Your Book Activity Today - Take 8!

Echo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Poe's Masque of the Red Death again as it is one of my favourite stories and only a quick read, fantastic of course :giggle:

I read 'The Notebook' by Nicholas Sparks & 'Finn Family Moomintroll' by Tove Jansoon and I am about to start 'Shiver' by Maggie Stiefvater

:giggle:

I have just finished Richard Anderson's The Wonderful Adventure of Uncle Wizard. Will write my review later. I think I'll carry on reading Charles Dicken's The Cricket on the Hearth

Hope i'm not going off topic here, but wow, i'm absolutely stunned by the enthusiasm you guys have for book reading. I wish i was the same. My sister is an avid book-reader and lent me her copy of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Four months later it's still sitting on my bedside table and i've not got beyond the 1st page :blush:.

Thanks for posting on this thread everyone it's helping me to take some positive action over my lack of book reading :giggle:.

Edited by nightingale
spelling

Shelley's Frankenstein is a magnificent book (one of my very favourites, in fact) Nightingale, however given its age and style it's perhaps better read once one has already become an 'avid' reader.

If you go to our 'Looking for a Book' section here and post describing the kind of book you think might be easier for you to get into at this stage, I'm sure you'll receive many brilliant recommendations :blush:.

If you can't get through Frankenstein, chances are it's not the book for you right now; I'd return to it at a later stage... it does deserve it, I promise :giggle:.

Got me the following books from a secondhand bookshop today:

Constance Briscoe: Ugly

Stella Tillyard: Aristocrats: Caroline, Emily, Louisa and Sarah Lennox 1740-1832

Truman Capote: In Cold Blood

The first two were spontaneous buys, the last one has been on my To Be Read -list forever.

Also wanted to buy the next two Stephanie Plum books because I found them, but decided not to because I knew I'd get the from the library :giggle:

MuggleMagic, I know exactly what you mean. There was just no way of seeing it coming. And

Sue developing feelings for her was also very unexpected and then it all went upside down

. It's one of the most unexpected, shocking and leaving-me-breathless twists I've ever encountered. I'll let you read on, but just want to say that I'd like to hear what you thought of the book overall when you've finished it :giggle: Happy reading!

Truman Capote: In Cold Blood

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, Frankie! It's one of my very favourites books. Capote is awesome. :blush:

I bought 4 books yesterday then got home and realised I already had 2 of them. Oops. :giggle: The 2 new ones are:

Elizabeth Garner: The Ingenious Edgar Jones

Reif Larsen: The Selected Works of TS Spivet

I also bought a book of brainteasers. I was looking at my old maths work from school recently and realised I have completely lost all that knowledge so I've decided to try and get my brain in gear again.

I started reading The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and got about 14 pages in, then I was distracted by JK Rowling's Quidditch Through the Ages, which was sitting next to me, so I read that. Before I could get back to Conan Doyle, I was distracted again by a childhood book of mine, The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite. I've read a couple of chapters but I plan on going back to Conan Doyle now. :giggle:

I've been to the library and taken out:

Ahern: Thanks for the Memories

Jewell: Vince and Joy

Evanovich: Plum Lovin'

I've started reading Macomber: Christmas in Seattle

I really can't resist Borders now everything is so cheap! Today I got:

The book of Unholy Mischief- Elle Newman

I Fought the Law- Dan Kieran

A Girl Made of Dust- Nathalie Abi-Ezzi

The Third Angel- Alice Hoffman

I stopped at 4 before I ended up spending too much!

Oh and am almost halfway through The Lucifer Effect now

I'm reading The Secret Scripture :(

What do you think so far, this was the last book I read.

Got three awesome book sets today, I'm delighted!

Firstly, Shakespeare's complete works in three hardback volumes. Pretty set.

Secondly, Titantic: the story & facsimilies of various documents - reports, specifications documentation, register papers, telegrams, letters, etc. Fabulous collection.

Thirdly, Oscar Wilde - "A Life In Letters", edited by his grandson, Merlin Holland. Not a book which was on my biographies list but for €9 it was an awesome find, because it's a collection of Oscar's personal letters for all sorts of things from throughout his life - arguably more revealing of his true character than anything he ever said, because he was always working to keep himself mysterious.

Utterly thrilled with all three purchases - it's an awesome haul.

Shelley's Frankenstein is a magnificent book (one of my very favourites, in fact) Nightingale, however given its age and style it's perhaps better read once one has already become an 'avid' reader.

Hi BookJumper, thank you for the reply :(. You're right regarding the novels age and style, it is difficult for me to get into. The language is 'archaic' (if that's the right word) and i feel out of my depth everytime i attempt to read it.

I'll put Frankenstein on the (sparse) bookshelf for now and have a look at the link you provided. Thanks again.

Happy reading :D