Films that should have had sequels?

Suburbanite

I just watched Copycat on TV the other day. I guess it was always going to come off second best, being released the same year as Se7en, but I thought it was really good.

I just thought that the ending seemed to really want to hint that there was more to come. Pity it never did.

What other films really meant/deserved sequels?

Even though they messed up Northern Lights/The Golden Compass, I really wanted the sequel to make it to the screen - I so wanted to see Will and the Subtle Knife

Are they not making a sequel to The Golden Compass? I thought the film version was a bit disappointing, but everyone said (ala Ed Wood) how the 'next one will be better' so I considered it was in the pipeline?

Haven't seen that yet, but I hear it was successful, so that's normally a sign Hollywood will try to cash in (Saw VI anyone?)

District 9 is brilliant and if you like sci-fi you will love it. Normally, I wouldn't encourage sequels but District 9 is SO good... kinda open ended.

SAW VI! Nahhh... I'll give that a miss :P Couldn't get through the first one :s

Are they not making a sequel to The Golden Compass? I thought the film version was a bit disappointing, but everyone said (ala Ed Wood) how the 'next one will be better' so I considered it was in the pipeline?

The Golden Compass tanked at he box office - the studio behind it though they would have another Harry Potter on their hands, it didn't quite work out like that and with all the story shredding they would have to do in the next two films, to keep the American right happy, I think they decided to quietly sweep the series under the carpet . . .

I really hope they make a sequel to District 9

District 10, perhaps?

The Golden Compass tanked at he box office - the studio behind it though they would have another Harry Potter on their hands, it didn't quite work out like that and with all the story shredding they would have to do in the next two films, to keep the American right happy, I think they decided to quietly sweep the series under the carpet . . .

District 10, perhaps?

exactly :P

With that kind of title the series could run for many centuries!

that's true but if/when you watch the film you will see how appropriate that title would be

Some Like It Hot - that's one of my favourite movies and I would have liked to have seen more of their adventures, particularly Daphne/Jerry and Osgood :P.

American Beauty - I love this movie and would have liked to have seen more of the reaction around the last 10 minutes of the film :D

I would LOVE to see a really good sequel that follows the characters after te events of Harvey.

Similarly, I think it would have been a lot of fun to follow the further adventures of Walter and Hildy in His Girl Friday. (Are you sensing a threme here yet? I LOVE old screwball comedies - actually, I think loads of them would have been ripe for sequels!)

I also think it would have been very interesting to see Vertigo from Madeleine/Judy's point of view.

Of course, I would have wanted all these to have the original cast members in them too, so there's no way any of them would live up to my expectations if they were made today. :P

I also think it would have been very interesting to see Vertigo from Madeleine/Judy's point of view.

I'd love to see how it would turn out!

I'd also love to see someones take on a sequel to 'The Birds' and get an explanation as to why..

they attacked the town for no good reason

.. although I suppose that's what gives the film it's magic.

I'd also love to see someones take on a sequel to 'The Birds' and get an explanation as to why..

they attacked the town for no good reason

.. although I suppose that's what gives the film it's magic.

Unbelieveably, I only watched The Birds for the first time the other week. I have to agree with that - it was left at a critical stage.

Did Hitchcock ever make a sequel himself?

Edited by Suburbanite
Additional text added

I heard that a film about Henry VIII had to have a name change in America because movie bosses were worried that prospective viewers would think that it was part of a series and they had missed the first seven parts. I don't know if this is true but i would like to believe it.

They had that with 'The Madness Of King George'. The original story / play by Alan Bennett was called 'The Madness of George III', but someone decided that American audiences would get confused.

This irritates the hell out of me. The type of person who couldn't understand a royal title may include numbers is probably not the type of person who would want to see such films, so for whose benefit are these executives dumbing down the title?

Edited by Chrissy
I have clearly lost my ability to spell simple words correctly.

That could be it i was thinking Henry VIII was wrong when i read it back and thought about it.

It would surprise you who it would confuse, i would wager that a fair portion of school aged children/young adults in our country would be confused with it as well.

Unbelieveably, I only watched The Birds for the first time the other week. I have to agree with that - it was left at a critical stage.

Did Hitchcock ever make a sequel himself?

No, he never made a sequel.

When I first saw it I was a bit frustrated with the ending, but in hindsight I love that it was left unresolved. It really makes it much more scary I think.