What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really lost my reading mojo after being ill so I am trying to get back into it by reading something simple and light. I picked up Live The Dream by Josephine Cox and am really enjoying it at the moment. Really easy to read and just what I need at the moment :D

I've started to put my Christmas orders in with Amazon today. Two books for my Dad: The Newspapermen and the Yiddish Policemen's Union and Breaking Point (short stories by Daphne du Maurier) for me.

The problem is that each time I put in an order for family/friends, I tend to slip one in for myself.:smile2::D

Problem? I don't understand. I think maybe you've misunderstood the meaning of that word ... I believe the word you're looking for is "benefit", as in saving time, money on postage and effort in placing a separate order.

Problem? I don't understand. I think maybe you've misunderstood the meaning of that word ... I believe the word you're looking for is "benefit", as in saving time, money on postage and effort in placing a separate order.

So your saying to OP we can't really afford not to benefit by ordering extra for ourselves .. I for one never looked at it like that :smile2:

Woop! I'm off to Amazon to save some money :D

;)

Waiting for my police check to come through for the last week before i can start my first child care job so i have had lots of free time, to top it all my laptop broke so i didn't have any internet either. I've got through:

Love All The People - Bill Hicks

Origin Of Species - Darwin

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams

A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

Seven Troop - Andy McNab (re read)

Extras, The Scripts - Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant

Now i am almost finished with Dorian Gray. I still have plenty of reading time ahead, even though my check finally came through my job doesn't start until the first Monday in December.

Finished to kill a mockingbird. Brilliant book, can see why you put it on top of the bcf must read list.

Now about 30 pages into a clockwork orange, and just starting to get my head around the strange language. A great read so far.

Excellent. :D Two of my favourite books. I had to print out a list from the internet translating the language used in the book. The further I got, the less I had to refer to it, but it was handy to have it there!

I've read 130 pages of The Shadow of the Wind and received three more books in the mail yesterday:

twentytwelve by Andrew Keogh

Messenger by Lois Lowry

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

Finished Keeping The World Away by Margaret Forster - feeling ambivalent towards this book - some intriguing and thought provoking ideas on how life can affect a female artist, but unconvincing coincidental relationships and meetings between the various lead characters.

Up next will be Getting Mad, Getting Even by Annie Sanders (my favourite chick-lit author).

I haven't read much of The Shadow of the Wind today because I've been distracted by other things. Hopefully I'll get a bit read tonight.

I received two more books in the mail today:

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy (Frankie, another from Rory's book list! Have you read it?)

Oooh I'll be interested in your thoughts on The Stars my Destination Kylie, I've been recommended it and it sounds like it has an interesting premise but I've read there's a fair share of S&V and we don't want that :D!

I thought I had seen you mention this book somewhere, Giulia. :smile2: I'll be sure to let you know what the content is like. I have read some reviews that indicate the main character is a naughty fellow, so I wouldn't be surprised!

The copy I received has a completely cracked spine, like it has already been read. Broken spines are an absolute pet hate of mine! I know they can't be avoided sometimes, particularly with quite long books, but I would have been able to read this easily without breaking the spine. :D They have also slipped a bookmark into the book though. I wonder if that is meant to pacify me? (It does, just a tiny bit.)

I haven't read much of The Shadow of the Wind today because I've been distracted by other things. Hopefully I'll get a bit read tonight.

I received two more books in the mail today:

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy (Frankie, another from Rory's book list! Have you read it?)

Oooh good old They Shoot Horses, Don't They?! Yes I've read the book, I think twice. It was on some US literature course I took some years ago. I still have a copy of it, can you believe our professor photocopied the whole book and gave us all this chunk of paper to read it from? :D It was actually a really good book! And, if you remember the dance marathon episode from the Gilmore Girls on Season 3 (?),

Rory eyeing Jessie who was trying to make her jealous by hanging out with that blonde bimbo, and in that episode Dean finally realised what was going on and dumped Rory

, the name of the episode was "They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?". Guess where that title comes from? :smile2: I wont say too much about the book, but a dance marathon is involved and that's how the Gilmore Girls came to borrow the title ;)

I also love the play :D and if it's any encouragement, I honestly consider it to be the most faithful adaptation of the book I've seen (and I've seen most). It works IMHO because while film directors wishing to keep the duration under three hours must cut out 70% of the book, the emotive power of song allows to concentrate whole chaptersw into a few minutes. One of the best examples of this is the

'Javert Derails'

chapter, which directly corresponds to

Javert's Suicide

in the play and does a marvellous job of it. Especially as sung by Philip Quast, of course.

the name of the episode was "They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?". Guess where that title comes from? :D I wont say too much about the book, but a dance marathon is involved and that's how the Gilmore Girls came to borrow the title ;)

Ohhh, I didn't realise that's why the book was on the list! Thanks for clearing that up. I should have realised when I read the blurb and saw it was about a dance marathon. I might bump it nearer the top of my TBR pile as it's nice and short. :D

Guest velocipede2288
I'm currently dipping in and out of Modern Delight - which is a book of very short (one or two page) essays by various celebrities on what give them delight. I'm loving it!

It's a Waterstones exclusive and is based on the book Delight by J B Priestley (which I intend to buy sometime soon!) which was first published in 1949.

Love J.B. Priestley. I have 13 of his books, but never read Delight, I shall have to look out for it. The Good Companions is my favourite of his works.

I had to print out a list from the internet translating the language used in the book. The further I got, the less I had to refer to it, but it was handy to have it there!

My OH had the dictionary in the back of her copy when she read it, she said it helped loads but I kind of like the process of working them out through the text as I go along, I am probably missing some important plot points though. May require a re-read with a printed out list.