Your Book Activity Today - Take 8!

Echo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received Terraplane by Jack Womack in the mail today, and I've read some more of The Hound of the Baskervilles. I can't wait to get further into this; it's shaping up to be a great mystery.

Edited by Kylie

Hi BookJumper, thank you for the reply :exc:. You're right regarding the novels age and style, it is difficult for me to get into. The language is 'archaic' (if that's the right word) and i feel out of my depth everytime i attempt to read it.I'll put Frankenstein on the (sparse) bookshelf for now and have a look at the link you provided. Thanks again.
No problem :) sometimes it's just not the right time to read a book; there's volumes I've had for years which changed my life when I eventually got round to reading them - but one cannot rush life-changing experiences I feel, they'll happen they're good and ready. I look forward to offering my recommending services on your forthcoming thread :D.

I'm going to finish Stardust by Neil Gaiman today
I take it from your grin that you are in possession of enjoyment regarding this marvellous Neil novel?

Firstly, Shakespeare's complete works in three hardback volumes. Pretty set

First, congrats on your haul :( secondly, may I be nosey and inquire as to what edition your Shakespeare is?

I'm going to finish Stardust by Neil Gaiman today :(

Ooooh how are you finding it? Have you read anything else by him? I've read a few of his book and have enjoyed them all :D He's great.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, Frankie! It's one of my very favourites books. Capote is awesome. :exc:

Kylie I was thinking about you when I bought it because I was sure it must be on your TBR list as well if you haven't read it already, so thanks for commenting because now I don't have to ask you yourself :( I'm so glad to hear you've read it and enjoyed it so much, I will definitely have to get reading this soon!

I was reading about In Cold Blood on wikipedia last night and noticed there were couple of other murderers that were referred to in the book and I read about them too, really awful stuff :D Then I somehow went to read further about true crime novels and new journalism and ended up reading about Tom Wolfe and his The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test novel which I now definitely want to read (it was on my TBR already but now I got really interested) and I even learnt that Ken Kesey'd been doing experiments on hallusinogenics and somehow I ended up reading about the Merry Pranksters and even Alfred Hoffman. It was very weird where I got in 1,5 hours when I started from Truman Capote's novel!

First, congrats on your haul :( secondly, may I be nosey and inquire as to what edition your Shakespeare is?

It's a generic compilation. It's been taken away to be wrapped as it's actually a Christmas prezzie so I can't check the info now - I'll let you know on Christmas day. But it's just a generic set thrown together to look pretty and make money, I only got it because A) I had no Shakespeare other than individual student copies of plays and :exc: for

Ooooh how are you finding it? Have you read anything else by him? I've read a few of his book and have enjoyed them all :( He's great.

This is the first one of his I've read and I only picked it up because I loved the film. I'm not quite enjoying it as much as I liked the film (can't help but compare them) but its still a good story :D I'll have to look out for more of his.

Ok, couldn't resist the lure of the 60%, 70% and 80% off posters in the Borders windows today, and despite the shelves being almost empty, I still managed to waltz off with the following haul for very little cash:

Merry Christmas, Blue Kangaroo! by Emma Chichester Clark

William - An Englishman by Cicely Hamilton

Murder Most Fab by Julian Clary

The Shoe Queen by Anna Davis

Tempted by P.C. and Kristin Cast

Jinx by Meg Cabot

Missing: Sanctuary by Meg Cabot

Missing: Missing You by Meg Cabot

Missing: Code Name Cassandra by Meg Cabot

Missing: When Lightning Strikes by Meg Cabot

Missing: Safe House by Meg Cabot

Just had a fantastic book result this weekend!!

Was visiting the mother-in-law in Surrey, and my sister-in-law wa there too and just happened to mention she had a few books she was taking to the charity shop boxed up, and offered fro me to have a look to see if there was any that I wanted. So, we go over to her house and there are 'seventeen' boxes full of books for my perusal!! Yippee!!:(

I've come home with probably over 100 books!!! Best christmas present ever!! And all for free!! (Well not quite....she's curently unemployed, and a bit skint, and she could have sold some of them no doubt, so I left a crafty

I was a bit naughty today - I was buying a book for Xander's Xmas and, because it was part of the 3 for 2 offer and I already had a couple of other books for him, I HAD to choose two for myself (so I chose ones that are not on my Xmas wishlist). I came away with two very unusual sounding boks that caught my eye:

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A E Moorat

There were many staff at Kensington Palace, fulfilling many roles; a man who was employed to catch rats, another whose job it was to sweep the chimneys. That there was someone expected to hunt Demons did not shock the new Queen; that it was to be her was something of a surprise.

