Favourite Book Series

I like his ideas too, Bemii :P I've also read the companion guide to the series called Bogus to Bubbly, where I learnt that a lot of his ideas are actually in existence already! Or he's just built a bit further on them. It makes for interesting reading.

Ooo, I must find this guide!

I love Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. They have a real quality to them and are probably my favourite books :D The Harry Potter series is another amazing series......I've read a million times and never get bored! I'm also a fan of The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris and am waiting patiently (ish) for the next book!

I try not to read many series as they're serious shelf-stealers; however, here are my favourites and how many books into them I am:

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (5/5)

Jasper Fforde, Thursday Next (2.5/5)

Terry Pratchett, Discworld (6 and 4 halves or so/37... man, I've got some catching up to do)!

Favourite series of all time? Probably Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey series.

Other favourites include Thursday Next, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Commissario Brunetti, The Barchester Chronicles, VI Warshawski, the Baroque Cycle (including Cryptonomicon), Sherlock Holmes.

As a child I adored first of all Paddington Bear, then the Swallows and Amazons, and later the Hornblower series.

I don't really think of trilogies as full blown series (although I know they are), especially Lord of the Rings - which has always been one very long book to me, but certainly rate that and His Dark Materials up there too.

I can see children rating Harry Potter really highly, and as an adult I certainly found them entertaining, but I have to admit (ready to be shot down in flames), I can't understand adults raving about them to the extent that they feature so highly on must read and favourites lists. Interestingly, in my recent classes (I'm a primary teacher, year 5), Harry Potter has been overtaken in popularity by Alex Rider, Lemony Snickett, Casson family, Hungry Cities and more recently Cat Royal series.

Edited by willoyd

Other favourites include Thursday Next, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,VI Warshawski, Sherlock Holmes.

I don't really think of trilogies as full blown series (although I know they are), especially Lord of the Rings - which has always been one very long book to me, but certainly rate that and His Dark Materials up there too.

Agree, agree, agree. VI? I love Sara Paretsky's heroine! :D

I'll add to my favorite book series; Carol O'Connor's Mallory books, Peter Robinson's Alan Banks series, Val McDermid's Tony Hill series, Dorothy L Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey, Angie Sage's Septimus Heap, Manda Scott's Boudicca books, and her Kellen Stewart series.

I'm done with 2 of the 3 books from The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen, and they're really fun. :friends0: Starting the 3rd today, so as long as it's not awful, I feel comfortable saying the series is really good, if you don't mind a bit of chick lit.

The Dark Is Rising is one of your favourites noll? Wow.. I have the series on my shelves, my Auntie bought me them a few months before she passed away. I couldn't get into them the first time, I think maybe I owe it to her to start again.

I grew up with The Dark Is Rising. Personally I didn't like them as a kid, but wanted to, so I'm re-reading them now - I flew through the first book, and am struggling with the rest as the latter books take a massive turn for the fantasy side of things and the first is pure adventure.

I wrote a review here of the first book if you want to read it.

I'm about 4 books behind in my personal reviews so it's actually the most recent one.

oh, there are so many......!!

LOTR

Pliocene Saga by Julian May

Harry Potter (of course!)

and I'm currently reading

Rebus - Ian Rankin. Don't know whether Rebus books count as a series, especially as I'm reading them out of order, but I do enjoy them.

and the original James bond books. - I've been getting them from the library and I AM trying to read these in order. Need to find a copy of On Her Majesty's Secret Service.