Are you the 'main reader' in your house?

Michelle

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH always has a book on the go and his TBR is growing (though it's not as big as mine yet) I may have influenced him a little in this, he has branched out to some new authors and genres recently (by his own desire, but because I am a bookworm I guess I've encouraged it) I also can't resist buying him books for birthday, Christmas, anniversary etc :readingtwo:

Never heard of Hairy Maclary, so I'll have to look out for those. I'm ashamed to say that I've never liked the Dr Suess books though - can't stand them. :readingtwo:

You'll *love* the Hairy Maclary books, Kell! So will Taddy!

You should also look out for the 'Large family' books by Jill Murphy A Quiet Night In was a firm favourite in our house.

ETA: I forgot to answer the question! ;)

I do most of the reading in our house, but Mr B started reading for pleasure about 2 years ago - although he probably only reads 6 or 7 fiction books in the course of a year.

My daughter (aged 10) reads a little and goes in fits and starts, and my son (13) isn't interested in fiction at all (despite encouragement) but will read a motor magazine from cover to cover!

Both my husband and I are really into our books, but he is a faster reader than me and he also has an hour or so to travel each way on the tube to work so he gets more time to read. Our cat, Millie, also likes to curl up with me to read a good book. She also likes to lie on my husband when he reads in bed. I would say that Millie is the most prolific reader in the house and has the broadest taste in books!!:cry2:

:)

Both my husband and I are really into our books, but he is a faster reader than me and he also has an hour or so to travel each way on the tube to work so he gets more time to read. Our cat, Millie, also likes to curl up with me to read a good book. She also likes to lie on my husband when he reads in bed. I would say that Millie is the most prolific reader in the house and has the broadest taste in books!!:cry2:

Hehe - would Millie care to recommend anything?!

All my family HATE reading. My dad says he likes reading but he mostly buys first editions and puts them on the shelves for visitors to see *rolls eyes* I hate that. I keep my books hidden away in a walk in wardrobe. I like to go in and choose a book with the door closed and the little light on :-)

All my family HATE reading. My dad says he likes reading but he mostly buys first editions and puts them on the shelves for visitors to see *rolls eyes*

hahaha, DD buys first editions to put on the show (the ones he wants and we don't already have and his dad collected them too) but then he gets the book in a "normal" modern edition too, and reads it. He just hates reading really old books. I, on the other hand, love it.

Hi Janet!!

I have consulted with Millie and she highly recommends:

Nicholas Nickleby, by Charles Dickens,

Emma, by Jane Austin

Atonement by Ian McKewan

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

O'h, and she thoroughly enjoyed 'London' and 'Sarum' by Edward Rutherford.

She also liked the Philippa Gregory books about Anne Boleyn and Henry:

'The Other Boleyn Girl'

'The Virgin's Lover'

'The Queen's Fool'

'The Constant Princess'

'The Boleyn Inheritance'

and she is waiting for the latest one in the series to come out this September (She has forgotten the title - she is in her dotage at nearly 14 human years, which is 77 in cat years...:cry2:)

Millie would love to know if any of the above take your fancy?

Hugs 'n' Fishes from us all,

Kirsty!!

...and she is waiting for the latest one in the series to come out this September (She has forgotten the title - she is in her dotage at nearly 14 human years, which is 77 in cat years...:))

That might be The Other Queen - it's about Mary Queen of Scots (I believe). I'm a big fan of Philippa Gregory myself, so I think Millie and I would get on great (even if she'd make me sneeze - LOL!).

Hi Janet!!

I have consulted with Millie and she highly recommends:

Nicholas Nickleby, by Charles Dickens,

Emma, by Jane Austin

Atonement by Ian McKewan

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

O'h, and she thoroughly enjoyed 'London' and 'Sarum' by Edward Rutherford.

She also liked the Philippa Gregory books about Anne Boleyn and Henry:

Millie would love to know if any of the above take your fancy?

Thanks Millie

I have added Nicholas Nickleby to my Amazon Wishlist. I fancy trying some Dickens at some stage.

I'm afraid I gave up on Emma after about 50 pages last summer. Read Atonement years ago - and hated Catcher In The Rye (sorry!).

I haven't read any Philippa Gregory but might give one a whirl.

I think I have slightly different taste to Millie! :)

Hello Again!!!

Millie and I had to try about 12 times (no joking!!) to get into Emma, but we were determined to read it and we are glad that we were not defeatist. We found from Chapter 4 or 5 onwards it rapidly picked up pace and wit etc.

But, it is horses for courses. How boring if we were all the same!! My husband hated Catcher in the Rye, too. I thought I would not like either, the way he went on and on about it:lol:, but I really enjoyed it.

Millie has asked for recommendations from you, if you purrrlease:lol:

I don't have a pussycat to consult (they make me sneeze and wheeze) and I asked Tish (the goldfish) but he could only recommend Bob (the builder, I presume), so I would have to go with:

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Gentlemen and Players - Joanne Harris

My Family and Other Animals - Gerald Durrell

and a couple of newer ones

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones

The Book Thief - Markus Zusac

I imagine you may have read some of these already though. :)

Hi :)

Millie and I have 'The Book Thief', 'Rebecca' and 'My Family and Other Animals' as well as 'Catch me a Columbus' on our TBR List, so well done!!

I studied 'To Kill A Mockingbird' for GCSE and I absolutely loved that book. I want to read it again. The depth of the book, the message and the way it was written has always amazed me.

When I read Millie your email she did lick her lips at the mention of Tish :smile2:

I have nearly earned 1 credit for finishing my 3rd book from my Mount TBR. ( Wooooo-Hoooooooo):D

:011:

I don't have a pussycat to consult (they make me sneeze and wheeze) and I asked Tish (the goldfish) but he could only recommend Bob (the builder, I presume), so I would have to go with:

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Gentlemen and Players - Joanne Harris

My Family and Other Animals - Gerald Durrell

and a couple of newer ones

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones

The Book Thief - Markus Zusac

I imagine you may have read some of these already though. :)

It is good to see your pets enjoy reading;):D

I was going to say that I am the biggest reader in our house, but Katie gets through a fair few books a day. She must look through at least five a day properly. Millie is a big reader for her age too.

The only books my children could recommend though are for babies, although I did catch Katie looking through The Vampire's Secret, and the three of us read the bible together each morning too.

Millie is the most literate feline I know - even beating Samuel Johnsons' cat (in my humble opinion!) She will read with me tonight after having been out all day sunning herself whilst I am at work!! Funnily enough, Millie always knows when I am reading The Bible. She comes right up to it and purrs ( I am not joking). Once she was so happy, she dribbled on it, but I couldn't get cross with her as it was an accident and she is getting on a bit. She always rubs the hard cover of my Bible, but never ever does that to any other hard cover book I have. A very clever, well read and learned cat indeed!!

:D

I'm probably the biggest reader in my house, but my mother and sister enjoy reading too. Unfortunately, in recent years, my sister has swapped reading for partying and drinking - but she does still read when she can and enjoys doing English Literature. My mother is a school librarian, meaning her job revolves around reading children's books...so our house is full of them (much to our delight).

My dad prefers non-fiction, and doesn't read very much. The odd biography, auto-biography, or philosophical commentary.

Unfortunately I have no pets to consult on my choice of reading material.

I read the most in my family. The only person who ever had me beat in the "well read" department was my father. Once he passed away, I didn't have anyone to talk books with as much.

My husband does read but he doesn't have enough time.

The difference is my husband REMEMBERS everything he reads. I don't. I have a lousy memory for names and details.

It's nice though because I can reread stuff again and again. :smile2: