Pumpkin Pie

poppy

I'm not sure if it's traditional to make Pumpkin Pie for Halloween or if it's more of a Thanksgiving thing, but with all the pumpkin pictures around, I thought it would be a good time to make one. I found this recipe on the internet and it's absolutely scrummy.

:)

Pumpkin Pie

2 cups pumpkin puree

2 tablespoons melted butter

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups milk

1 tsp vanilla

2/3 cup brown sugar

1/8 tsp salt (I left this out)

1 1/4 tsp gound cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp ground ginger

9 inch shortcrust pie crust

1. Place pumpkin in bowl, add melted butter, stir well.

2. Beat eggs well, beat in milk, sugar, vanilla and spices.

3. Add pumpkin puree, mix well (I did this with a blender - makes it lovely and smooth)

4. Pour into pie shell.

Bake at 425F (215 C ) for 10 mins. Reduce to 350F (180C ) and bake 30-40 mins or until filling firm.

Cool. Serve with whipped cream.

Pumpkin puree is available in cans or tins in the USA apparently, not sure about Gt Britain. I just boiled some pumpkin pieces then blended them.

Normally we are pretty boring pie people, Poppy, but the traditional Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without pumpkin and also pecan pie (although pecan is not my fave, ick). Sometimes we have apple too, which is yummy! Last year my mom made an apple crumble recipe that she got from my sister's Scottish mother-in-law, and OMG it was excellent. I'll see if I can get that recipe and post it :).

It's almost identical to the recipe I use, but I roast my pumpkin and use evaporated milk for extra flavour and richness.

You can order the canned pumpkin online - I did that the first time. :)

Oooh this recipe does look delicious Poppy, I might give it a try with the pumpkin pieces, how much did you use?

I just sort of looked at the pieces and imagined them squashed up to make 2 cups Charm :) I'm a bit hit and miss about these things ....I don't think you need to be too exact.

ps. just did this again and about 600gm of raw, peeled pumpkin should give you 2 cups of puree.

Normally we are pretty boring pie people, Poppy, but the traditional Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without pumpkin and also pecan pie (although pecan is not my fave, ick). Sometimes we have apple too, which is yummy! Last year my mom made an apple crumble recipe that she got from my sister's Scottish mother-in-law, and OMG it was excellent. I'll see if I can get that recipe and post it :D.

Thanks peacefield, I'd love to try that recipe :motz:

It's almost identical to the recipe I use, but I roast my pumpkin and use evaporated milk for extra flavour and richness.

You can order the canned pumpkin online - I did that the first time. :)

I saw where they said to roast the pumpkin too ...that would make it beautiful and rich. I didn't have evaporated milk but a lot of the recipes used that and I'm sure that would be even nicer.

Edited by poppy