What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, why would you even want to resist buying Breaking Dawn, catwoman?! :) There no use even trying! :irked:

Edit: I moved my thoughts on Karin Slaughter's Faithless and Indelible in the Karin Slaughter thread because I felt I was going way off topic :lol:

Edited by frankie

Oooh, why would you even want to resist buying Breaking Dawn, catwoman?! :) There no use even trying! :lol:

I think I know what you mean about Indelible, but for my part I have to say that I thought it was probably the most gripping novel, after the first Grant County novel. The events in the present were just so "out of nowhere, smackdown in the middle of the blue" if one can say so, if you know what I mean. And the events in the past were incredible, and it was so weird and creepy to discover that they'd already gone through so much in their youth. I have to say

poor Possum, I thought he might turn out to be the bad guy who raped that girl... Julia? I'm sorry Possum, how could I ever think something like that of you?? I sorta felt for Robert, it had to have been hard to for him to hate himself for what he was. Not that I thought he had a real reason for it, but he couldn't help thinking he was sick. Did you read what Slaughter had written after the end of the novel? She mentioned Billy Jack Gaither as a real victim of gay bashings, I had to google his name and the story was so awful ;)

With Faithless I'm thinking I cannot stand

Sara Linton. When she found out about Jeffrey's possible hepatitis, she was concerned about herself and her patients and mad because he hadn't told her immediately. Not once has she asked him how he's feeling and shown her support. I mean of course she should worry about herself and her patients, that's very responsible and wise of her but it doesn't mean she can't be supportive of her OH as well. I'd like to give her a piece of my mind!!! And Lena, what on earth is she doing with Ethan?? I've never understood her character, I just cannot see her reasoning for her actions.

Haha ther are quite a few of us on here who do not like Lena. :irked: I do find her character had to understand and like soemtimes. Indeliable was a good book, at the beginning I was worried I was not going to like it as much but fell in love with it. Was not oneof my favs but not my least favourite.

As for Sara.

I think it was yet another thing that reminded her of Jeff's bad points and the stuff that he did in the past. Just another thing that stopped her from trying to put the past behind her.

Haha ther are quite a few of us on here who do not like Lena. :) I do find her character had to understand and like soemtimes. Indeliable was a good book, at the beginning I was worried I was not going to like it as much but fell in love with it. Was not oneof my favs but not my least favourite.

As for Sara.

I think it was yet another thing that reminded her of Jeff's bad points and the stuff that he did in the past. Just another thing that stopped her from trying to put the past behind her.

I'm sure we could have a discussion on Lena in the Karin Slaughter thread and no matter how long we talked about her she wouldn't start making any sense! But I think it's good that there are characters which we don't understand too, it would be all too easy to read about pleasant, straightforward characters :irked:

As for Sara, you're absolutely right in what you said, but

heck it's been five years!!! She needs to make the conscious decision to let it go if she's to carry on with Jeff.

I started this today. Haven't gotten very far yet, but it is very promising!

I'm so glad you're liking it. After almost 200 pages I'm happy to report that it just gets better. It's genuine Toews.* I adore Thebes! She's hilarious. And similarly she makes me want to hug her real tight.

*Does that name have some sort of superpowers or something? 'Cause there's a hockey superstar by that name too! *laughs*

I'm so glad you're liking it. After almost 200 pages I'm happy to report that it just gets better. It's genuine Toews.* I adore Thebes! She's hilarious. And similarly she makes me want to hug her real tight.

*Does that name have some sort of superpowers or something? 'Cause there's a hockey superstar by that name too! *laughs*

I know! It's just so funny and sad at the same time! I'm only 3 chapters in and there have been several passages were I thought "oh that's a really funny quote, I should keep it", and then remembered just what the woman was talking about...

I love Hattie's voice and how she describes everything, including the conversations... It doesn't weird me out like Nomi's did in A Complicated Kindness either, which is good!

I've just started Bitten by Kelley Armstrong today and I'm enjoying it so far. Although I don't think it's the type of book that'll keep me glued to the pages, I'm interested to see where it's headed which is always a good sign eh! :)

I've read another good chunk of The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear. I should be over halfway through by tonight (it's 700 pages long). I'm adoring this book. I keep reading out passages to my OH and he likes what's he heard so much that he wants to borrow it.

