuma. Most people probably wouldn't like it - it's about incest (and the whole point of the book is to make you simultaneously go 'dear God that's disgusting' while thinking, 'I kinda want them to be together'). But for those brave enough to try it (and you do have to be brave, it's semi-graphic quite frequently), it's an absolutely beautifully written, heart-wrenching story.

Full review here, I can't be bothered copy pasting everything and sorting an image etc. Definitely an author I want to read more of.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, since I last checked in here, I've covered quite a bit.

I'm reading, and have yet to finish Popco by Scarlett Thomas. I am all of twenty pages from the end, but due to the fact that the random tangents upon which the narrator embarked were infinitely more compelling than the virtually non-existant storyline, and assuming that said tangents are unlikely to continue in the final twenty pages, I must admit I feel in no way compelled to find out what happens. I will, of course, do so, for the sake of finishing the book, but The End Of Mr. Y was far far better. That said, the book is worth reading for the tangents alone - the author is highly intelligent, well-informed and knows how to keep a reader engaged - if only she used it in all areas of her story.

I've also read Flowers For Algernon, by Daniel Keyes. It's a short book, at only just over 200 pages, and I read it all in one night as a result. I've discussed it in quite some detail in the thread, here. In summary; an excellent read, mainly imo a discussion of what defines a person and what defines happiness - so it's quite emotional, and I imagine the emotional side is largely what would appeal to most people. Being a fond philosopher of mind and science, however, the objective philosophical and ethical topics which arise were what really intrigued me. Very unusual book, well worth reading.

I've just started Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality. I took some liberties with the capitals there. It's a dense read, with a lot of information - some of which I know, some I don't, but it's quite easy to understand. Very interesting, definitely written for those with little knowledge of quantum physics and even humorous in parts. Most certainly enjoying it. Thanks to Andrea for recommending it.

Annnnd apart from all that, I've been packing to move, and therefore raiding the pits of my cupboards. In them I found: 'Lord Of The Rings: Weapons & Warfare' (LOL), both my Norton Critical Editions of Paradise Lost and 17th Century British Poetry (both college texts, the latter never once read), and my Junior Cert and Leaving Cert (respectively) editions of Julius Caesar and King Lear. Foof! I think that's all :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

While the forum was down, I read The Shadow Of The Wind in a day. That was a day I had no internet, either.

It's a very good book, and it's rare that a book manages to hold my attention enough for me to read it in a day (especially when it's over 500 pages long), but at the same time, I'm not entirely sure why it was a runaway international bestseller. It's good. It's readable. It's also quite predictable, and the character around which most of it revolves (Julian Carax) ultimately isn't that interesting a guy. Worth a read though.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted in here.

I've not been reading much - I finished one review book (The Baker Street Phantom by Fabrice Bourland) and am almost finished another, Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan.

Tender Morsels is really unusually, but beautifully written and while seemingly rambling for the most part (as in, it adheres to the most basic elements of the Brothers Grimms' Snow White & Rose Red, but beyond that seems to have no fixed 'introduction, plot, climax, epilogue' sort of flow) it works really well. It's like an extended snapshot of something, rather than a classic fairytale with an explicit moral and no adornment beyond that. Anyway, I'll save most of my thoughts until it's finished (less than 100 pages to go.)

Today I also bought:

Room by Emma Donoghue

--> I saw this on a review show on tv, it literally just happened to be on the screen when I looked up from my laptop at one point and the Irish name caught my attention. Apparently she's Canada-based but ever-patriotic me is always on the lookout for Irish talent, so I turned up the volume. It's basically a story told from the perspective of a five year old boy who lives with his mother in a room which measures eleven feet by eleven feet. I looked up Donoghue's other books, and would have preferred some of them to this one, but unsurprisingly this was the only one Waterstones stocked, it being the current one. I've started reading it as it's not too hefty, and I'm enjoying it. I reckon I'll probably be getting more by her.

The Crimson Petal & The White by Michael Faber

--> This I had read about on the forum, and it literally just happened to catch my eye in Waterstones. Since both Room and this were in the 'three for two', I figured I'd be as well off to grab this one now and a third for free. So....

Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson

--> Katie picked this one out. I had two fiction novels so I was rummaging around the horror/classic/sci-fi/fantasy sections and the cover caught her eye. I've never heard of the author before, apparently it's pure Sci-Fi he writes and I don't read much Sci-Fi. BUT, this is about Galileo, it's set both in his time and our time (he gets a telescope that allows him to live in one time by day and the other by night), and the mediocre reviews it got on Amazon complained about in-depth theories of quantum physics and time. Oh, woe is me. Not. I freaking love reading books bogged down with scientific theories, especially outrageously fictional ones. The best reviews totally talked up the set of temporal theories in the book, which are apparently one of the most fundamental elements of the plot's climax, so it sounds really promising. Sounds just like the sort of dry intellectually-indulgent nerdiness I'm into. Can't wait to start reading it.

