Top 5 Favourite Characters

Book Fiend

I did a quick search and I can't see an existing thread about this so here goes.....

Who are you top five favourite characters of all time?? The ones you would love to meet (or be!) in real life?

Mine are:

1 - Dumbledore (from Harry Potter) - Dumbledore is my inspiration! He's clever, he's funny and he's very very cool! This quote just about sums him up: "You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts...but you cannot deny he's got style"

2 - Lestat (from Anne Rices Vampire Chronicles) - Finally, a vampire who doesn't spend all his time moping about feeling guilty! He's very bad...but he makes it sound so much fun!

3 - The Marquis de Carabas (from Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman) - Another fantastically cool & clever character!

4 - Elizabeth Bennett (from Pride and Prejudice) - I love how witty and feisty she is, especially for the time the book was written.

5 - The Fool (from The Farseer Trilogy) - A mysterious, enigmatic, witty, incredibly sarcastic character with a heart of gold and a wonderful childlike quality.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anne Rice's Lestat - Deliciously bad and so shockingly self-indulgent about it, you can't help but love him.

Stefan (Anne Rice's Violin) - Tormenting the living? Check. Haunting them relentlessly? Check. Entrancing them with your otherwordly charm? Check. This guy is the perfect ghostly cocktail.

Tony Doubt (Olivia Liberty's Falling) - Tony is your average obsessive boyfriend... but there's a glimmer of sadness and desperation about him. Wonder why...

Henry Winter (Donna Tartt's Secret History) - I love academic types with a taste for murder...

Clare (Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveller's Wife) - I admire the way Clare deals with a husband that literally disappears at any given moment. She reminds me that sometimes it's worth hanging in there.

2 - Lestat (from Anne Rices Vampire Chronicles) - Finally, a vampire who doesn't spend all his time moping about feeling guilty! He's very bad...but he makes it sound so much fun!

I totally agree with Lestat :lol:

1. The Vampire Lestat (Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles). I think he's so well written and his dialogue is like honey ;). He's without a doubt my favourite character of all time....I just love to read about him. It's a shame Anne Rice has said that The Vampire Chronicles are at an end for her.

2. Tyler Durden (Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk). His utopian vision is crazy but has some valuable points in my opinion.

3. Joe Gargery (Great Expectations - Charles Dickens). The only man deserving of the title 'Gentleman' in the entire book.

4. Eric Northman (Southern Vampire Mysteries - Charlaine Harris). He cracks me up! And he's hot :smile2:

5. Oskar (Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Linqvist). Oskar is an innocent boy that bad things happen to. I found his relationship with Eli very endearing and pure.

- the Creature (Mary Shelley, Frankenstein or the Modern Prometheus): the archetypal avenger who just wants to be loved. How not to feel for him, how not to feel hatred and revulsion for the unthinking would-be God who gave him life only to desert him?

- Hercules Barefoot (Carl-Johan Vallgren, The Horrific Sufferings of Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred): the closest modern literature has come to producing another Creature. Very much like Dumas's Edmond Dant

1. Sirius Black from Harry Potter by JK Rowling.

2. Eric Northman from Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris.

3. Paul Edgecomb from Green Mile by Stephen King.

4. Ebenezer Scrooge from Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

5. Offred from Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

If I thought about it longer, I would probably get five different people :smile2:

1) Jacqueline Levy-Monot, a fabulous character that kidnaps your admiration and heart in Marge Piercy's 'Gone To Soldiers'

2) Mallory, the complicated hard-to-love heroine of Carol O'Connell's compelling series of books.

3) Thursday Next. To those who know her, they will know why.

4) Septimus Heap, a beautiful soul of a boy found in Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series of books.

5) Will Trent, the crushed and damaged optimist investigator in Karin Slaughter's 'Triptych', 'Fractured' and 'Genesis'.

Edited by Chrissy
Changed my mind on number 5!

• 2 months later...

Rhett Butler- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Darrel Curtis- The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

Louis de Pointe du Lac- Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice

Grace Adams- Malice by Danielle Steel

Celie Harris Johnson- The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Anna - Mr God This Is Anna by Fynn

Articus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (my absolute favourite male character of all time)

Tasslehoff Burrfoot - from Dragonlance series by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman

Bertie Wooster - Jeeves and Wooster by P.G.Wodehouse

Ratty and Mole - Wind In the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Thursday Next, she's just cool.