I've also read another chapter or two of The Sign of Four and I'm also really enjoying it. I should get it finished by tomorrow.

I've read another good chunk of The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear. I should be over halfway through by tonight (it's 700 pages long). I'm adoring this book. I keep reading out passages to my OH and he likes what's he heard so much that he wants to borrow it.

I've also read another chapter or two of The Sign of Four and I'm also really enjoying it. I should get it finished by tomorrow.

Sounds like another convert to Walter Moers's books - ive still to finish 'Rumo', but what i've read its very good....

I've just started Bitten by Kelley Armstrong today and I'm enjoying it so far. Although I don't think it's the type of book that'll keep me glued to the pages, I'm interested to see where it's headed which is always a good sign eh! :D

Oooh I hope you like it, Nicola! I just finished the second book in the series, 'Stolen,' and am itching to get to the next one.

I haven't had any book activity yet today but it's still early, so hopefully I'll get to squeeze in some of The Lost Symbol before bed tonight. :D

Sounds like another convert to Walter Moers's books - ive still to finish 'Rumo', but what i've read its very good....

I'm definitely a convert! I have already ordered The City of Dreaming Books and will hopefully receive it next week. I'll look forward to more comments from you after you've finished Rumo!

I am about 1/3 of the way through 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest'.

I'm really enjoying it and wish that I could read more of it but I am a bit busy with work at the moment so I am having to constrain myself to one or two chapters a night.

I finished Coraline :D and now I'm trying to get through my library books before they have to go back, so next up is Nicola Davies - Home

Thrilling futuristic science fiction with an environmental slant. It's 2067 and the world has become virtually uninhabitable with all the pollution and toxins created by mankind. Ruling classes live holed up in the cities and workers live in Stations, safe from the outside world. But one day Station 27 is taken over by rebels. Nero, from the ruling classes, and Sacks, a worker, find themselves thrown together as they're captured by the rebels, their common enemy. As they begin to discover the terrifying truth about their world, the two children get separated and find themselves in great danger. Will they find each other before it is too late?

I haven't read anything in ages because I have had a nasty flu :D

:D aww .. not good :D Hope you feel much better soon!

I'm well into The Lost Book Of Salem by Katherine Howe and loving it so far, gonna go now and read some more of it. :D

Ooooh I've just noticed I'm over 5000 posts now too! :D

Way to go, Charm!! Good for you :D. I'm SO glad you are enjoying Salem, too. I know I probably sound like a broken record because I ask everyone this, but have you met Sam and do you like him??

I got about 50 pages read of The Lost Symbol when I got home from work earlier and hopefully I'll get more in before I fall asleep for the night. Pretty exciting stuff so far!

I received The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson from The Book Depository today. I only ordered it late last week and wasn't expecting it until mid next week! Happy Kylie :D

I'm about to do my favourite thing ever: read in my armchair in the library while a thunderstorm rages outside. :D

What good is a security companion if he a) doesn't make sure you wake up on time, or :D make sure you put down your book and leave for work on time? I'm just asking... I did finish The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews this morning, though. I loved it, just like I loved the two other books by her. December's going to be so good!

I received The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson from The Book Depository today. I only ordered it late last week and wasn't expecting it until mid next week! Happy Kylie :D

I'm about to do my favourite thing ever: read in my armchair in the library while a thunderstorm rages outside.

I spy with my little eye that someone's got another Rory book on their collection! :D Was this the reason you got it or have you heard somewhere else that it's good, or are you just otherwise interested? I hope it's good! :D

Charm you busy little poster :D Congrats on the 5k :D I'm excited to hear that you're enjoying The Lost Book of Salem, I intend to read it myself some day. Peace has gotten us all really giddy with this book :D

Peace, good to hear you're enjoying The Lost Symbol so far!

Nollaig, I hope you like the book. Is it hard to concentrate on? Definitely not the easiest read at least. I remember it being a bit difficult.

I'm 62 pages into Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow. It's quite interesting.

That's the Danish guy, right? I've often debated about his books, to read or not to read, and would love to her what you make of them.