I'll shut up now.

You can't complain, this is MY thread. :giggle:

I'm going to get hold of Tender Morsels, having had my curiosity piqued already by Michelle. Looking forward to your review of it, Noll. And if you don't enjoy Crimson Petal... , I'll eat my hat, or maybe even three of them! It's truly brilliant. biggrin.gif

I was so excited to see that you bought The Crimson Petal and the White that I didn't register your other purchases. :D I remember reading a review of Galileo's Dream recently and thinking it sounded very interesting, so I'll look forward to reading your thoughts.

Haha if everyone keeps going on about The Crimson Petal I might have to read it sooner than I planned! :lol:

Mac, if you get Tender Morsels I hope you enjoy it. It's not very overtly graphic but the implications of the first third or so of the novel are fairly hard-hitting. Ugh. And it's not AMAZING. Personally I think anyone who goes on about the sublimity or genius of it is just close-minded generally and trying to be open-minded rather than shocked about what they just read. Now, the ending might be profound, but at this stage I doubt it. All the same, it's a good read and beautifully written.

I'm still reading a lot slower than I would like. I only read three books in August, and I'm generally aiming for five a month. At least I'm already halfway through two books going into September (Galileo's Dream and my re-read of Vlad).

Since I'm going to my parents this week to mind their dogs while they're away on holiday, I'm bringing three chunky books with me (the rest of Galileo's Dream, The Crimson Petal & The White and Under The Dome) to see if I can get through them. If I get those finished, I'll work on finishing Vlad and re-reading Through A Glass, Darkly by Bill Hussey before the end of the month to get my five in.

So far, with Galileo's Dream, I'm just over halfway through and it's only okay. I didn't expect it to be amazing, and I got it for free in a three-for-two, so I really don't mind. It's well written and enjoyable to read, and I'm liking the detail, research, physics theories and what's shaping up to become the climatic moment of the story, it's just not anything special. Definitely a case of the plot coming second to raw information. Probably wouldn't actually recommend it to anyone else, but I'm definitely enjoying it and hopefully will finish it soon. It is taking longer than I'd hoped, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my week-away reading didn't go so well. I finished Galileo's Dream, alright, and (after popping into my charity shop and picking up two new books) started Lev Grossman's Codex, but the rest of my week was taken up by starting and finishing Final Fantasy XIII :lol:

Anyway, since then I've finished Codex - both books very good but nothing spectacular. Glad I read them though.

Have now moved onto Stephen King's Under The Dome, and having read nearly 400 pages in one day/night, I think it's safe to say I'm enjoying it. I won't even mind if I don't like the ending, because any book that holds my attention enough to read 400 pages in one day is not time wasted, even if I don't like how it all ends.

Andrea - no, I wasn't in the the right mindset for it I don't think. I loved what I read (about one third) but then put it down and just never picked it up again. I will do, though. I did enjoy Codex a lot. You know, I REALLY want to read The Viage, it sounded like an amazing read :giggle2: I was more enthralled by the three pages synopsising the codex itself than the entire novel overall!

Paula - no bother!! I'm a DISASTER for popping into people's reading logs, and when I do, I tend to browse and forget to post :blush:

Finished Under The Dome. I thought it was excellent - a long slog which I wouldn't read again, but anyone who goes on about 'no mention of the supernatural' or 'a cop out ending' is just plain wrong... so if you still want to read it knowing that, go ahead. I say it's great.

Next up is a book I bought randomly on the basis of a cool name and a pretty cover (and it's €6 price tag in Tesco!) - The Left Hand Of God by Paul Hoffman.

Finished Under The Dome. I thought it was excellent - a long slog which I wouldn't read again, but anyone who goes on about 'no mention of the supernatural' or 'a cop out ending' is just plain wrong... so if you still want to read it knowing that, go ahead. I say it's great.

Next up is a book I bought randomly on the basis of a cool name and a pretty cover (and it's €6 price tag in Tesco!) - The Left Hand Of God by Paul Hoffman.

I have 'Under the Dome' on my TBR list and I read 'The Left Hand of God' this year, it was a decent read, I hope you enjoy it hen :)

Edited by Weave