Eric Northman, yum yum yum.

Anita Blake, she wouldn't be so great to go to the pub with but if I got into a scrap I would like her to have my back.

Jacob Black, one of my favourite warewolves.

Rincewind, everyones favourite wizard.

I just realised that Thursday's the only proper human in the list!:)

Archie Goodwin - Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout

Jack Crabb - Little Big Man by Thomas Berger

David Axelrod - Endless Love by Scott Spencer

Harrriet Dufresnes - The Little Friend by Donna Tartt

Lisbeth Salander - The Girl Who...mysteries by Stieg Larsson

Sherlock Holmes

Brother Cadfael

Crowner John (stories about a coroner in Exeter during Richard I's reign)

Daniel Jacquot (series featuring a French Detective and ex Rugby player)

Morse

It's hard but off the top of my head I will go with:

Randle McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

Captain Sam Vimes - Dicsworld Books

DEATH - The Discworld Books

Ron Weasley - Harry Potter Series

Saphira (and Eragon) from the Inheritance Cycle

but as other people have said, these change all the time as I discover new characters, and read different parts of books where characters come across differently.

Right now:

George Emerson from A Room with a View

Albus Dumbledore from The Harry Potter series.

Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye

Anne Elliot from Persuasion

Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird

I was thinking about some characters from East Of Eden, but I couldn't decide.

Wow this is a hard one! Here are my five I'm thinking of now, but I'll probably change my mind later.

Julian Kestrel - From the Julian Kestrel mystery series by Kate Ross

Edmond Dantes - The Count of Monte Cristo by Edgar Dumas

Bernadette Hogan - Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy

Jonathan Argyle - From the art history mystery series by Iain Pears

Aleinor De La Chapelle - The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier

@Lucybird Oh really? I thought Ron was great! However this is entirely off the top of my head with no real thought as there are countless characters I love.

And yeah Death is amazing!

@Dimitra yeah, Ron only made it in to mine because I haven't really thought very deeply about it. He is just one that popped into my head as a character I liked when I glanced at the books on my shelves.

My choices are:

1. Lyra from His Dark Material trilogy by Philip Pullman.

2. Marianne from The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson.

3. Charlotte from Charlottes web by E.B. White.

4. Lisbeth Salander from Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson.

5. Cecilla and Robbie from Atonment by Ian McEwan.

1. Jean Valjean - Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.

I love how he is a near Christ figure in many ways. He's my favourite fictional character ever!

2. Gandalf - The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

Ah! Mithrandir! Without him there is no old Wizard that Merlyn of old used to be! The scene where he kicks Balrog ass is priceless!

3. Matrim Cauthon - The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

He saves most of the series with his character. In many ways, he is what Merry of LOTR should have been.

Doviandi se tovya sagain! Carai al Caldazar! Al Ellisande!

4. Holy Belgarath - The Belgariad and the Mallorean by David and Leigh Eddings

Holy, considering he is Aldur's slowest student. Beldin is more hilarious in more ways than one but then again what the heck. Add Polgara to the scene and the books become hilarious!!

5. Albus Dumbledore - The Harry Potter series by J K Rowling.

Albus Percival Brian Wulfric Dumbledore. One of the sole reasons that I read the series. I knew he defined the word badass in so many ways when he said he treasured his chocolate frog card more than his order of merlin. Heck, I'm like him in a way. I want to be a published writer if only to get myself an entry in the world encyclopedia.

"Well - it's just that you seem to be labouring under the delusion that I am going to - what is the phrase? - come quietly. I am afraid that I am not going to come quietly at all, Cornelius. I have absolutely no intention of being sent to Azkaban. I could break out, of course - but what a waste of time, and frankly, I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing."

Edited by vinay87

This is really interesting isn't it?

Atticus Finch is a brilliant one, I find him really hard to top.

I think the only other character who's stayed with me in the same way is Lang Rab /Long Rob in Sunset Song. I was so in love with him, he was my first book-love!

I find something really appealing about Emma from, er, "Emma" too - I think it's her faults that make her quite likeable.

I'll probably spend the next 2 days thinking about this now...