London, 1838. Queen Victoria is crowned; she receives the orb, the sceptre, and an arsenal of blood-stained weaponry. Because if Britain is about to become the greatest power of the age, there s the small matter of the demons to take care of first...

But rather than dreaming of demon hunting, it is her love for Prince Albert that occupies her thoughts. Can she dedicate her life to saving her country when her heart belongs elsewhere?

With lashings of glistening entrails, decapitations, and foul demons, this masterly new portrait will give a fresh understanding of a remarkable woman, a legendary monarch, and quite possibly the best Demon Hunter the world has ever seen . . .

A E Moorat weaves a seamlessly lurid tapestry of royal biography, gothic horror and fist-gnawing comedy as he lifts the veil on what really took place on the dark and cobbled streets of 19th-century England.

Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero by Dan Abnet

Sir Rupert Triumff. Adventurer. Fighter. Drinker. Saviour? Triumff is a ribald historical fantasy set in a warped clockwork-powered version of our present day - a new Elizabethan age, not of Elizabeth II but in the style of the original Virgin Queen. Throughout its rollicking pages, Sir Rupert Triumff drinks, dines and duels his way into a new Brass Age of Exploration and Adventure.

I'm going to start reading Triumff tonight in the bath as I love the idea of a 21st century Elizabethan age!

Edited by Kell

'Salem's Lot is a great read in my opinion Ned :(

Making more progress on the short story The Langoliers by Stephen King.

Put 3 books on Bookmooch, one has been snapped up already! Sorted out my bookshelves a bit and officially have no space left! (not unless I want piles of books falling over all over the place!) God know what I'm gonna do with Christmas books (I usually get some)

I'm over halfway through my Titanic book, it's extremely comprehensive regarding the crew and passengers; names, actions, attitudes, deaths and survivals etc. Everybody knows Molly Brown and the band that played until the ship went down, but there are other bits too. The Junior Wireless officer, Harold Bride, whose superior Phillips failed to get the ice warnings to the captain throughout the 14th, refused to leave his post despite the captain's dismissal, and went down with the ship (as did Phillips). He survived being stuck in an air pocket for 45 minutes under a boat, and once aboard the Carpathian he started working, despite injury and exhaustion, with the Carpathian's wireless officer Cottam (whom he had earlier contacted with distress calls) sending telegrams documenting the names of the 700 odd surivors. Lots of photos of everyone too.

I've been to the library and taken out:

Ahern: Thanks for the Memories

I'd be interested to know what you thought of this? I loved her two other books I've read (Where Rainbows End and Ps I love you). This one didn't do it for me though.

I just ordered:

The Reader- Bernhard Schlink

Touch the Dark- Karen Chance

Entangled minds-Dean Radin

The Host- Stephanie Meyer

IThe Borders clearance really is irresistible isn't it? I'm sure I will find myself back in there before Christmas!

Urgh I hate not having a borders!! :(

I was a bit naughty today - I was buying a book for Xander's Xmas and, because it was part of the 3 for 2 offer and I already had a couple of other books for him, I HAD to choose two for myself (so I chose ones that are not on my Xmas wishlist). I came away with two very unusual sounding boks that caught my eye:

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A E Moorat

There were many staff at Kensington Palace, fulfilling many roles; a man who was employed to catch rats, another whose job it was to sweep the chimneys. That there was someone expected to hunt Demons did not shock the new Queen; that it was to be her was something of a surprise.

London, 1838. Queen Victoria is crowned; she receives the orb, the sceptre, and an arsenal of blood-stained weaponry. Because if Britain is about to become the greatest power of the age, there s the small matter of the demons to take care of first...

But rather than dreaming of demon hunting, it is her love for Prince Albert that occupies her thoughts. Can she dedicate her life to saving her country when her heart belongs elsewhere?

With lashings of glistening entrails, decapitations, and foul demons, this masterly new portrait will give a fresh understanding of a remarkable woman, a legendary monarch, and quite possibly the best Demon Hunter the world has ever seen . . .

A E Moorat weaves a seamlessly lurid tapestry of royal biography, gothic horror and fist-gnawing comedy as he lifts the veil on what really took place on the dark and cobbled streets of 19th-century England.

I am soooo wanting that book. I have read nothing but FANTASTIC reviews about it. Please let me know what you thought, if it is good, I may treat myself in the new year.

As for me. I FINALLY finished In the Blood and will try and write a review tonight. I have read 15 pages of Moon called by Patricia Briggs.