Your Book Activity Today - Take 8!

Echo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't get The Girl Who Played With Fire this morning, but I did buy Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell. I had a really long chat with the man who served me in Waterstone's about George Orwell - I love it when that happens! :) (Luckily there was another man serving and no queue).

I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind for The Secret Scripture, so I'm going to try The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Fingers crossed that I'll fall straight into this one, however, I suspect it will be a case of switching and swapping until I find one that suits my odd mood. I hate it when this happens :)

I think the thing that has been putting me off buying the Inkheart trilogy is that not everyone seems to love them, or that not all of them are great. I can't remember exactly (I should go and read the thread again), but it worries me a little. However, Noll, if you say that all three are definitely wonderful, then I'll trust you (no pressure :))

Yeah, a lot of people aren't completely blown away by them, and struggle with them in parts. I did myself, but overall I love them too much not to own them anyway, and I do think they're brilliant.

I am about halfway through The Road by Cormac McCarthy I'm enjoying it so far. It is quite easy to read but the content is tough in places. I desperately want these characters to be ok :)

I added this to my wish list just a few hours ago, will be interested to see what you make of it.

Joe- How are you finding Eclipse? I think I preferred it to new moon if I remember rightly.

I started The five people you meet in Heaven- Mitch Albom which has an interesting start to the story!

I doubt there'll be much blaming going on - The Book Thief is indeed brilliant; easily my best book of 2008, and officially the only book ever whose creative use of language (as opposed to plot) has inspired in me a dream so vivid I still remember it.

Steeeeve I think you have the greatest job in the whole wide world :)

If you don't like Book Thief, I will be blaming you for not having a great taste in books. :lol:

Hahaha. I'll do my best to enjoy it.

I am lucky to work there (usually only on Mondays though) in as much as I get to see all the good stuff as it comes in but the prices are the same for everyone. Charity/second hand bookshops rock my world.

Must have saved me well over a grand by now.

But just so I'm not always taking things off topic I am now going to carry on reading Vive La Revolution by Mark Steel and try not to get caught up reading the boards instead.

Steve, if from reading the book you're able guess my dream you're getting a present :D however, you're doomed to fail - it was but a very small detail that sparked my imagination; which only confirms how gobsmackingly good the writing is, if a very small detail can fire my subconscious like that.

:friends0:to all those who've lost their mojo, I know that feeling only too well!

Looks like my mojo just took a wee break this time. I finished Bone Cold by Erica Spindler on Sat night, then read Evermore by Alyson Noel yesterday and have started Lover Eternal by J R Ward today.

Finger crossed my mojo hangs around for a while :D

I have about 30 pages left of The Plucker by Brom, so I hope to finish that today. I also want to read a bit further in Something Fresh by PG Wodehouse and, in honour of Australia Day, I'm going to start on Melina Marchetta's On the Jellicoe Road.